Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Compromise with Fortune ?

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
With his omission from the Sheff U squad tonight, and i can't help but feel there is a deal that can be worked out still.

Offer him a short-term contract on what we can afford now, on the proviso that if things go to plan, we'll up his money to x, if things don't then we'll let him leave in January on a free.

We need a centre half with his experience and ability desperately right now, he equally needs to get back to playing regular football. I'm sure he can secure a better contract elsewhere, but will he be as likely to get the regular first team football he would undoubtedly get here right now, for the sake of a bit less money for a few weeks / months ?

Comments

• I don't think we can afford him though ....
  • I hope PP brings in Jaidi, Fortune and Dailly. We need bodies at the back urgently and these three plus Llera if at all possible would make us solid in League 1 imho.
  • I think it's bad of him for the fact that the financial trouble we are in, we have payed his wages for how many months whilst he was injured, I think he should show some loyalty and at least sign a 1 year contract. We stuck by him he should stick by us.
  • How about we give him the wages we aren't giving to the three centre halfs we need for cover along with Miguel Llera?

It was bad last year only having Forch and Hudson but at least that was 2.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]I don't think we can afford him though ....

If you don't buy a raffle ticket, you don't win a prize
  • Having bust my achilles the day after JF and had the same surgeon fix it with the same surgery. JF will have to be very very careful about his training regime and I cant see how he would be 100% the same player now as he was before the injury.

Fact is that he will be left with a leg which isnt as strong as it was.

Fact that the injury will always be prone to re-rupture.

The thought of re-rupture im sure will be on his mind and that will prevent him from giving 100% Im sure the surgeon (registrar) was getting a bit annoyed with all the questions about sport and was really adamant that so long as you werent planning on "going to the olympics" or "begining a prem football career" you would be fine to excercise. My questioning of suitable sports I could do with minimal risk of re-rupture were. Marathons, yes. Cricket, yes. Cycling, yes. Squash, No. Football, most definately NO!

I really feel for JF but cant see him being the player was, hope im proved wrong.
  • Totally agree with Lardy.

It's funny how a player most thought was average at best, is now viewed as some reniassance Beckenbauer.
  • My understanding of Parkys comment was he will be offered an improvement if and when a takeover happens but until then he is free to pursue other options as he can't be expected to put his career on hold
  • lardy, dont know how old or fit you were but i dont think the comparison with a young and very fit pro is valid.

I had the same knee surgeon as Gazza. There the comparison ends.

I thought we had offered JF a contract IF we had the dosh so it's not a case of him being disloyal imho.

Really hope we can sort out a deal along the line Afka suggests.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lardy[/cite]Having bust my achilles the day after JF and had the same surgeon fix it with the same surgery. JF will have to be very very careful about his training regime and I cant see how he would be 100% the same player now as he was before the injury.

The thought of re-rupture im sure will be on his mind and that will prevent him from giving 100% Im sure the surgeon (registrar) was getting a bit annoyed with all the questions about sport and was really adamant that so long as you werent planning on "going to the olympics" or "begining a prem football career" you would be fine to excercise. My questioning of suitable sports I could do with minimal risk of re-rupture were. Marathons, yes. Cricket, yes. Cycling, yes. Squash, No. Football, most definately NO!

I really feel for JF but cant see him being the player was, hope im proved wrong.

I actually completely snapped my achilles tendon some years back, my right leg never has been and never will be the same.
    True I'm not a proffesional sportsman but I can't see how on earth John will be able to get back to the same levels of ability that he has been used to. Achilles a very nasty and long term injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• If they managed to re-attach the entire tendon and the rehab routine was strictly adhered to, then medically the prognosis is very good. Can be more troublesome in older sportsmen if the tendon has frayed prior to surgery. Don't know the details of Fortune's injury, but if the medics have given him the all clear, I'd love us to find a way of keeping him. Get on the phone AFKA.
  • Henry

Certainly wouldnt compare myself to a young and fit profesional footballer (if only).

