Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reid's role in the run in

ScoSco
edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Does the geezer have one now? I could see him playing against the teams that try to play a bit of football. He reminds a bit of Jensen in that he seems to take four to five matches before he gets up to his (admittedly excellent) standard. We cannot carry anyone at the moment.

Anyone?

Comments

• Difficult to see where he will fit back in - difficult to drop anyone from the midfield after last saturday. Probably have to use him as a sub.

Imagine the sight of Reidy and JFH waddling on to the pitch...
  • Leave well alone in the midfield just now - with Dennis as sub/ back up to keep Ambrose and Thomas on top form.
    Reid would only be alternative to Holland - but that would leave us very short on tackling/ tracking back, and agree we can't afford to carry him while he finds match fitness. Did he play for ressies yesterday, or is he still injured anyway?
  • If Marcus is not fit,I think Pards should play him just behind Baby Bent
  • Who would you drop?

Certainly not Song, you can't drop Thomas after two goals and he can't play on the right, Holland is playing well. A good bench replacement, if he's fit enough.
  • Good question. I can't see a place for him in the run in - injuries aside. The guy hasn't been fit all season (all career?) so I don't think we can - or should - expect him to miraculously get fit AND displace anyone from the current team.

It's funny how he's gone from what most people thought was more or less our only chance of staying up - i.e. him loading the bullets for DB - to being just a squad member.
  • edited February 2007
    bound to be injuries..

also we might not want to play 2 out and out wingers in tougher away matches, so I could imagine a formation like

Song
    Thomas Reid ZZ
    Bent Bent
  • Don't think he'll be fit again this season
  • Does any one think his role might be a bacon one?
  • All this never been fit all career is a load of BOLL**KS.If he had never been fit all his career spurs would never have payed 6 mill for him.I followed his career at Forest as I thought we should have bought him after his first season (probably would have got him for £1 mill).He was rushed back for Boro and it has back fired but don't label him until he has had at least 3 years out like Rowett,Poole etc.He ain't ever goin to be a lean mean figure,it just isn't his body shape just like John Robertson when he was at Forest years ago.He played 3 injury free years at Forest so a little unfair to say has been injured all his career.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Don't think he'll be fit again this season

Is that a guess or do you have some inside info?

I must say I have been surprised that he hasn't been mentioned much when Pard's has been talking about players coming back from injury. It is a hamstring problem he's got not a ham sandwich problem though?

If he is going to be back, I'd play him instead of Big Bent in the hole behind Baby Bent in a 4 4 1 1 formation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still think he's got a big part to play this season. I think a few people are looking at players like Thomas & Ambrose with some very Rose tinted spectacles after one good game each at the weekend. Reid, although he's missed a lot of games has been a far better player than both of these players this season in my opinion.
  • Agreed NSS. As you say, he never has been and never will be a skinny (remember Sammy Lee?? Played week in week out at the highest level and looked like he feasted on kebabs...). However, in football parlance 'He has a good engine'!!! and he has a lot of talent.

Rushing him back for the Boro game and then letting him play on for too long when he was hobbling around was a serious mistake.
  • Agreed Kets, but I don't see him as a wide man unlike those two.
  • Redi is class. End of.

Thomas and Ambrose have just had their best ever games for us and Thomas's fitness record is no better than Reidy's, so he'll make his way back at some stage - perhaps as bing says if big bent is injured we could play him in the hole (I'm not referring to doughnuts by the way).
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Don't think he'll be fit again this season

Is that a guess or do you have some inside info?

I must say I have been surprised that he hasn't been mentioned much when Pard's has been talking about players coming back from injury. It is a hamstring problem he's got not a ham sandwich problem though?

If he is going to be back, I'd play him instead of Big Bent in the hole behind Baby Bent in a 4 4 1 1 formation.

Just a feeling
  • no recent news and I reckon he's gonna be out a while yet
  • Is that role or roll?
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Is that role or roll?

Didn't spot my "bacon" reference then Dan? Ah well........................:-)
  • If we stay up I reckon Pards will ditch him.

Not a Charlton player nor a Pards type player in my opinion.

Needs to lose at least a stone in the summer.
  • ScoSco
    edited February 2007
    Maybe I started this off too negatively. I like the way he plays footy and think that he could be a key player for us were we in a different situation. It is just that right now, I wonder what he could do for us and whether it might affect his long term prospects for us as I understand that a manager may form an opinion and find it hard to shake.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think saying he's not a Charlton type player is wide of the mark, I can't see him going anywhere..
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]If we stay up I reckon Pards will ditch him.

Not a Charlton player nor a Pards type player in my opinion.

Needs to lose at least a stone in the summer.[/quote]

sorry but if pards don't rate him,then he isn't the manager i thought he was.
  • This seems to be based on a decent performance against Watford and a few good 20 minutes here and there.

Going out on the lash in Puerto Banus when he is on a specific fitness exercise isnt the cleverest thing to do.

Pards demands high fitness and with Thomas and Ambrose similar players (Thomas better in my opinion) that is the reason why I think he may be ditched.

Reid would never have been able to score the goal that Thomas got in the second half. He would have had to take a touch and get it on his left foot.
  • A pint of whatever you've been drinkin please
  • cant agree at all, Reid has been a 'diamond in a pile of shite' for most of the season IMHO..
  • He has more 'natural talent' than most of the rest of them put together, which is why he stood out when the others had lost confidence and commitment. With the application they've shown under Pards, the rest have caught him up. To get his place back, he needs to combine the talent and the application.
  • and fitness....
  • Until there's an injury or two, or an occasional change to 4-5-1, he'll have to make his contribution coming off the bench.

He's got a lot of ability - I think he's our best midfielder by a wide (no pun intended) margin, it's just that the current midfield is doing the business.
  • Earlier in the season the consensus was that he played better in a 4-5-1 formation, ie with four players around him in midfield, but unlike others he didn't go missing when results didn't go our way.

Frankly with his injury record I can't see another club taking him off our hands, at least not for decent money so I reckon he'll be at the Valley next season.
  • I think his role will be a sausage roll. Has anyone done that yet?