Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car scrapping

DA9DA9
edited September 2009 in Not Sports Related
Anyone know of a decent breaker who collects & pays for scrap cars?

Either that or does someone want a Rover 25, X reg, only 60k on the clock, but needs new head gasket, yours for £150.

Comments

• Quel suprise, a Rover with a blown headgasket!!
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Quel suprise, a Rover with a blown headgasket!!

Ha, indeed. I remember my old 220GTi going pop big time. Damned thing.

What else is up with it DA9? Does it have a/c?
  • Mate, a Rover with a blown head gasket is not worth the fuel left in the tank. Scrap it!!
  • webuyanycar.com ...........Maybe worth a look ?
  • I think the place in Swanley is still going if you're in DA9 postcode that shouldn't be too bad to get it to? I'll be buggered if I can remember the name of it though.

There is a few places round Strood way but I'm guessing that's a bit out the way for you
  • Scrapyards in Strood.... you're winding me up!
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I think the place in Swanley is still going if you're in DA9 postcode that shouldn't be too bad to get it to? I'll be buggered if I can remember the name of it though.

There is a few places round Strood way but I'm guessing that's a bit out the way for you

If it's the one that had the old orange car on a plinth, it's called ZB's
  • webuyanycar.com webuyanycar.com webuyanycar.com webuyanycar.com webuyanycar.com
  • DA9 im sure i have seen an add somewhere from a dealer that says "We pay£1,000 for ANY car".If you can find that dealer might we worth geting the gasket done and flogin it in.
  • I use a CD cover or failing that a credit card
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9DA9
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Quel suprise, a Rover with a blown headgasket!!

Ha, indeed. I remember my old 220GTi going pop big time. Damned thing.

What else is up with it DA9? Does it have a/c?

2nd time its happened as well, K series engine, allegedly well know for it, I work in a garage and could have it repaired for about £400, but it has also damaged some pistons, so the bill could run into £700-£800 pounds, and the car is just not worth it, still has decent tyres on it, no a/c though.
  • K series, in it's time, was a cracking engine... just a shame it was Rover!
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]K series, in it's time, was a cracking engine... just a shame it was Rover!

Cracking engine, but sh*t head gasket. The replacement ones are now better designed and last a lot longer. Stick one in an old MG Midget (it's not that difficult) and you've got a pocket rocket.
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]K series, in it's time, was a cracking engine... just a shame it was Rover!

Cracking engine, but sh*t head gasket. The replacement ones are now better designed and last a lot longer. Stick one in an old MG Midget (it's not that difficult) and you've got a pocket rocket.

Same goes for the MGF I think... 1.8 K series. Again, just a shame it was a Rover!
  • Old thread resurrection alert. 

I own a few garages that are rented out and after having to change locks on one the locksmith informed the agents that there's an old car in there. Agents have attempted to make contact with the solicitors acting for the estate of the previous tenant but have had no response for months.

I plan on ringing the DVLA next week to see what they advise (it's untaxed and no mot) but does anyone know if I'd be legally allowed to get it scrapped? Is a log book always required? Cheers. 
  • Not sure.

It looks as though if you're registered keeper, you have an obligation to tell DVLA if you scrap a vehicle (more here)

If you're not registered keeper, then not sure it could come back on you, and the registered keeper is no longer in a position to do anything about it (as I'm reading what you've said) then arguably it's not your responsibility.

If it's not taxed and has no MOT then you'd not be allowed to drive it away to scrap it (I'm probably stating the bleeding obvious here, but it doesn't do any harm sometimes)

This (a scrap dealer whose page came up on a search) suggests you don't legally need to have a V5C (log book) and it might do to just let DVLA know.

Presume you're legally in the position where you can take ownership of the vehicle in lieu of rent arrears and where you've made reasonable efforts to contact the owner?

There is a process for claiming ownership of a vehicle (or at least getting it registered in your name) without a V5C - you need a V62 form from DVLA - for a fee of £ 25, DVLA will write to the registered keeper they have on their system, and if they don't hear anything after X amount of time (I'm not sure how long X is these days) then they will issue a V5C in your name. You would need either to tax or SORN the vehicle at the same time.

Unless of course the vehicle has been off the road so long it's fallen out of DVLA's system in which case it gets complicated but is do-able.

May be worth contacting a local scrap dealer and see what they say.

Also assuming we're talking a car that's not going to be worth more than scrap value - it's not a repairable classic, is it?
  • edited October 2020
    Thats very helpful @CatfordCat thanks.
    This is the vehicle, wasn't sure if I should black out the reg or not but decided to do so. It's a 'J' reg and still in the system. Tax expired June '19. 

Yes pretty sure I'm in a position where I can take ownership of the vehicle, not much more could have been done to try to engage with the solicitors.

Don't think I really want to try to obtain a v5c unless really necessary.
    If it's not taxed etc and not declared Sorn would the DVLA make arrangements themselves to get it off the 'road'? Hoping they can clear this up when I speak to them. 
    If they don't want anything to do with it then I'll contact scrap dealers and hopefully find one that isn't bothered about the log book. 

• Addickted said:
    I'd check with OB before you do anything. Give them the registration number and the vehicles VIN.

Someone doesn't leave what looks like a half decent 3 series in a garage for someone else to deal with, without there being a reason.

not going to do any harm, although from previous post, it sounds as though the previous owner may not no longer be in a position to do anything about it, and if s/he died without family (or if family aren't in UK) then maybe dealing with it isn't so easy.

i'm not a lawyer or anything like that, but wonder if a recorded delivery letter to executors along the lines of 'this car has been in my garage since X date, there are rent arrears of Y.  unless i hear from you within 28 days i intend to sell the car to offset these arrears'

also wondering if a BMW of that age is worth a bit more than scrap value - BMW's aren't really my line of country...
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    I'd check with OB before you do anything. Give them the registration number and the vehicles VIN.

Someone doesn't leave what looks like a half decent 3 series in a garage for someone else to deal with, without there being a reason.
    It's quite a tragic sequence of events as after the tenant passed away, his son asked to keep the tenancy going and that he'd settle the arrears after the estate was dealt with. Then sadly the son also died. Since then the agents haven't had contact from anyone regarding the estate. 

I doubt it's a dodgy car but no harm in checking so I'll give the OB a call as well, cheers. 
  • Can’t see what it looks like inside or out but a 25 year old 3 series ain’t worth much
  • Boom said:
    Can’t see what it looks like inside or out but a 25 year old 3 series ain’t worth much
    I think you'd be surprised. Dozens like the add below.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1255357
  • Addickted said:
    Boom said:
    Can’t see what it looks like inside or out but a 25 year old 3 series ain’t worth much
    I think you'd be surprised. Dozens like the add below.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1255357
    Blimey if it's anything like that I might try to get the v5c after all 😅
  • It might be worthwhile.

Give it a polish up, service and get it a new MOT. Even a half decent 318i will get you £3/£4k.
  • Cheers. I'm going to go down there anyway and clean out the other bits and bobs so will take a look at it and get the VIN number.
  • edited October 2020
    Addickted said:
    It might be worthwhile.

Give it a polish up, service and get it a new MOT. Even a half decent 318i will get you £3/£4k.
    Another (although time consuming) option would be to strip and sell the parts. Decent body panels, interiors as well as engine/running gear components would have a value. You could always scroll the shell once done as well.
  • Went today to clear everything out (except the car!). Unfortunately the windows had been left open and the roof is leaking so there is mould everywhere. Take a look at the steering wheel 😭

• Just looking at the condition of the interior from that picture, I would say there's definitely a saleable asset there.

Dave you passed the Reg and VIN onto OB yet?