But, the injury is not the same as say a broken bone (which will generally be stronger once healed). The net result of the injury is a weakening of the tendon which will increase the chance of re-rupture. Im sure JF will carry on playing. My personal opinion is that the thought of re-rupture will always be with him to some extent when hes playing. Or to put it another way, Im not a pro sportsman and if i do it again playing sport then I will be in pain for a bit and then on crutches for a couple of months then rehab etc but i can chosse to avoid the high risk sports. If he does it again his career would pretty much be scuppered and (i think) this fact would therefore weigh pretty heavilly on his mind.

I'll say it again. I really hope he has a long and fulfilling carreer, I just dont think he will be the player he was for a long time (if ever)
  • Don't doubt it could have an effect on him and increase the chance of a break down.

In some ways that benefits us as it might put off another club offering him a deal.

It's just that plenty of pros have come back from similar injuries and played for a number of years.

And younger, fitter people with hopefully good physio advice will be better able to compensate for the injury and overcome it.
  • True

Wish I was younger.

And fitter

Richer

Better looking

I'll stop there.

If he stays he'll do a job at centre back for sure.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lardy[/cite]Having bust my achilles the day after JF and had the same surgeon fix it with the same surgery. JF will have to be very very careful about his training regime and I cant see how he would be 100% the same player now as he was before the injury.

Lardy, I bust mine a while back. After the plaster came off and I started physio, my physiotherapist said that the tendon was stronger than ever! I never had any problems with it.
  • Haha

Maybe it was just my weak and withered body then.

God luck jf I fear you will need it

For what its worth. If jf were to stay and play at center back, I think a pairing with matty holland would work.
  • hmm then we'd need the funds to keep him too... Damn this takeover.
  • Interesting insight Lardy
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I had the same knee surgeon as Gazza. There the comparison ends.

So you're still going to the AA meetings then Henry.

Good lad.
  • AA = Addicks Anonymous?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I had the same knee surgeon as Gazza. There the comparison ends.

Good lad.

I don't have a drink problem. It goes down very easily.
  • Wasn't it a ruptured achilles that more or less finished Paul Mortimer?
  • It was ruptured Achilles that finished Norman Whiteside very prematurely.
    Remember him, the Manure boy wonder .... ?

It's a nasty, nasty injury.

Now if I was manager, lol ........ I'd ask the Board to work out a deal like AFKA suggests.

1) Give him a 3 year contract, we can ease him back as the season progresses, then makes him a saleable asset likely to raise a substantial fee, which means he can be sold (not given away) in January - if our season has gone tits up leaving no realistic promotion prospects.

2) Within that contract, make part payable at the end of the season dependant on:
    a) match fitness and performance
    b) promotion/decent cup run

So give him what he's asking for in a new contract, but part salary held back on dependent conditions.
    If he can prove fitness.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I had the same knee surgeon as Gazza. There the comparison ends.

Good lad.

Henry has not met with me since December.
    And I can think of a few other things he has in common with Gazza ...
    ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I had the same knee surgeon as Gazza. There the comparison ends.

Good lad.

Henry has not met with me since December.
    And I can think of a few other things he has in common with Gazza ...
    ;-)

Football ability No

mental illness No

Wife beater No

No, nothing much is common
  • Fortune to win Sheffield United contract

Read this in some rag over the shoulder of a tourist this morning on the tube. Gutted.
  • On the face of it considering we have been paying him a premiership wage for a good few years, despite his average performances and injuries presiding over our two relegations, in my book he does owe us for that.
  • I know it's just me hoping that he's staying but Sheff Utd had their open day today, complete with triallists, and their was no sign of Jon Fortune. Would love him to stay but i suppose like a lot of things we have to wait and see.
  • Don't see what all the fuss is about. Never rated the fella, and still don't.
    Costa made him look good for a brief spell, but thats about it.
  • Just to cheer you all up. From that Sheffield paper, link above:

"With Charlton keen to do business after being relegated to League One, unrealistic wage demands are likely to be the only obstacle to overcome and there is no indication that the player or his agent are playing hard-ball."

Well, bollux.
    Big loss.