Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

smoking in cars to be banned?

I think anyone who smokes in a car with kids in should be ashamed of themselves, however they proberly smoke in doors in the close vacinety of their kids so the damage is already done,

saying that i think that if you they ban people smoking in cars with children in a very worthy cause

as for banning people with no kids in the cars from smoking i reckon it is a step too far.

ex smoker here btw

Comments

• might as well just ban smoking altogether...

(I don't smoke btw...never have done, don't like it and won't let anyone smoke either in my car or my house)
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]might as well just ban smoking altogether...

(I don't smoke btw...never have done, don't like it and won't let anyone smoke either in my car or my house)

With you on that one.
  • I hate it when I am walking down the street and get stuck behind someone who is smoking and cant get passed them - the smoke seems to aim for my mouth! Doubt if they would ban that but it winds me up so much, it happens every day and makes me want to vomit!

I remember as a kid my mum and dad both used to smoke in the front of the car on long car journeys - they both quit now and cringe when I mention it to them (all the time)!

Also, do you remember people smoking on the tubes/trains and buses? Seems like a lifetime ago now!
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]might as well just ban smoking altogether...

With you on that one.

having said that, each to their own and whilst I don't like it I know plenty who do...what people do in their own houses/cars etc really should be up to them
  • used to bunk off school to go to sidcup cinema to have a smoke, back in the day when the projector ray beam was highlighted by the smoke
  • What should be banned is people poncing fags , buy your own .
  • and they should ban people whining about smokers, they really are dull. I like smoking outside now, no matter what the weather, but am irritated when in summer some of the non smokers want to moan about people smoking in the beer garden, stay in your smoke free homes (or pubs) if you dont like it.
  • I think they should bring back smoking in clubs. All my mates go out for a salmon and im stuck inside on my own like Billy no mates. Plus people smell alot worse around 2am now....cos used to be hidden by the smell of smoke.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]and they should ban people whining about smokers, they really are dull. I like smoking outside now, no matter what the weather, but am irritated when in summer some of the non smokers want to moan about people smoking in the beer garden, stay in your smoke free homes (or pubs) if you dont like it.[/quote]

Never knew you smoked :p
  • adsads
    edited March 2010
    people that drive cant really complain about people smoking polluting the atmosphere can they?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]What should be banned is people poncing fags , buy your own .

hahaha i just knew that was going to come up one day! and i bloody hate B&H so must have been desperate.

If its your own car you can do what you like in it surely - not that i smoke in a car but honestly..
  • Like they would enforce it, they hardly enforce mobile phone bans let alone trying to ban fags.
  • I think it's a good idea for safety reasons. I've lost count of the number of times I've almost lost control on the motorway whilst trying to roll a fag.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I hate it when I am walking down the street and get stuck behind someone who is smoking and cant get passed them

blimey you walk down narrow roads.
  • Ledge...are you winding us up.....what do you do when a bus or lorry goes by?

This should help: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/british-militaria/military-collectables/gas-mask-british-ww2-complete-420820.html
  • Anything anti-smoking always makes me think of Bill Hicks when he said about people coming up to him, coughing while he's smoking! "hell of a cough you have there fella, I smoke 40 a day and dont cough like that! "
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I think anyone who smokes in a car with kids in should be ashamed of themselves, however they proberly smoke in doors in the close vacinety of their kids so the damage is already done,

saying that i think that if you they ban people smoking in cars with children in a very worthy cause

as for banning people with no kids in the cars from smoking i reckon it is a step too far.

ex smoker here btw

Ashamed of themselves is a bit strong is it not. I wouldnt do it personally smoke in a car with kids and i dont smoke in my house anyway (i dont really smoke very much to be honest no more than one a day anyway unless i am at football). However if others want to smoke in their cars and in their homes im not going to moan at them their decission init.
  • [cite]Posted By: Talk of The South[/cite]Anything anti-smoking always makes me think of Bill Hicks when he said about people coming up to him, coughing while he's smoking! "hell of a cough you have there fella, I smoke 40 a day and dont cough like that! "

My favourite is in Black Books when a customer says to the Irish shopkeeper, "Excuse me, I'm getting your second-hand smoke". He replies, "That's ok, just get me a drink sometime".
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Talk of The South[/cite]Anything anti-smoking always makes me think of Bill Hicks when he said about people coming up to him, coughing while he's smoking! "hell of a cough you have there fella, I smoke 40 a day and dont cough like that! "

My favourite is in Black Books when a customer says to the Irish shopkeeper, "Excuse me, I'm getting your second-hand smoke". He replies, "That's ok, just get me a drink sometime".

LOL Black Books is wicked.
  • [cite]Posted By: Talk of The South[/cite]Anything anti-smoking always makes me think of Bill Hicks when he said about people coming up to him, coughing while he's smoking! "hell of a cough you have there fella, I smoke 40 a day and dont cough like that! "

Bill Hicks -

You never see a positive drug story on the news. They always have the same LSD story. You've all seen it: "Today a young man on acid...thought he could fly...jumped out of a building...what a tragedy!" What a dick. He's an idiot. If he thought he could fly why didn't he take off from the ground first? Check it out? You don't see geese lined up to catch elevators to fly south; they fly from the fucking ground. He's an idiot. He's dead. Good! We lost a moron? Fucking celebrate. There's one less moron in the world.

I was in a cab in New York. The cab had a sign, "Please do not smoke, Christ is our unseen guest." This guy was reaching. I figure, if He could overcome being nailed to a cross, I don't think a Marlboro Light's gonna faze Him that much.

