Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lloyd Sam

edited January 2010 in Rumours
Just passing on what I've heard from a Middlesbrough-supporting mate of mine.
He reckons Sam is signing for them tomorrow. It's all over their message boards apparently.
Just had a look and I can't see anything...??

Comments

• edited January 2010
    http://www.fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=1655637

Not 'all over their message boards' but worrying never-the-less.
  • OH!!! noooooooo, please dont be true
  • Hope this isn't true but it wouldn't be a normal January if Charlton didn't sell one of the best players. Bailey out on the left then with Wagstaff on the right and Racon/Shelvey in the middle with Semedo if this is true?
  • if that goes ahead i will be absolutely disgusted. selling andy reid mark II.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]if that goes ahead i will be absolutely disgusted. selling andy reid mark II.

Scott Parker, Danny Murphy... I'll be very surprised if we don't sell one of our best players this month. Bit early though. Don't we usually wait until midnight on deadline day?
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Hope this isn't true but it wouldn't be a normal January if Charlton didn't sell one of the best players. Bailey out on the left then with Wagstaff on the right and Racon/Shelvey in the middle with Semedo if this is true?

why would they put bailey back on the left? wont happen, he is CM now unless bare! maybe mackenzie or basey, youga combo who knows but cant see bailey going back
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Hope this isn't true but it wouldn't be a normal January if Charlton didn't sell one of the best players. Bailey out on the left then with Wagstaff on the right and Racon/Shelvey in the middle with Semedo if this is true?

why would they put bailey back on the left? wont happen, he is CM now unless bare! maybe mackenzie or basey, youga combo who knows but cant see bailey going back

I hope he stays in the middle too but we would be bare if Sam left. I'd be happy with Mckenzie on the left though if he was fit. Thought he looked quite decent out there the other week. Maybe Parky will bring in Puncheon if Sam does go.
  • £750k now or free in the summer
  • Prepare to hear the howls of anguish from Sam Lloyd if true.
  • I won't believe it until it's on the os.. However he can walk for nothing in the summer and so if boro have come in for a decent offer??? He would also be on good wages... I would hate to see him go but as people said you can put wagstaff there and we get a fee for him??
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't see why he'd want to go to Boro to be honest.
  • wagstaff isnt near to sam in terms of quality. i really do not rate wagstaff at all, even though he puts in effort, very little there in ability terms. him on one side an a half fit mckenzie who is a forward on the other is an utterly makeshift wing pairing and i hope to god it doesnt but i think we can wave goodbye to automatic if he goes. burtons good form has been a lot down to the crosses etc that sam has provided. sod 750k, getting promoted is far more valuable, surely?
  • Can't see him moving up there
  • How about maintaining his Premier League contract wages, the security of a 2/3 year deal and a nice signing on fee?
    Could be bollox so lets see what tomorrow brings
  • edited January 2010
    good business if true, spend the £750k wisely and it may be the difference between play-offs and automatic promotion. £750 could buy Puncheon + a.n.other decent player to give the sqaud a boost which is exactly what it needs. Keep Lloyd without freshening things up could play into Norwich's hands. Wide left has been a problem for us this season and the above may mean we are better balanced with Waggy able to play right.
  • January window + Charlton = Sale of leading player (s)

As inevitable as Sunday following Saturday.
  • no.1 in south london do you seriously think theyll plough that money back into the squad? nope.
  • seriously worried about this. Surely we can't sell one of our best players when we have just slipped to 3rd in the league - what message does that send out. Bloody crazyness if there is any truth here.
  • Won't believe it til it's out there as gospel and my opinion will depend on the fee and how it is used.

If it is £750k and it means Mooney's wages til the end of the season and wages (and perhaps a small fee) for Puncheon and a centre-half then fair do's. Sam has barely made a mark since our very good initial run in August/September. If it's for the money i'll be sad and disappointed but that's life in Division Three and it's far better than letting Bailey or Semedo go or indeed Shelvey for a knock-down price.
  • Given the choice I'd sell Lloyd Sam like a shot for anything close to 750,000 if that helps us bring in two more strikers and a left-sided midfielder to help us go up.

Sam is a decent player, for sure, but does not score anything like enough goals for the amount of possession he gets.

I know he is often double-marked but even so, a return of only 10 goals in well over 100 games is pretty poor for a winger, he only has four goals this season (two of which were in one match) compared to Wagstaff who already has three goals from far fewer starts.

We would miss Sam, that is for certain, but I would sacrifice him to bring in Mooney/Akpo full time and to maybe bring in Puncheon on the left.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]no.1 in south london do you seriously think theyll plough that money back into the squad? nope.

Can only see us selling with a view to using it, otherwise why bother ? he'll stay if we don't want to do something that involves a transfer fee.
  • Its really a different set of skills in the lower divisions for a manger, there are pros and cons to selling Sam, I would say keep him, he has had a decent first half season, up and down form wise, as you will get in this league....

but the wagstaff argument and the higher return of goals is true, its difficult one....

you would hope his extra experience would count in a promotion push as we near the end of the season, although a hunger youngm fir in the belly, could also be valuable...

I say dont sell....
  • Ill be gutted if this happens. I really enjouy watching lloyd. Truth is though with our debt and his contract out in the summer we are cashing in and taking the low risk option which I think the board said had to be taken now. I know all us fans would prefer us to take the gamble on going up, say to lloud if we make it you stay next season and its all good. Its tough on parky too. How could we deal with it? I guess waggy comes in and we find a new backup right winger or.... we play the diamond with jonjo behin the front 2 and bailey , spring or racon and semedo in front of the back 4. We know parky likes that setup
  • If we get £750k for him now I'd bite their hand off.

If we can pump the money back into the squad.
  • edited January 2010
    Can see this happening and 'just maybe' Puncheon coming our way.
    Sam blows too hot and cold for me,though given the choice I'd like him to stay....not sure he's always worth his place, hense the number of times he finds himself being substituted.
    When he's on fire he's very very influential....but more often than not I have to say, he's frustratingly somewhat average.
  • He'd be a loss but we will cope. Obviously would rather keep him but if we get a decent fee then sell. He is no where as influential as selling Parker, Reid or Murphy imo
  • It’s a shame, but the reality of the club's status is clear. Finances are not the best, and rightly as some have said previously in this thread, I’d rather get money in the club now than zero in the summer if that’s his contract situation. I like him and would be sad to lose him but the club is bigger and must do what's right for itself, we'll survive and move on as we have in the past.
  • The sole Premiership survivor.

*wipes tear*
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]The sole Premiership survivor.

*wipes tear*
    Kelly Youga.
  • Knew there would be one...!