Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Martin O'Neill has resigned

...apparantly

"...the Villa Park chief has resigned following a disagreement with chairman Randy Lerner.

It is understood that the club's American owner wanted to trim the playing squad and cut the wage bill this summer, while O'Neill wanted money to spend to bolster his squad to continue their challenge to break into the top four".

Click here for story

Comments

• Stange news.

I like O'Neill a lot, met him many years ago when Forest took a Christmas break in Benidorm.

I was there with my mates and we ended up out with them most nights. Had a great time with him, John Robertson, Archie Gemill and the rest.
  • Collymore has been out gobbing off saying it's rubbish.

Apparently he will go in the close season.
  • I doubt it.
  • to join charlton?
  • Get on the phone to him, Murray
  • Martin Out?

Thought that was Ricky, not O Neill?
  • edited March 2010
    Curbishley will replace him
  • [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Curbishley will replace him

good shout, especially if he expects him to work to a budget. expect a huge backlash there from the fans..
  • False alarm, all cobblers according to SSN
  • [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Curbishley will replace him

good shout, especially if he expects him to work to a budget. expect a huge backlash there from the fans..
    Though some fans probably think he's not good enough, £4m on Harewood, £3.5m on Heskey, whatever they paid for Shorey etc. I suppose they are Aston Villa's equivalent of Parky's signings of Mooney, Akpo and Llera...
  • Sponsored links:

• still the best villa team since the early 80s
  • [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]still the best villa team since the early 80s

Bit harsh on Dalian Atkinson & co there choice!

Can't see MON leaving Villa til Ferguson retires from United, in which case I think Man Utd will come in for him.
  • Maybe it's in protest like Clough used to do and perhaps Learner has called his bluff. Terrible day for Villa if it's true.

TalkSport saying it could be due to Learner agreeing to sell Milner to Man Utd.

Curbs is a good shout and Mark Hughes would be too.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Curbs is a good shout and Mark Hughes would be too.

does anyone here rate mark hughes?
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Villa denying it

so basically he has walked out and the chairman has told the club to deny it in the hope that they can buy a bit of time and resolved it so no one is any the wiser
  • [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Villa denying it

so basically he has walked out and the chairman has told the club to deny it in the hope that they can buy a bit of time and resolved it so no one is any the wiser

Or else it didn't happen, so they're denying it because it's not true
  • If the Milner rumour is true then you can understand O'Neil's frustration. Very similar to Parker leaving us and Carrick leaving Spurs and even Barry being unsettled by Liverpool. As soon as the big clubs think a team from outside the top four has the potential to threaten a Champions League place, they but up their players.
  • Directions for travel to Mr Murrays office at The Valley being sent in the post to Mr O'Neill. (Sound of cornflakes being eaten)
  • Nothing regarding this on the BBC Ceefax pages....which are usually bang up to date with news and gossip....leaning towards being a non story.