Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Testamonial matches

Another thread sparked a thought in my head. How many testamonial matches have been played at The Valley. I remember the 1966 one against Chelsea when Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Langley played for us. I believe there was a testamonial for Derek Hales against West Ham which I didn't see. Les Berry had one against Arsenal if I remember rightly, but I am sure there have been others. I have a faint recall that there was one for Charlie Hall, but have there been others in recent history?

Comments

• I've got two testamonial programmes from the mid seventies...

Keith Peacock against Chelsea, not sure of the exact date, we got beat 4-2, I remember Alan Hudson was outstanding..

Les Gore, a scout, also had one on 28th October 1975 against Arsenal, I think we lost 2-0...
  • Was there not one in the 90s for Bob Bolder? I may have made this up.
  • Not sure about about Bob Boulder but I'm sure another keeper called Graham Tutt had one...
  • Graham Tutt's was against Sunderland.

Don't think Bolder had one. Berry, Gritt and Curbs did. Hales had one too, think he scored a penalty in front of the Covered End.
  • Colin Powell had one against spurs in the 80's
  • Bolder's was v Sheff Wed. Finished 3 - 3

John Robinson v Porto, Mendonca v Nijmagen, Curbs v Hearts.

George best played for us v Arsenal in Les Berry's testimonial.
  • I remember bob bolders, Trevor francis scored for Sheff wed from about 40 yards. Great goal.

I remember Grittys against spurs at selhurst 2 all. a keeper called lindsey hamilton played for us and was quality!
  • I knew there must have been a few; they seem to pass me by more than other games. Mendonca v Nijmagen is a brilliant recall.
  • Steve Brown against Udinese, I think. It was billed as Challenge of the Champions - Championship winners vs Serie B winners.

Keith Peacock vs West Ham, late 90's - think he might even have had 3 testimonials over the years!

Colin Walsh vs Spurs, 95/96 - Chris Armstrong spat at the Covered End and was later substituted for his own safety.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]I've got two testamonial programmes from the mid seventies...

Keith Peacock against Chelsea, not sure of the exact date, we got beat 4-2, I remember Alan Hudson was outstanding..

Les Gore, a scout, also had one on 28th October 1975 against Arsenal, I think we lost 2-0...

Sam Bartram was in goal for Keiths' Chelsea match so I'm told:
    I was 8.......
  • Sponsored links:

• How come we haven't had one for Richard Rufus? (not that he needs the money...but to say thanks and respect).
  • Didn't George Best turn out for us in Les Berry's game - one of the worlds greats coming out of retirement to pay homage to Mr Row Z

Did they ever have one for Andy Hunt?
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    George best played for us v Arsenal in Les Berry's testimonial.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]Didn't George Best turn out for us in Les Berry's game - one of the worlds greats coming out of retirement to pay homage to Mr Row Z

Did they ever have one for Andy Hunt?

He played up front y'know !
  • Curbs against Hearts.

Why Hearts?
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]I've got two testamonial programmes from the mid seventies...

Sam Bartram was in goal for Keiths' Chelsea match so I'm told:
    I was 8.......
    Sam might have ran a penalty competition at half time but he never played in goal...

John Dunn was in goal that night...
  • Bob Curtis had one on May 8th 1978 vs QPR (Bowles, Hollins, Parkes etc..)

John Hewie had his in 1966. It was an Ex-Charlton Stars XI vs Internationals' Club.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Curbs against Hearts.

Why Hearts?[/quote]

We were both sponsored by All:Sports and there was a link within the boardrooms as well I think.

Wouldve been nice to play Rangers or Celtic (Though the aggro that would go with Celtic wouldnt be worth the hassle)
  • Derek hales Testemonial v West Ham friday may 9th 7.45pm Programme was 60p and the sponsor John arnison AND all round productions.
  • I think Paddy Powell's was a 4-4 against Spurs with a Les Berry O.G giving Spurs the draw.I seem to remember the rain belted down for Charlie Hall's match against QPR, so there was another held against West Ham a few months later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brian Kinsey against Chelsea we won 1-0 sometime in 1969,think this was areturn match as we had gone to Stamford Bridge for Bobby Tamblings testimonial match losing 5-1.
  • I wonder when the next one will be and who for? Kinsella maybe??
  • just wondered if anyone knows who played in Les Berrys testimonial? I know George Best was playing for us but who else was there?
  • think Malcolm Macdonald played as well
  • Les Berry?

I've got no memory of this at all. When would this have been?
  • edited July 2017

Another thread sparked a thought in my head. How many testamonial matches have been played at The Valley. I remember the 1966 one against Chelsea when Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Langley played for us. I believe there was a testamonial for Derek Hales against West Ham which I didn't see. Les Berry had one against Arsenal if I remember rightly, but I am sure there have been others. I have a faint recall that there was one for Charlie Hall, but have there been others in recent history?

That was the late John Hewie's testimonial.

I was there too.

EDIT: Just realised this dates from 2010!
  • seth plum said:

How come we haven't had one for Richard Rufus? (not that he needs the money...but to say thanks and respect).

The difference 7 years makes!
  • How about the Phil Warman Testimonial v Crystal Palace May 1980 that was played at The Valley.
  • Three years till Johnnie Jackson has earnt one (joined in 2010)... Two years for Chris Solly (Debut in 2009).

Will either get one do we think if they're still around?
  • edited July 2017

Les Berry?

I've got no memory of this at all. When would this have been?

well he played 10 years by 1985 so sometime after that