Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sol got no soul

I hear Sol Campbell has today begun to sue Portsmouth for a million smackerooneys! Seems he cant wait until they achieve a firmer footing as he is down to his last 28 million....they taught him well!

Comments

• SiSi
    edited January 2010
    Maybe he's concerned they're going out of business and then he won't see any of it! Can't blame him really...
  • As an outsider, it seems that the money paid to professional footballers is obscene. It is surley the biggest single factor that is unbalancing the game and threatens to drag many clubs under (most notably Pompey). In a way it seems incomprehensible that a player who has earned everything he has through the game would want to persue a claim that would put a club out of business. A real live case of taking golden eggs from a dying goose.

Then again professional footballers have been told from all sides that they are worth it. Whether it's from agents bigging them up, Sky making it sound like they are modern day gods, Clubs offering them fantastic contracts, mug punters paying silly money to watch a simple game of football or the biggest mugs of them all - charimen pumping in personal fortunes to perpetuate the lunacy. It is little wonder then that footballers really do believe that they are some sort of special case and that football doesn't just owe them a living but that their contribution to society is so great that they should live like princes. With that mind set, and with a legal entitlement to the money why wouldn't Campbell claim what he has been promised? Pompey may need the money more than him at the moment and thousands of people will suffer if this kills the club, but ultimately that is their problem not his. I'm bloody sure that I would do the same given the same situation.
  • Campbell is already loaded and Pompey are in a vulnerable position so this does look bad from the outset.

However, he signed a contract with them and they have not honored it so he is entitled to his money.

Not much different to any of us on here really, how would any of us feel if our employers failed to honor their agreed payments to us?
  • Think both of the main points made here are good:

1. It's ultimately Pompey's fault that they signed players on ridiculous contracts, which long-term they evidently could not afford.

2. If he's contractually entitled to it, he should pursue it, like we all would. For the principle and the money.
  • They've had two or three different owners since he left and yet he's still not been paid.

How many polite private requests have he or his lawyers made for payment which have been ignored? Have Pompey offered a compromise or a staged payment?

Blame Pompey for offering and then not honouring the contract not Sol.

Campbell fulfilled his part of the bargain by performing on the pitch and winning them a trophy.
  • Listened to this "debate" on Talk sport yesterday afternoon. They said he has £28 millon as a personal fortune. How can they quote these ramdom figures as fact?
    He might have more or may be less (they have as much idea as i have) but to me thats not the point. You have a contract you get paid, simple as that. £1.7 millon is a lot to walk away from even if you live in the lap of luxury.
    One of these days clubs will have to live within their means and if that takes a few clubs to out of business thats what will happen.
  • I'm sure Campbell isn't the only creditor. This is just typical of his agent.

He who shouts the loudest is usually paid last in my experience, even if it's not Pompey whose doing the paying in the end. . . .
  • Jesus this beloved game of ours is in a mess. You've only got to see the televised games to see people are voting with their feet. If i were a Pompey fan i'd be sick. As i'm not i can't really blame him. It's a worrying time.
  • doesnt matter if he has 28m - only a fool would walk away from £1.7m
    And I believe footballing debts must be settled first when settling with creditors
  • When Portsmouth were spending money they didn't have to stay in the Prem and win the FA cup they ought to have realised they'd need to pay it back. It's silly to bemoan people pursuing money that they're owed. Any of us would do the same in his shoes. As Henry says he's doubtlessly been chasing this money for a long, long time for it to come to this. He's not greedy and driving them out of business, they're doing it to themselves because (ironically) they were greedy (and thick). If this was a tennis player pursuing a sponsor for money they were owed TalkShite wouldn't have a squeak to say about it. Working class.rich black bloke playing a lower class sport and the jealousy just flows. Weird.
  • Sponsored links:

• John Utakah who can't make the Pompey bench is on more money then Cesc Fabergas.

My sympathy to Portsmouth is nil and none
  • Sol's done nothing wrong IMO. Regardless how much money he's got why should he sacrifice 1.4m, or whatever it is, to help a club quite clearly mismanaged.
  • No probs with Sol getting what is owed to him, but the timing looks deliberate and childish...as in, NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]No probs with Sol getting what is owed to him, but the timing looks deliberate and childish...as in, NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!
    Haha, great post.

May be. But as I say, maybe he's concerned they'll go into Admin, or worse, and then he won't be able to get anything back!
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]John Utakah who can't make the Pompey bench is on more money then Cesc Fabergas.

Wow, did not know that.
  • SiSi
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]John Utakah who can't make the Pompey bench is on more money then Cesc Fabergas.

Cesc's agent must be rubbish :)
  • Playing for Arsenal or another successful team is attractive for players in terms of the football played and the chance of success and medals.

To attract players to Portsmouth or Middlesboro you have to pay a premium on wages.

Why it has to be so much and for such relatively limited players I don't know but I'm sure that no bungs were taken. Ever. At all.
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]No probs with Sol getting what is owed to him, but the timing looks deliberate and childish...as in, NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!

The timing is deliberate - there are plenty of rumours circling that Portsmouth will go into receivership and soon and it they do he'll end up a creditor getting 10 pence in the pound or whatever they settle on. If he doesn't get paid now he stands to lose a lot more.
  • I'm not so upset by Sol's attitude in particular, moreso mine is a rant against a way of thinking that plagues many industries nowadays. I consider myself a half decent singer, sometimes I've performed and have been paid less than was promised...did I sue? NO, and for this reason. If you have a talent that entertains and brings joy, that to me is the bigger picture...
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]I'm not so upset by Sol's attitude in particular, moreso mine is a rant against a way of thinking that plagues many industries nowadays. I consider myself a half decent singer, sometimes I've performed and have been paid less than was promised...did I sue? NO, and for this reason. If you have a talent that entertains and brings joy, that to me is the bigger picture...

