Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carl Ikeme doesn't like Carlisle

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
Large put this link on another post, which people may miss. Thought it was worth a seperate airing in true doom and gloom Golfie style.

Carlisle United to face calamity keeper Carl Ikeme
By Jon Colman

Last updated at 16:28, Friday, 30 October 2009

Charlton have prepared for their League One trip to Carlisle this weekend by signing a goalkeeper who conceded six on his last appearance at Brunton Park.

Flashback: Stockport County keeper Carl Ikeme punches the ball into his own net after coming under pressure from United’s Karl Hawley. Carl Ikeme is still fondly remembered by Blues fans for his hapless performance for Stockport when they were beaten 6-0 by United in October 2005.

The custodian has now joined Charlton on loan from Wolves after the Addicks’ first-choice keeper Rob Elliot was ruled out with a leg injury.

He is likely to make his debut at the ground where he suffered the indignity of conceding half-a-dozen goals to Paul Simpson’s League Two title-winning side.

Among Carlisle’s goals that day was an own-goal from the goalkeeper, who farcically punched a Paul Arnison cross into his own net.

He was also beaten by a Karl Hawley hat-trick and two efforts from Derek Holmes.

But Charlton boss Phil Parkinson insists he has signed a quality replacement for ever-present Elliot, who suffered a torn adductor muscle in their 1-1 draw with Gillingham last weekend and will be missing for six weeks.

“Carl is a good goalkeeper. He offers a big, physical presence and we’re looking forward to working with him,” said the Valley chief.

The Addicks’ other senior goalkeeper is former Republic of Ireland Under-21 international Darren Randolph.

United boss Greg Abbott, meanwhile, believes his team are capable of upsetting the odds against League One's second-placed side this weekend.

The Blues recorded their first win in eight games against Southend last Saturday while the Addicks were scrambling a 1-1 draw at Gillingham.

And Abbott believes the Cumbrians' improvement can continue.

“Charlton will get a tremendous amount of respect from me,” said Abbott.

“They are where they are because they deserve to be, but we think we've got a great chance of marching on and putting a run together.

“We are confident we can give them a really good game. The players are in determined mood, the win last Saturday has given them that lift and bit of confidence to say ‘we can do it’.

“We've got to do it on more regular basis now. Were looking forward to Sat probably a bit more than Charlton at the moment.”

Comments

• To be fair to Ikeme, that howler was 4 years ago .... when he was young and way before he played in the CCC for Wolves and got good write ups.
  • edited October 2009
    I wish i hadn't read that :( but hay ho it's off to carlisle i go
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]To be fair to Ikeme, that howler was 4 years ago .... when he was young and way before he played in the CCC for Wolves and got good write ups.

I know and it's what I thought, but it's still got me worried.
  • At Stockport on loan, he was just 19 years old and at the time had only played a small handful of games.
    That's no experience at all for a rookie keeper.

He's had a run of 13 consecutive CCC games with Wolves since, where he got good reviews before he got injured.
    He signed a new 4-year contract with Wolves last Christmas, so they must rate him.
  • A keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him and our back four I reckon is a lot better than Stockport's that day.
  • edited October 2009
    Play Randolph!
    The easy answer.
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Play Randolph!
    The easy answer.
    Well Ikeme is a highly rated keeper, so can't see that we'd have got him without some assurances.

But it seemed mental to hand Randolph a new contract then not play him. Local goalkeeper for local people, I say.
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Play Randolph!
    The easy answer.

I don't know which keeper to play, although it would be fair to play Randolph, but lets not forget how he and McCarthy screwed up previously. Keepers make mistakes and come back from them.
  • He should play whichever keeper will be unable to stop long ballooned soft shots from a ninety year old man. That's what he should do.

Oh yeah, and he should give Randolph a new contract and pay him in hard cash despite believing that he is not good enough for League One
  • Not sure he was completely at fault, but I think this may well be bad news for the club.

It begs the question of why you'd bother to pay Randolph good money if you believe him not to be good enough to step up when the time comes. Surely we'd have been better letting him go, keeping Binks for emergencies, and relyig on loans.

You do wonder what his state of mind must be at this point. I hope he gets to play the cup games and demonstrate his worth, though I kind of doubt Wolves or Ikeme have agreed the deal for him not to start.

The real - bigger point - is that if you were a player outside of our inner sanctum of Parky favourites, you'd probably look at what's happened to Randolph and say, there is no point in progressing and fighting for my place, because it's a fight I'll never win. Dicko alluded to this when he said that he'd been top scorer in pre-season every year that he'd been at the club, without ever getting a run of starts. It's so important that players outside of the first 14-18 have something to strive for, and I think Parky's methods may be taking that away from them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair play to Ikeme, Charlton Lifers rated him our MOM.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Fair play to Ikeme, Charlton Lifers rated him our MOM.[/quote]

From what I saw of the hi-lights none of the goals were down to him. Made a great save from the pen and was very unlucky with the follow up. Midfield and Defence let Kavanagh run and run for his 2 goals.
  • Lets hope they don't get Carlisle in the ACN