Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

++++Result of the Lennie Lawrence book competition++++

Well, it didn’t grip the nation in an X-Factor style frenzy, but it certainly got a few of you thinking.

We asked Lennie Lawrence who, with hindsight, would be the first three names he would put on his teamsheet from his time as Charlton manager, and asked you to try and match it.

Of the 51 entries, two of you failed to match any, 19 matched one player, 26 of you matched two players and just four of you matched all three. Sadly one of them was Mrs AFKA and she still isn’t talking to me after telling her she wasn’t eligible to win the prize !

The top three that Lennie gave was as follows:

1. Peter Shirtliff
2. John Humphrey
3. Robert Lee

Congratulations to Andrew Skinner, Welling who emerged victorious from the draw of the final three. He didn’t supply a photo so you can guess that he is no oil painting.

The breakdown of votes were as follows:

John Humphrey – 32
Bob Bolder – 29
Peter Shirtliff – 26
Robert Lee – 25
Colin Walsh – 8
Mark Aizlewood – 5
Mark Reid – 4
Steve Gritt – 4
Nicky Johns – 3
Jim Melrose – 3
Carl Leaburn – 3
Andy Peake – 2
Steve Thompson – 2
Derek Hales – 2
Colin Pates – 1
Paul Williams – 1
John Pearson -1
Alan Kernaghan -1
John Robinson – 1 (WTF ??)

Thanks to everyone who entered, and also to Green Umbrella Publishing for supplying the prize.

“Lennie” is out now, available from all good bookshops and also via our Charlton Life Amazon link.

Comments

• oooooohhhhhhh....

that means I hit the post........

I reckon shipping costs would have been more that the book....
  • Hmmm, quite pleased with that.
    I went for Humphrey, Bolder and Shirtliff and so obviously did loads of other people.
    History will record we are all losers ;-)
  • I didn't even consider Robert Lee and he's actually one of my mates!
  • Bolder Humphrey Lee for me, similar to many others combo of the top 4.
  • proves once again that Mrs AFKA is Proper Charlton and Mr AFKA isn't : - )
  • Johns,Humphrey,Lee

Cant believe i didnt even think of Shirtliff !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Interesting results. Rob Lee didn't actually have as much influence on the team when Lawrence was manager as say Colin Walsh or Bob Bolder (he was still prtty young). Without those two we would have been relegated in our first season back in Div 1. Humphrey and Shirtliff were nailed on but I'm surprised that he went for Lee (excellent player though).
  • I'm surprised that Paul Miller didn't get any votes as Lennie often sings his praises....though of course he did ultimately give him the elbow following the spitting incident.
  • lee, shirtliff, bolder for me

couldn't decide between lee and johnny h

dammit!
  • edited November 2009
    and he still tried to fleece us with a low ball bid for robert lee after he walked out on us for boro
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]and he still tried to fleece us with a low ball bid for robert lee after he walked out on us for boro

That was his job.
    Should he have paid over the odds then?
  • Lee, Shirtliff and Andy Peake for me (not sure why I said Any Peake, just felt there would be one 'unexpected' one in there)
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]and he still tried to fleece us with a low ball bid for robert lee after he walked out on us for boro

That was his job.
    Should he have paid over the odds then?

he should have bid what would be considered a slightly below reasonable value for him(maybe £500-600k) not a piss take £250k test the water to a club that was in desperate need of cash to get back to the valley, a club he supposedly liked, he knows he fcuked up and he admits it but £250k was derogatory imo from someone who had walked away from us to join boro and knew how much the money meant to us in getting us to return to the valley... i'm not saying he should have bid a million but what he did was rude imo
  • Oooh, just missed. I actually put Rob Lee on my list and then took him off again, working on the basis that as the first choice keeper Bolder would have made it straight onto the team sheet before anyone else. Should have realised that it wasn't an actual teamsheet...!
  • Can't believe more people didn't go for Colin Walsh. Until his injury the man was aboslutely first class....a match winner and so consistent. Made goals and scored them. Imagine if we could have him on the left of midfield now.....
  • Given that Bolder was a virtual ever present in the first division years I'm surprised that he wasn't one of the picks.

Still never mind he wasn't and thats a FACT!

Thanks for organising Danny.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Given that Bolder was a virtual ever present in the first division years I'm surprised that he wasn't one of the picks.

Still never mind he wasn't and thats a FACT!