I know this is not a very popular idea. You don't hear it too often any more … but it's the truth. I have taken drugs before and … I had a real good time. Sorry. Didn't murder anybody, didn't rape anybody, didn't rob anybody, didn't beat anybody, didn't lose – hmm – one fucking job, laughed my ass off, and went about my day.

What a Ledge...
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree gary what a legend i feel the same way.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]You've all seen it: "Today a young man on acid...thought he could fly...jumped out of a building...what a tragedy!"

Even better than that, did you see the two swedish birds off their faces on PCP running off from the old bill, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MOTORWAY.

One doris gets nailed by a lorry, the other a car, only to 5mins later, get back up, spark a pig and try to run off again. Nutters.

Drugs are bad mmk, stay away.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]You've all seen it: "Today a young man on acid...thought he could fly...jumped out of a building...what a tragedy!"

Even better than that, did you see the two swedish birds off their faces on PCP running off from the old bill, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MOTORWAY.

One doris gets nailed by a lorry, the other a car, only to 5mins later, get back up, spark a pig and try to run off again. Nutters.

Drugs are bad mmk, stay away.

Two days later the older twin - Sabina Eriksson - killed a random stranger (54 year old bloke who put her up when she had nowhere too stay) then jumped off a roadbridge and survived. Got five years in prison. No suggestion that drugs were involved at any stage, she's just mentally ill.

I agree that smoking cigarettes in cars should be banned, but lots of people smoke weed when driving to calm them down (when they are scared of traffic), so perhaps there should be an exclusion for that.
  • [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]lots of people smoke weed when driving to calm them down (when they are scared of traffic), so perhaps there should be an exclusion for that.

Are you for real? Scared of the traffic? What the christ!
  • ive never heard of anyone having a joint at the wheel!?
  • edited March 2010
    I have, I don't think any of those involved claimed to be scared of traffic though. Bizzare, to say the least.

F&H is, once again looking for a reaction, smoking whilst intoxicated is, quite clearly, already illegal.
  • You must know by now that F&H is a complete wind up. You need to lay off the drugs if you've not noticed! :-)
  • The full tragic story for those that don't know it. Seems she stabbed the guy because she wanted a cup of tea and his neighbour wouldn't let him have a teabag. Have to admit I couldn't help myself have a guilty giggle when I read the traffic island/hammer bit. Can't believe they ever let her out of hospital - 'Care in the Community' I guess :(

FRIDAY, MAY 16, 2008

2am – Sabina Eriksson leaves her County Cork home with twin sister, Ursula.

SATURDAY, MAY 17

8:30am – Eriksson and her sister go to St Anne Police Station, in Liverpool, to report concerns over their children.

Midday – They board a National Express coach to Victoria Station, in London.

1pm – The coach stops at Keele Services to change drivers. It was not a scheduled comfort-break stop.

3.20pm – Police called to M6, just north of Keele Services.

Ursula has run onto the carriageway in front of a lorry. Eriksson runs in front of a silver Volkswagen Polo car and is knocked into the air.

Eriksson then regains consciousness, runs across the carriageway and punches a female police officer as she tries to stop her and then runs off. She is arrested and taken to the Northern Area Custody facility, at Etruria.

MONDAY, MAY 19

Eriksson is charged with assaulting a police officer and trespassing onto a motorway. She appears before North Staffordshire magistrates at Fenton, is sentenced to one-day custody and released.

7pm – Eriksson strikes up a conversation with Glenn Hollinshead and his friend Peter Molloy in Christchurch Road, Fenton, after they leave the Royal Oak pub. They all go to Mr Hollinshead's home in Duke Street.

11.40pm – Mr Molloy leaves the property.

TUESDAY, MAY 20

Lunchtime: Mr Hollinshead phones brother, Paul, who lives in Blurton and works at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, and tells him about Eriksson and her sister.

He asks him if he can find out what ward Ursula is on in the hospital.

7.40pm – Mr Hollinshead goes outside and asks neighbour, Frank Booth, for some tea bags.

Mr Booth is washing his minibus and asks Mr Hollinshead to wait until he has finished.

Mr Hollinshead goes back into the house.

But 74 seconds later Mr Hollinshead comes back out of the house, saying: "she's stabbed me".

7.49pm – Paramedics on their way to a reported stabbing in Duke Street see Eriksson standing on an island between two carriageways near Heron Cross roundabout off the A50. She is hitting herself on the head with a large hammer.

8pm – Motorist Joshua Grattage stops his car and takes the hammer off Eriksson.

When Eriksson sees the paramedics she runs towards the roundabout over the A50, followed by ambulance officers. She climbs the railings and jumps down to the A50.

The paramedics are told to go to the stabbing incident in Duke Street.

8.05pm – Police arrive at Duke Street to find Mr Hollinshead's body in an alleyway.

FRIDAY, JUNE 6

Eriksson is arrested while still a patient at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 11

Eriksson leaves hospital and is taken straight to the Northern Area Custody suite, in Etruria.

7.43pm – Eriksson is charged with murdering Mr Hollinshead
    edited March 2010
    LOL only in Amsterdam for me and the ocasional Saturday eve after a stressful time on the terraces but minus weed (in moderation) drugs is a mugs game. Class A's are in my eyes a massive waste of time and i wouldnt bother with any of them. In many aspects i think Weed is better for people than alchohol (when you see how some people react on alchohol) but everything in moderation.
  • Driving intoxicated is still illegal, stupid and very bloody selfish, no matter the peceived benefits of any given substance.