Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Berbatov - The best in the Prem? (from the Archives)

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that Berbatov looks like the best striker there has been in the Premiership for a long, long time? This bloke looks absolutely unreal at times with the quality of his finishing and his link-up play and does not seem to have a weakness in his game, he can score goals, has pace, can run with the ball, has a great touch and is decent in the air as well.

Anyone else get the feeling that Fergie and whoever is managing Chelsea next season will be taking Mr. Berbatov off the Spuds in the summer?

Comments

• he's been awesome recently, i think he had a slow start for spurs but he's been untouchable .... oh no we've got to play spurs last home game..
  • Outstanding player, and it's possible Spurs would be in the sh*t now if it wasn't for him.

He seemed to be blubbing during his post-match interview on ITV1 last night.
  • Definitely Old Trafford bound I'd say. The boy is class. Although his 2nd last night was spectacular I thought the finish on his first was even better.
  • Awesome - you might be right about him going and Spurs then spending some of the money on Dazza, but I would expect him to stay another season there at least - especially if they win the UEFA Cup.

PS Whoever wins the UEFA Cup should qualify automatically for the Chamipions League, at least they have won something unlike half the teams in it.
  • I'm gutted he's on such a run of form. The bloke above me in the pub dream team's got him! Looking like I'll have to settle for 2nd place (1383 points for the interested). Hoping Martins bags a few tonight for me and not Sunday.
  • Spurs seem to be in a rich vein of form, mainly down to the forwards like berbatov hitting a hot streak. Agree he does appear to be one of the classiest players in the prem. Compare him to Drogba, who has scored some fantastic goals this season mind, throwing himself on the floor at every opportunity like last night, he has no class. Berbatov has & even in his interview showed a bit of humility & praised the team rather than big himself up. He is definately suited to spurs & dare i say it Arsenal..! (Sorry Spurs fans)
  • two months ago i would of thought the player of the year vote was a straight race between Drogba and Ronaldo, but such has been the acceleration in Berbatov's progress, he is right in there now.

As everyone has said, he has everything, and also has a great team ethic and unselfishness about him as well.

Disagree with others though, he will be at Spurs for another year at least.
  • Drogba has improved a lot but is playing in a much. much better side and getting a lot more chances laid on for him than Berbatov.

I don't know what it is about him but he just makes it look so easy, like its the easiest thing in the world to take a throat high ball down on your chest and then volley it in from 18 yards when it is actually very, very difficult.

I have been racking my brains to think of someone that you could really compare him to but I can't come up with anyone, he just seems to have it all and looks a much, much better player than Van Nistelrooy, who was an out and out goalscorer, although Shearer in his Blackburn prime was also an exceptional all-round striker.

Anyone think of anyone else?

I have not forgotten Thierry Henry but I don't really consider him a centre-forward, he is a bit of a one-off in the way he plays.
  • edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Definitely Old Trafford bound I'd say.

Spurs have finally found themselves a 20 goal a season man and people think we'll let him go? You must be joking. He's on a 4 year contract with the option of another 2 years and Spurs are already negotiating a pay rise and a contract extension for him.

They'll be rebellion in the Spurs ranks should the board accept an offer for him...

However, will be interesting to see in Man Utd do make a move for him, considering they made a move for him shortly after he signed a pre-contract agreement with us and he turned them down flat out of loyalty to Spurs. They'd need to make one huge bid for the board to consider it though!
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Is it just me or does anyone else agree that Berbatov looks like the best striker there has been in the Premiership for a long, long time? This bloke looks absolutely unreal at times with the quality of his finishing and his link-up play and does not seem to have a weakness in his game, he can score goals, has pace, can run with the ball, has a great touch and is decent in the air as well.

Berbatov is without doubt the best centre-forward I've seen at Spurs for a long long time. And that includes Klinsmann. Berbatov has got absolutely everything in abundance and to boot, he's forming a brilliant partnership with Keane. Jol "rested" him for the FA Cup tie against Fulham, he came on for Mido when 2-0 up and hasnt been able to stop scoring ever since. His second goal in injury time (where he flicked it over the keepers head with the outside of his foot) must be a contender for goal of the season...
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]oh no we've got to play spurs last home game..
    I wouldnt worry, if we do make it through to either the FA Cup Final or the UEFA Final, I would think we'll be resting key players like Keane and Berbatov so you'll only have to put up with Mido and Defoe...
  • oh good, Defoe.

Because he never scores against us...........

Could we be relegated by a worse individual ??

*quickly puts 'BELIEVE' hat back on*
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit like when Man U came knocking for Carrick?

If they wave enough money at you Levy will sell. Lets be honest. There's Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U and then another tier incl Spurs, Liverpool etc
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Bit like when Man U came knocking for Carrick?[/quote]

Not the same whatsoever.

Carrick only had 18 months left on his contract and he could have gone on a bosman...he wanted to go to Man Utd anyway...
    So we sold him for £18.6m when we bought him for £3m, literally 6 times the armount we paid for him.

We paid over £10m for Berbatov and he's got another 3 years minimum on his contract after this season...
  • edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]oh no we've got to play spurs last home game..
    we shall be clear of City by then - and I think their last two games are Man Utd and Spurs.
    So it won't matter if we get those points or not.
  • edited March 2007
    He'd be even better with Danny Murphy prompting him from midfield:-)

Hopefully they'll shoot their bolt before we have to play them.
  • I hear what you're saying John but in football we all know contracts mean nothing.
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Definitely Old Trafford bound I'd say. The boy is class. Although his 2nd last night was spectacular I thought the finish on his first was even better.

Just thought I'd bounce this one back to show I get the odd thing right. Poor old JohnBoyUK, he just couldn't see it could he?
  • edited September 2008
    Just thought I'd bounce this one back to show I get the odd thing right. Poor old JohnBoyUK, he just couldn't see it could he?[/quote]Haha - a Spuds fan demonstrating major signs of delusion and denial? Never!
  • Wll i was right on two fronts !

Berb did stay for another year, and i said Defoe would score and relegate us.........