Thanks for organising Danny.

Yeah, someone ring Lennie up and tell him he was wrong! And who the heck voted for Robbo???

Also like to add my thanks to Len's.
  • Oi Andy

After your done with it let me have a butch......LOL

PS

Andy have you told anyone that Lennie is your uncle?
  • Yes, who did vote for Robbo?

I thought Bobby Bolder was a shoe-in. Picked Johnny H and Walshie too.
  • Lee, Thompson & Shirts for me.......
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]Oi Andy

After your done with it let me have a butch......LOL

PS

Andy have you told anyone that Lennie is your uncle?[/quote]

Thought you might have went to enough games in that era to have picked his 3 as well ;-)

Also had Bolder as my fourth choice.

Humprhey - hardly missed a game
    Shirtliff - Play off games and attitude towards Mervyn Day
    Lee - Some games at Selhurst he won on his own.

Cheers Smudge,

Speak Soon
  • I went for the top three. Thought about Rob Lee but talked myself out of it.
  • I had Humphrey, Lee and Reid.
    I thought LL would go for Reid over Shirtliff, but should have given more weight to the Leeds playoffs matches.
  • Yes! I got all three ! Guess i didnt get picked out
  • To continue the (friendly) debate (friendly because everyone agrees they were both terrific Charlton players)....

1st Div 86/87 including cups;
    Rob Lee 42 apps 7 goals
    Colin Walsh 45 apps 9 goals

1st Div 87/88 including cups;
    Rob Lee 23 apps 2 goals
    Colin Walsh 14 apps 5 goals (broke leg in November 87)

1st Div 88/89 including cups;
    Rob Lee 36 apps 6 goals
    Coln Walsh 5 apps 0 goals (missed most of season with injury)

1st Dv 89/90 including cups;
    Rob Lee 44 apps 2 goals
    Colin Walsh 34 apps 3 goals

Now I've looked into the stats (and I know they don't mean everything) I understand Lennie's choice of Rob Lee because he was a regular in the team for so long and from such a young age. Here I've only covered the 1st Div period but Lee was also very effective under Lawrence in Div2. What is clear, is that Walsh's broken leg at Newcastle prevented him from being one of the all-time great performers at Charlton. We only really got to see the best of him for just over a year and maybe a year's brilliance wasn't enough to get him into Lennie's top three...and that I can understand. I am convinced that if he had not have suffered such a bad injury then he would have been difficult to separate from the great John Humphrey.

Thanks for the competition....it's been good to remember some excellent players and an excellent manager.
  • ha ha, who voted for John Robinson?!
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]To continue the (friendly) debate (friendly because everyone agrees they were both terrific Charlton players)....

1st Div 86/87 including cups;
    Rob Lee 42 apps 7 goals
    Colin Walsh 45 apps 9 goals

1st Div 87/88 including cups;
    Rob Lee 23 apps 2 goals
    Colin Walsh 14 apps 5 goals (broke leg in November 87)

1st Div 88/89 including cups;
    Rob Lee 36 apps 6 goals
    Coln Walsh 5 apps 0 goals (missed most of season with injury)

1st Dv 89/90 including cups;
    Rob Lee 44 apps 2 goals
    Colin Walsh 34 apps 3 goals

Now I've looked into the stats (and I know they don't mean everything) I understand Lennie's choice of Rob Lee because he was a regular in the team for so long and from such a young age. Here I've only covered the 1st Div period but Lee was also very effective under Lawrence in Div2. What is clear, is that Walsh's broken leg at Newcastle prevented him from being one of the all-time great performers at Charlton. We only really got to see the best of him for just over a year and maybe a year's brilliance wasn't enough to get him into Lennie's top three...and that I can understand. I am convinced that if he had not have suffered such a bad injury then he would have been difficult to separate from the great John Humphrey.

Thanks for the competition....it's been good to remember some excellent players and an excellent manager.
    He did all right on his return to newcastle though in that 4-3 epic win. Talk about laying the injury to rest.
  • BUGGER

have been away all weekend so didnt manage to enter in time my top three were
    Peter Shirtliff
    John Humphrey
    Robert Lee

Bugger bugger bugger, what a coincidence
  • If its any consolation I did manage to get my three in.
  • OneLung....what a game that was! Walsh's finishing was superb and so was Barness's strike. Can you remember how low the crowd was though? And to thnk a few years later they were getting 50,000!