You need to have a chat with Sol's agent then : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm no fan of Campbell but can't really moan at him for wanting what was contractually promised to him as I would do the same in his boat. The crime here is not that Campbell is after his money but that Football teams like Portsmouth spend wildly beyond their means to win trophies & stay in the Premiership stopping other more financially astute clubs from being able to compete. In an ideal world the FA would put a stop to this with wages paid linked to a percentage of a clubs turnover and a wage cap at the top but sadly there would always be those using loopholes etc to exploit any system so it is just not practicle.
  • Yes he is entitled to his money, BUT..... I for one will not lose any sleep over this guy and his loss, for bonus money and royalties for image rights.

Why not donate it to a charity Sol! Hardly hard earnt was it. £1.7 million for image rights, what particular 'image' is that , the man who invented the hand raised on every occassion that a forward gets past them for offside!

How this guy got into the Arsenal side again astounds me. But then I should not be surprissed by footballers today, why not invest it in a worthwhile cause Sol, like kids football perhaps.

Yes it is wrong you have not been paid, and I am sure you are entitled to every penny, but show a little style mate!...... Obviously I am not in the Sol Cambell fan club
  • How this guy got into the Arsenal side again astounds me.

I guess the 73 England caps he picked up were a joke as well. As was his beingnamed in the official Teams of the Tournament for the 2002 World Cup and 2004 European Championship.
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Yes he is entitled to his money, BUT..... I for one will not lose any sleep over this guy and his loss, for bonus money and royalties for image rights.

Why not donate it to a charity Sol! Hardly hard earnt was it. £1.7 million for image rights, what particular 'image' is that , the man who invented the hand raised on every occassion that a forward gets past them for offside!

How this guy got into the Arsenal side again astounds me. But then I should not be surprissed by footballers today, why not invest it in a worthwhile cause Sol, like kids football perhaps.

Yes it is wrong you have not been paid, and I am sure you are entitled to every penny, but show a little style mate!...... Obviously I am not in the Sol Cambell fan club
    But surely that's a wider arguments for all pros, and not just Sol. Just because Sol has been conned out of some of his money, while other players have already been paid all of theirs, isn't any more of an argument for him doing it? I'm sure he's more concerned about the principle, rather than the cash itself.
  • Who's to say he won't or hasn't already donated to charity.

That is his business not ours.

Whether the money is for image rights (which allows the club to sell pictures, posters and most importantly shirt with "Campbell" on the back) is irrelevant.

Pompey made a deal and they should honour it or at least offer a compromise or schedule of payments as they have already done with some French clubs.
  • edited January 2010
    As I stated he is entitled to his money, but this is not some poor guy earning a living by scrapping by is it guys!

This is 'bonus money', a bit like bankers.....

Perhaps the money that is made in football is far too top heavy, Sorry do not agree that the image right's money priciple is irrelevent, as I stated what particular image is he actually promoting
    Disloyalty: Leaving a club to go to a bitter rival
    Breaking a contract :Leaving Notts County despite signing a contract after playing 1 game.
    The architect of the 'hand up' even though it is not offside tactic, but lets do it anyway...... did this not used to be unsportsman like conduct,......

Yes the guy was a good player, and yes he has a right to his money, just not let's spend too much time worrying about this guy's rights .
    How do we know that the club are not prepared tocome to a deal!. spoken to Sky Andrews abou this then.....

If it is 'his business' then he has a right to present his case in open court, I am sure his lawyers will present his case well, after all he uses them enough! even Mr Cambell has to do that,
    And the word honour and contracts do not really sit well with Sol do they!
    I appreciate that Sol has had his issues in the past, pity he is not so understanding of others, despite the fact that he is 'right'....... as I am sure his agent and Lawyers advise him.....
  • Seems as though I am not the only one who considers Sol's writ untimely, and reading the comments from Pompey fans there is little sympathy for him.......
    Sol Campbell should be helping not suing desperate Portsmouth
    Sol Campbell's announcement that he intends to sue Portsmouth for £1.7 million for image rights and bonuses he alleges he did not receive is about as well timed as a William Gallas tackle.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/portsmouth/7046654/Sol-Campbell-should-be-helping-not-suing-desperate-Portsmouth
    There is the club holed below the financial waterline, undertaking a fire sale of their principal playing assets, with their chief executive up on charges of tax evasion, and Campbell decides now is the moment to place his size twelves on the Pompey jugular.
    Quite where he imagines the money he claims he is owed is going to come from is intriguing, since Portsmouth have been unable to pay their current staff on four occasions this season. But nevertheless he intends to press ahead with his claim, and if he feels really vindictive he could go so far as to issue a winding up order in pursuit of what he feels he is owed.
    The article written by the daily telegraph goes on.......

You might think that, given how well he was remunerated in his time on the south coast, Campbell might choose at this moment to put his hand in his pocket and make a donation to the club fighting fund rather than seek to extract cash that might mean the difference between survival and bankruptcy.
    I guess I have more sympathy for fans than well paid players ans there 'rights'