Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 4th October 1977. Charlton 4 Brighton 3

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
A classic of epic proportions this one. 2-0 up, 3-2 down and played in front of a healthy crowd too.

Tuesday 4th October 1977. Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Tydeman 16, McAuley 31, Peacock 66, Powell 71) Brighton and Hove Albion 3 (1) (Ward 38 57 (pen), Winstanley 62)
The Valley. Att: 19,098.

Charlton: Wood, Penfold, Warman, Tydeman, Giles, Berry, Powell, Abrahams (Gritt 77), Flanagan, Peacock, McAuley.

Brighton: Steele, Tiler, Williams, Horton, Winstanley, Cattlin, Potts, Ward, Mellor (Fell 71), Piper, O'Sullivan.

Referee: M Taylor (Walmer, Kent)

Penalty: Awarded against Penfold for a foul on Ward. Horton's first effort was saved by Wood but a retake was ordered for the keeper moving before the ball was kicked. The second kick was struck wide but Wood was adjudged to have moved again. Finally Ward took responsibility and slammed the third attempt past Wood.

Highest crowd: With a full midweek programme, Charltons gate was the highest in the second division.

Comments

• Remember it well, great game. Peter Ward was the nuts that night too. That was a good Brighton team - I think they went up the season after, didn't they?
  • Cracking game and once again we flattered to deceive re our potential for promotion.

McCauley looked a half decent player that night but did not reproduce that form too often!
  • I think we played Spurs not long after and beat them 4-1. McAuley was blinding that night.
  • edited October 2007
    For some reason I watched a Charlton game for the only time from a seat in the West Stand. A cracking night, I remember there were quite a few Brighton fans in there and me and my brother really gave it large when we scored that winner!

Laurie Abrahams, now there was a player that I could never quite get to appreciate. Never looked or ran like a footballer. Much like Peter Shaw and Mark Stuart.

Everyone was raving about Ward at the time. Going to be leading the England attack etc. OK he was pretty handy during this spell and he went to Forest eventually but never really cut it. Found his England 'claim to fame'.....

International career
    In 1977, Ward had been selected for an England under-21 game against Norway. He scored a hat trick in a 6-0 win for England. He was selected for the full England squad against Luxembourg a month later but didn't make it onto the bench.

His only full cap came on 31 May 1980, in a 2-1 win over Australia. Peter Ward came on in the 85th minute, making his international career the shortest ever for an England player.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ward_%28English_footballer%29"
  • Classic Charlton, wasn't it? 2-0 up and coasting, then getting bitten in the arse and 2-3 down before the fightback.

The winner from Paddy Powell was an absolute screamer.

A couple of 1-2's down the right wing and Paddy cut inside and let fly from 25 yards.
    The keeper never even saw it.

And Paddy always reckoned his left foot was for standing on.....?!

Was that really 30 years ago? That's scary.........
  • Twas a great game, and a really great crowd. Stood on the East Terrace for this one, Ward did indeed look the part in the second division....Dickie Tydeman was a favourite of mine at the time....yep scary where did that 30 years go.....I still tell everyone Im only 28.....
  • I was there with my Dad...the Covered End was rocking at the end...
  • [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Twas a great game, and a really great crowd. Stood on the East Terrace for this one, Ward did indeed look the part in the second division....Dickie Tydeman was a favourite of mine at the time....yep scary where did that 30 years go.....I still tell everyone Im only 28.....

Me too, Tel.........
  • Thanks for jogging the memory - had forgotten all about this one, but now it's coming back to me - was there on the East Terrace with my Dad too. The penalty retaking was farcical!
  • i was there...what a great game that was...
  • Sponsored links:

• I nearly went head first down the steps at The Covered End when we got our winner, was 14 at the time. One of my favourite CAFC games of all time.
  • I remember the despair as we went three two down and then the bounce back and Paddy's winner. Breathless blood pressurised magic.
  • Agree about the all time favorite game. I was 14 and remember seeing my mate being lifted off the ground with the crowd on the way out, the Covered End was amazing that night.
  • Bump for a wet Monday afternoon. One of my favorite games from the 70's.
  • Why was the crowd so large?
  • How come games like this were never filmed??

I would love to see the highlights.....only 4 at the time!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Why was the crowd so large?

Brighton were top I think. If not certainly top 3. Charlton were about 7th and Hales, Flanagan and Powell were at their peak.
  • Close to the best game I've ever seen, for some reason the combination of circumstances made it a wonder. In terms of how good it was, and felt, the vibe was like the Manure 3-3, except we got a winner. Paddys goal was terrific, but it wasn't just the seven goals, there were loads of chances, good play by both teams, great moments....the whole crowd was constantly gasping and 'oohing' for the whole 90 minutes. It remains a classic memory of the older games at the Valley and why we all agree Charlton Athletic are magic.
  • One of my favourite games EVER.

I started a "give us a C" for the first time in my life in the Covered End and carried onto "What have you got"....... to me it appeared if the whole covered end joined in.

Proud lad!
  • That was a great game. It was the first Charlton game my then girlfriend - now Mrs Cafcfan - attended. The next home game was indeed the Spurs 4-1 match. I think she thought it would be like that every week - bless! But after 30 odd (some very odd) years supporting the Addicks, she knows different!
  • Sponsored links:

• For the suicidal
  • edited December 2012
    The thing that surprises me about that report was Cardinal Sin was only 14 at the time...I thought he was a lot older than that ;0)
  • ..........I can still smell the dog-food factory odour that always drifted across the Valley at mid-week games in the 1970's. Sigh!
  • meldrew66 said:

..........I can still smell the dog-food factory odour that always drifted across the Valley at mid-week games in the 1970's. Sigh!

Meldrew, that was my mate Tommy Richards, little Herbert was famous for not washing. Stinky little covered end regular in those days;;;

• edited December 2012
    That is a brilliant account from Drinking During The Game.

I remember the match well and it was utterly wonderful. I believe Peter Ward had just been called up by England too, Brighton fans were out in force and thickened the uncovered end in a swathe of blue.
    The bald facts are dramatic enough, what with the thrice taken penalty, and the scoreline swinging back and forth. However all the football played by both sides was equally dramatic, move after great move, and chances and opportunities were happening all the time. None of the players approached the game in a cynical fashion, all were playing for the joy of the game, the thrill of the sport, the challenge of the contest.
    The crowd was really up for it all, sheer exhilaration could have almost been eaten with a spoon it was everywhere. The lights, the atmosphere, the fans, the players, the officials, the game, and of course the result, seemed to fuse into the most perfect Valley night you could ever have.
    It was one of those defining games of the era that welded you to football and to Charlton Athletic. I would love to see a video of it again to see if it matches my memories, but it is still possibly the best game of football I have ever seen in my life.
  • oops, I realise I have already posted this kind of stuff on this thread, 'drinkings' report brought it all back, sorry for repeating myself.
  • The thing that surprises me about that report was Cardinal Sin was only 14 at the time...I thought he was a lot older than that ;0)

Oi! How very dare you. Still the right side if 50 and gallivanting!
  • ..........I can still smell the dog-food factory odour that always drifted across the Valley at mid-week games in the 1970's. Sigh!

Spillars! I lived in Woolwich for a year and felt sick every Sunday when that hideous niff drifted south if the river.
  • Taking away the PNE promotion game I reckon for sheer emotion and atmosphere this was the best Valley night of the 70's. Those were the days we seemed to win all our home games and lose all the away ones possibly something to do with Andy Nelson not beleiving in defensive midfielders.