Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sir Bobby Robson R I P

Comments

• A very sad day for England and for football

RIP Sir Bobby
  • You can't watch this without welling up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFN5n-MF_dA
  • A fighter & gentleman to the end.

Pity there aren't more like him in the world of football.

God bless.
  • edited July 2009
    RIP Sir Bobby

I remember coming out of Wembley Arena after seeing Duran Duran in the late 80's when England were playing a friendly at the Stadium the same night. As I came across the car park to get on the coach, who did I see just walking along minding his own but Sir Bobby. I ran up to him and asked him 'did we win? did we win?'

He seemed a bit taken back at first that this teenage girly in a Duran t shirt was pulling at his sleeve but then gave me a huge smile and put his thumbs up. I skipped away happy as larry, didn't even wait for him to say anything.

What an absolute legend!
  • Agree with all the above. Didn't know until I saw the post on the front page of the forum site.

RIP
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]You can't watch this without welling up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFN5n-MF_dA
    Thanks for that link it was very moving. I'm getting a few strange looks in the office now!

There's also a nice quote there from Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."
  • RIP Sir Bobby as everybody has said, when it all boils down he was above all a real football man

Graham Taylor is now the most senior remaining ex-England Manager - that is scary!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]RIP Sir Bobby as everybody has said, when it all boils down he was above all a real football man

Graham Taylor is now the most senior remaining ex-England Manager - that is scary!

To think we were replacing Sir Bobby with Taylor even before the end of Italy '90.
    The papers, the Mirror in particular, were disgraceull
  • We salute you, Sir Bobby.

RIP and thank you for the memories, you wonderful football man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame his favoured club and his country both largely shat on a bloke that generally did better for them than any of the many others that preceded or followed him. Price of being in an idiots' business.
  • Very few people are universally loved in football, but he was. The comments on this thread illustrate this.

I never met the man, but I will miss him.

RIP.
  • Total football has just left the building.....a true gent who will be sadly missed.

RIP Sir Bobby Robson
  • I was out in Sardinia for all the 1990 World Cup group games.

He took a load of stick out there from the media and he still came through and was a real gentleman with the right values to the end.

A *genuine* football man.

RIP Sir Bobby.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]A fantastic true english football gent, will always remember Italia 90 in my lifetime when we should've won it.

Will be sorely missed.

R.I.P Sir Bobby

Spot on, all i wanted to say is here above.

RIP Sir Bobby, i was gutted when i heard of this news.
  • RIP top man
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Shame his favoured club and his country both largely shat on a bloke that generally did better for them than any of the many others that preceded or followed him. Price of being in an idiots' business.

In both cases, he became much more appreciated after he left than he was while on the job.

I met him once, after a press conference, and commented to him that he seemed to have a cordial relationship with the media after all that he had been put through as England manager. He said that it went with the territory, and that you needed to be professional and have a thick skin. He also said that the only time the criticism really stung when when it went beyond him to family.

A classy gentleman whose place in football history is secure.
  • RIP top fella, you were above all your peers in the way you led your life and are a legend and an example to all in how to suffer the slings and arrows of life in any profession. You always came across as a diamond and I think Alex fergusons comments sum you up perfectly.

I will never forget being in Naples or Turin and you and your team making sure all the fans were thanked for their loyalty win or lose.

You are an example to all of how a great man should handle himself and I wish I had the pleasure of meeting you.

RIP legend Sir Bobby.
  • edited July 2009
    That previous u tube link summed up the man. An absolute star.
    Like someone posted earlier, he got to see all his team from 1990.
    How do you celebrate such a fine man?
    Geordie derby? May allow certain Sunderland supporters to think again about what they sung.
  • Legend, god bless you sir Bobby.
  • Sponsored links:

• first time logged on today I am truly gutted you were a gentleman in every sense of the word god bless you SIR BOBBY you make me proud to be a englishman R.I.P
  • So very sorry to hear that he had lost his brave fight. A lovely man, who loved football and the north east, a true legend
  • A true legend and gent, World Cup 90 was the event that started my love of football.

If it was not for him and that team I may have never found the game I now love.

He was truly one of the few men in history who I reckon didn't make a single enemy in his life, he was loved by all.

There will be one extra star in the sky tonight and that will be Sir Bobby.

RIP
  • RIP this man is and was a legend.. and that is a FACT, he changed the face of English football and how we were seen by the rest of the world.

bobbyrobson.jpg
  • RIP, real legend
  • A true gentleman who will be sadly missed. RIP Sir Bobby.
  • R I P Sir Bobby. What a fantastic bloke and a true gent.
  • RIP.......

Top bloke and always had good things to say about Charlton.....
  • Such sad news, R.I.P Sir Bobby. The world of football has lost one of its best.
  • RIP Sir Bobby. First England Manager I can really remember and still my favourite by a long shot.