Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oven Help Needed

I just bought an electric oven/grill to replace one that went bang. I thought I'd install it myself. Getting the old one out was fine but the instructions that came with this one are absolute garbage. There's no apparent hatch to get to the junction box (so it looks like I've got to take the whole back off). There's a place to feed the wire in on the bottom right so I think that must be the case, but it seems like a poor design. Is this right or am I doing something completely stupid? Also they've made it craftily so that regular screwdrivers don't fit it, it's some kind of allen key arrangement not currently in my possession. Can any bright sparks on the forum confirm that I'm on the right lines? It's a John Lewis branded one if that makes any odds.

SUMMARY: It's looking like a second bacon free weekend for Morts.

Comments

• Don't know about the oven, but a lot of manufacturers use Torx screws now. Looks like an Allen key, but really it's a sort of a six-pointed star design. You can pick up a set of Torx screwdrivers in Screwfix or B&Q. You'd need to check sizes though. T20 is a good starting point.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I just bought an electric oven/grill to replace one that went bang. I thought I'd install it myself. Getting the old one out was fine but the instructions that came with this one are absolute garbage. There's no apparent hatch to get to the junction box (so it looks like I've got to take the whole back off). There's a place to feed the wire in on the bottom right so I think that must be the case, but it seems like a poor design. Is this right or am I doing something completely stupid? Also they've made it craftily so that regular screwdrivers don't fit it, it's some kind of allen key arrangement not currently in my possession. Can any brightsparkson the forum confirm that I'm on the right lines? It's a John Lewis branded one if that makes any odds.

SUMMARY: It's looking like a second bacon free weekend for Morts.

Torque fixing screws shaped like this *
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Don't know about the oven, but a lot of manufacturers use Torx screws now. Looks like an Allen key, but really it's a sort of a six-pointed star design. You can pick up a set of Torx screwdrivers in Screwfix or B&Q. You'd need to check sizes though. T20 is a good starting point.

Or my house if your local to Shootershill.
  • edited March 2010
    Not sure what Oven you have but try this site it may help you find a download for instructions;

link
  • Cant help I'm afraid...have only three sticks and a pot in the garden!
  • Cheers all, torx screwdriver was the thing. Bacon restored to the weekend menu

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Cant help I'm afraid...have only three sticks and a pot in the garden!

Blimey, you're well off.....
    You have got a pot to.....
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Cant help I'm afraid...have only three sticks and a pot in the garden![/quote]

Blimey, you're well off.....
    You[i]have[/i]got a[i]pot[/i]to.....[/quote]

Yeah, we just wrap our food in leaves and cook them underground...
  • Is there an gas man on here?  Im doing a Razil.  Need the pipe behind new oven fixed/moved so can get it connected.

• oi, I know of one who works in the greenwich area if you need
  • Sponsored links:

• I do need.  I'll inbox.
  • But there's no gas men on here?
  • I am a domestic ovencleaner and come across this all the time.

Yeah, the back has to come off, feed the supply cable through the plastic unit and connect up within the back of the oven. Carefully feed the back panel into place and secure back into place at the same time feeding any excess cable back out of it. Lock the screw down onto the cable which holds it in place so that when you pull the oven out of it's housing in future you cannot break the connection and get electric shock and blow the oven up as well. Slide the oven into the housing and normally there are 2 or 4 screws needed to secure it into the housing on the side edges of the oven.

Hope this is of use....

Good luck

• sorry Pitbull that post above originally was March 2010.  I just resurrected an old post.
  • The number doesnt work Razil.