Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Beckham out of World Cup

torn achilles tendon , breaking news on SSN

Comments

• gutted for him , such passion for his football
  • gutted is the right word, he must be devestated.

and a fairly big loss for the squad (experienced head and all that) aswell as for the team as his delivery gave us another option.

fuck.
  • You summed up in one word, gutted!

For him, and for us! Big big loss, more than many would realise
  • Couldn't have put what has been written above better. Terrible terrible news on a personal level and in terms of dressing room influence/experience. You have to feel that's the end for Becks and England. Gutted.
  • Possibly made life easier for Capello. He may have been in two minds about taking him anyway. Shame for the bloke all the same.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Possibly made life easier for Capello. He may have been in two minds about taking him anyway. Shame for the bloke all the same.

No way, he would definitely have gone. Easily Milan's best player last week and still influences the game whether he plays 90 or 20 minutes. Big loss to the squad. Not hopeful with Walcott, SWP or Lennon to be honest. All of them are too inconsistent and often lack a final ball. Ashley Young for me. Won't happen though. Or even Gerrard on the right and Adam Johnson on the left. Again, won't happen.

As long as Rooney is fully fit we have an excellent chance.
  • Big Loss but you can still expect Becks will be at South Africa and with the team on match days and he will still bring his precense like that!

And why is everyone forgetting Joe Cole for RW?
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]Big Loss but you can still expect Becks will be at South Africa and with the team on match days and he will still bring his precense like that!

And why is everyone forgetting Joe Cole for RW?

Hope he still goes. He's almost the Chris Powell of the squad if you like.

I think people are forgetting Joe Cole as he's done absolutely bugger all since coming back from injury and is seemingly more bothered in throwing his toys out the pram over his new contract than getting his head down and doing his job.
  • Big loss, not just because of he is a fine footballer but a great person to have around the dressing room and in the WC Squad.

Like Left Back, Capello has big problems- Lennon struggling, Wright Phillips-inconsistent and Walcott still coming back into form. Ashley Young must have a great shout now
  • England's world cup bid is becoming more and more interesting...

Players who realistically had a chance of going who are now not going/very doubtful/not 100%

Ashley Cole
    Aaron Lennon
    Joe Cole
    David Beckham
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Wayne Bridge
    Wes Brown
    Glen Johnson
    Ledley King
    Owen Hargreaves

That's an interesting bunch and a LOT of players, squad looks like it's picking itself at the moment

Young won't go, Capello thinks he's a big time charlie
  • Sponsored links:

• Which he is, but then again so are half the others. Young should go over Walcott and SWP for me.

As for Becks. Gutted for him, gutted for us.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't get this dislike Capello has of Ashley Young. He seems a much better bet to me than Walcott and SWP - far more likely to deliver quality into the box than either of them, can beat a man and is no shirk at tracking back either. If Capello does think he's a big-time charlie, where would he get that impression from? Every time I've seen him interviewed he comes across very well - not mouthy, not flash, a lot more eloquent than most of his peers. Didn't Aidy Boothroyd say he had a lot of time for him, and that he respected his decision not to go to West Ham as it would have been seen as a move purely for the money (the Hamsters were in relegation trouble) rather than to further his career?

Gutted for Beckham too. Not sure he would have actually played that much, but not having him in the squad damages England's chances - there's no-one else who can take set pieces like him anywhere near the team at the moment.
  • Ruined my night hearing this news.

Such a good impact player these days, not many more wingers like him. Still has the best delivery in the world. Gutted.
  • This really did sadden me. This may be because I'm not besieged with constant Beckham tabloid news, and as such I'm able to simply appreciate all that he can do on the pitch.

I remember seeing him at the MLS all-star game in Toronto two years ago. Even in that ridiculous setting, his class was readily apparent, and it was a joy to, even if just once, see his ability to switch the ball, and put it on someone's foot in stride. Obvious quality.

A player like that should be able to take an appropriate bow, rather than have his career capped by being carried off.
  • gutted by far the best england player of the last 15 yrs, would have been a great swansong to sign off in africa before spearheading our charge to host the world cup in 2018 or 22

he was a cert to go now we will have walcott there again even though he done fudge all again
  • Gutted for him.

With Cole going to be unfit after being in the form of his life, that's a blow

Terry shagging around and stripped of captaincy means there's going to be some tension in that squad.

