Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valiants, Robins or Addicks

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Following on from "The Crest" thread, as a kid at the end of the 70s I remember Valiants and Robins being used but dont remember exactly when Addicks became our more popular nickname. I had one of those inflatable haddocks for away game at Villa in 89 when we won 1-0 so im guessing Addicks became more popular around this time upto the present day.

What do you prefer?

For the record iv always prefered Valiants as it sounds more like a sign of "strength" than the other two and ties in with the name of the ground

Comments

• edited February 2010
    We were called The Addicks as far back as 1908 and the name came into promenance in 1909 at The Woolwich Cup final in Cemetery Lane....this was because a local fishmonger (dressed in a straw bloater and striped apron), by the name of Arthur(Ikey) Bryan would take a haddock tied to a stick to home games and twirl it round above his head, occassionaly he'd encourage other fans to do the same and several could be seen at games.The address of the shop was 77,East Street where the club was first formed in 1905, Arthur also donated funds to the fledgling club.
    It was most likely local journalists on The Kentish Independent (Gills fans take note!) who then concocted the name The Addicks, though exactly who it was and when is not known.Arthur was also known as "The Addicker" in the local press.
    Why Arthur did this was probably to advertise his fish shop as much as to support the team.
    In later life he became destitute and for some years in the 1930's was reduced to living on a council allotment.He died in 1956 at Kings College Hospital Dulwich and is buried in Charlton Cemetery in the family grave. Members of the Bryan family still support us to this day.
    Knowing all that history is there really 'anyone' out there who wants to see us called The Robins or The Valiants....come on guys and gals you can't even think of it.
    Besides, it's a really unusual and quirky name that I personaly am very proud of and love to embrace.
  • addicks is unique to us .................... aren't port vale 'the valiants' and swindon and bristol city 'the robins' ............... addicks all day long for me
  • Confused as a kid......we started off being the Robins (my great Nan even worked in the Robins Tavern under the Covered end), then around 65 became the Valiants....so Im afraid Im a Valiant...I have never liked the Addicks, too close to addicts and all the associated druggy things for my liking.
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Confused as a kid......we started off being the Robins (my great Nan even worked in the Robins Tavern under the Covered end), then around 65 became the Valiants....so Im afraid Im a Valiant...I have never liked the Addicks, too close to addicts and all the associated druggy things for my liking.

Your comments really surprise me Tel...we are and always were The Addicks.
    Even during the years when we changed our name(twice in fact) you would always hear the cry of...."Up the Addicks" all over The Valley.............it never went away and never will.
  • Im full of surprises Stu....lol
  • We're Addicks and nothing else now.
  • never in doubt addicks
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]addicks is unique to us .................... aren't port vale 'the valiants' and swindon and bristol city 'the robins' ............... addicks all day long for me

for the first time in living memory - I agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Addicks for me.
    You can blame the club for the confusion.
    Robins and Valiants both used in club programs and badges of old.

sort it out Waggot

when the red red addick goes bob bob bobbing along.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We're Addicks and nothing else now.

I just dont remember ever hearing addicks used throughout the 80s but totally accept there is only 1 nickname these days, only ever remember hearing valiants around 78/79 when my dad started taking me, just something that sticks from my early memories
  • Robins reminds me of Bristol City, hate it.

Addicks....nothing else like it, its ours.
  • As Tel said, mid sixties we were The Valliants and I thought we kind of dropped that when we no longer played at The Valley and reverted back to The Addicks which I'm not overly keen on.
  • I know what you mean Choice. Isn't one of our books called The Valiant 500 ? I think I've got it.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Robins reminds me of Bristol City, hate it.

Swindon are Robins too.

As a kid I remember the mid-60s when the Valiants name was introduced along with the then new sword emblem.
    We played at The Valley, so Valiants sort of made sense I suppose.

But my Dad always referred to us as The Addicks back then, and always has.

As VG says:

Spot on.
  • I don't get the fishy haddock link because Addicks doesnt sound much like haddocks. I don't deny the fishmonger story but I've never been able to accept it!

Going against the grain of history I know, but I reckon Addicks is just Athletics said really quickly in south-east london accent.

Saying that, the bloke who sits next to me in covered end smells like he brings a fish to every match so I could be wrong...
  • Valiants was on the collar of a couple shirts in the mid 90's but it is addicks for me too
  • I like all three. Why limit yourself to one name?

As to the Arthur Bryan story, I think there's something fishy about it: I've never personally fixed a haddock to a pole, but in some of my more bored moments I have imagined trying to do so. My problem is with the "twirl it round above his head" part. Apart from the fact I just can't think of how you'd fix it without it falling to bits, I just can't imagine twirling it in a crowd. Even in them days, I'm sure it wouldn't have been long before he got a slap for splashing someone with whatever liquids drip from a dead fish. Perhaps it just illustrates how spacious the east terrace was in those days.

Two questions:
    1. Am I the only saddo who has haddock in preference to other fish, believeing it's the Charlton thing to do?
    2. When you get a mental picture of this fish on a stick, is it a freshly caught wet fish or is it done to a turn in crispy batter?
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    Two questions:
    1. Am I the only saddo who has haddock in preference to other fish, believeing it's the Charlton thing to do?
    2. When you get a mental picture of this fish on a stick, is it a freshly caught wet fish or is it done to a turn in crispy batter?

1. not too keen on haddock but sadly get really small excited when i see it on a menu..(weirdo)
    2.i picture it as a wet grey 2.5 foot fish(quite heavy) almost alive as he swings it around defying science , gravity and what not to stay on the stick
  • Sponsored links:

• I've always called us the reds, but Addicks is our real nickname.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Zinedine Bagheri[/cite]I don't get the fishy haddock link because Addicks doesnt sound much like haddocks. I don't deny the fishmonger story but I've never been able to accept it!

Going against the grain of history I know, but I reckon Addicks is just Athletics said really quickly in south-east london accent.

I know it's heresy, but I feel the same. The fish story is wonderful, but it ignores the obvious ... why take a fish on a pole to a football match? Advertising your wet fish shop? Yeah, right.

We are Chowtun Adledick ... there's the more likely origin of the marvellous Addicks nickname. No fish required.
  • edited February 2010
    There are countless cartoons(I have a book produced on the subject) of Arthur Bryan (The Addicker) taken from The Kentish Independent circa 1906 to 1930ish, plus countless newspaper accounts of him (and others) twerling Haddocks tied on sticks....they were most likely salted and smoked (rather than a fresh fish) which makes them more solid of course.
    For anyone to doubt the story (which one or two of you seem to be doing) is simply amazing, as it's well documented....anyone else got this book? I bought it in the club shop a few years back.
    As amazing to some of you as it may sound, this is absolute fact...100%.
  • I can't understand people that don't believe in cartoons either.

I once saw Dennis the Menace turned away from the turnstiles because they wouldn't let Gnasher in with him...
  • 1. Addicks
    2. Yes I do believe the story
    3. Yes I always ask for Haddock
    4. I would never ask for a 'straw Bloater' post#2 That would be a weird fish
    5. I remember standing on the East Terrace with my Dad-Ted- wondering if we were called the Valiants cos from the top the players looked like ants, Valley ants.
  • Addicks for me all day long
  • Bryan sounds a real character. Wouldn't be let in nowadays. Just be glad we're not "The Ackworths!"
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Bryan sounds a real character. Wouldn't be let in nowadays. Just be glad we're not "The Ackworths!"

Lucky he didn't own a pie and mash shop!
  • Come on you jellied eels!
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Come on you jellied eels!

Careful Tel, Southend have a mascot called Elvis The Eel.