Becks going would've helped the squad bond more than anything else.
  • Injuries are destroying our World Cup before it's even started. Terrible for Becks & England. Our Back Five all appear to be struggling, most of our Midfield look off form at the moment, only Rooney looking genuine class pre-tournament at the moment.
  • Personally i wouldn't have taken him anyway, yes someone who has the experiance and is likely to deliver if needed

but i think we have plenty of young ones who have alot of pace to worry the opposition so i would take them, Walcott, Lennon, Young, Would start Milner out on the right
  • Blessing in disguise I think. Beckham was pretty poor in the last few major tournaments and when he plays England seem slow and ponderous. He might have been useful to bring on for 10 - 15 minutes in games we are winning because he could slow the tempo and hold the ball. Not a big loss to the squad in my opinion.
  • I don't think Ashley Young's been as good for Villa as he was a year or to ago, or has he?

I'd have liked Beckham and Owen there on the bench, would have been useful options, not confident in replacements like SWP and Walcott at all really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Need Lennon fit.

6 months ago we had a decent chance a giving it a good crack under Fabio, now week by week we getting an injury after injury. Just waiting for the inevitable Rooney injury 3 weeks before the start now
  • It would not be a WC year without one of the big names getting injured- In 2002 Gerrard and Beckham had injury problems and in 2006 Rooney and Owen did.

At least it is not Rooney, Yet!
  • Couldn't have happened to a better bloke...

When he was younger he was undoubtably one of the best footballers around but when he took up with that shit-spice he became acompletely different person, there isn't a lunchbox built that could hold his ego...

Nowadays he thinks fooball revolves around him and everyone has to pay mega bucks for the priviledge...

He has become one of the most disloyal and narcissistic gits ever, only second to that twat, Tony Bliar..

Rust in peace....
  • Wow, i've read some strange stuff on this board but that is right up there.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Couldn't have happened to a better bloke...

When he was younger he was undoubtably one of the best footballers around but when he took up with that shit-spice he became acompletely different person, there isn't a lunchbox built that could hold his ego...

Nowadays he thinks fooball revolves around him and everyone has to pay mega bucks for the priviledge...

He has become one of the most disloyal and narcissistic gits ever, only second to that twat, Tony Bliar..

Rust in peace....

Disloyal? United sold him, and Madrid didn't want to renew his contract. If you're referring to the Milan loan, he made it clear from the start he wanted to stay the whole season. Always comes across as a good lad to me and imo deals with the unrelenting media intrusion quite well considering
  • Slag spice was widely reported to have influenced him away from Manure coz she'd rather shop on the chumps ellesse than the Trafford Centre...

And then there's the appalling way he's treated the Galaxy....

No, he's had his day, let him die in peace now...
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Slag spice was widely reported to have influenced him away from Manure coz she'd rather shop on the chumps ellesse than the Trafford Centre...

You're on a wind up right?

At most he left United on a mutually beneficial basis, Ferguson didn't like the way he had become bigger than the team, and if he wasn't playing for United, he wanted to play for Madrid. And, as I was in a box when we played them in his last game at Old Trafford, the way he went out on the pitch for a kick about with his lads after the game showed to me he, or Victoria, hadn't forced the move. Remember Fergie had had the whole kicking a boot thing around that time too so the relationship was obviously strained.

And I'd disagree he's treated the Galaxy appallingly. It was stated that he was mainly moving over there to raise the profile of the game, as opposed to his main motivation being to bring silverware to the club, in the same way it would be at somewhere like Madrid. By going to Milan, he has kept himself relevant in a way playing for Galaxy only wouldn't have. Also, if he had been fit for the World Cup, and played, that would have had an impact on America too.
  • Beckham didn't become bigger than Manure, his EGO did...

And I don't think many Galaxy fans would agree with you either...

Had he made as much effort into raising the profile of the American game as he did raising his bank balance then I might agree with you, but he didn't so I don't...
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Slag spice was widely reported to have influenced him away from Manure coz she'd rather shop on the chumps ellesse than the Trafford Centre...

lol bless
  • RedZed...what are you like when you 'really' dislike someone?

Nowadays he's little bit of a one trick pony....but what a trick.....he can still cross a ball better than any other player around today....is still very dangerous with free kicks and delivers sublime corners and set piece balls.
    A big loss..no one expected him to start any games but he would have been invaluable coming off the bench for those games where we're one nil down with 30 minutes to go....and you just 'know' we're going to have one or two of them along the way.