Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England under 21's - Gutted

Semi final v Sweden, Friday, K.O. 5pm gonna miss most, if not all of the game.

Comments

• Anyone see the Scottish kid that played for England Monday, looked quite good. Think he plays for Hearts at the minute.
  • And the final is on a monday night, strange scheduling. Why not bring it all forward a day and have the final on a sunday?
  • Sweden...something of a bogey side to us at all levels of competition.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Semi final v Sweden, Friday, K.O. 5pm gonna miss most, if not all of the game.

Cheers for the heads up, I hadn't realised it was an early one....I forsee a 'working from home' afternoon for me !!
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Anyone see the Scottish kid that played for England Monday, looked quite good. Think he plays for Hearts at the minute.

Driver, born in England to English parents, moved to Scotland when he was 12, plays for Hearts.
  • He's Scottish like Ryan Giggs is English, then.

Did look good though.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Anyone see the Scottish kid that played for England Monday, looked quite good. Think he plays for Hearts at the minute.

Driver, born in England to English parents, moved to Scotland when he was 12, plays for Hearts.

I was reading that even though he's played for the England u-21's he still wants to play for the Scottish full team, strange lad.
  • Got a source for that?

He can't play for Scotland, in the same way as Giggs could never play for England despite the endless rumblings of a number of idiot pundits. There's strict agreements (much stricter than the rules that FIFA operate to govern eligibility) between the home nations and players can't just pick the country that they fancy the most. Like Giggs he played schoolboy football for the country he is resident in, but can only represent the country of his birth, internationally.

Plus he's represented England in a competitive tournament, now.

I suppose you have to have dreams.
  • edited June 2009
    Driver

As you say he can't represent Scotland, but it looks like they're trying to get the rules changed so that he can.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Got a source for that?

He can't play for Scotland, in the same way as Giggs could never play for England despite the endless rumblings of a number of idiot pundits. There's strict agreements (much stricter than the rules that FIFA operate to govern eligibility) between the home nations and players can't just pick the country that they fancy the most. Like Giggs he played schoolboy football for the country he is resident in, but can only represent the country of his birth, internationally.

Plus he's represented England in a competitive tournament, now.

I suppose you have to have dreams.

And Giggs' father was Welsh, Drivers parents are both English, raised in Oldham and moved to Scotland because of his dads job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vinny Jones only played for Wales after Ireland turned him down.

Jones The Hack
  • edited June 2009
    Ireland (Rep) did not turn him down, he just wasn't Irish!
  • [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Ireland (South) did not turn him down, he just wasn't Irish!

That never stopped Mcgeady :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Ireland (Rep) did not turn him down, he just wasn't Irish!
    Not normally an issue.
  • edited June 2009
    Who was it that played for Ireland despite knowing that his dad/mum was only a step parent and so didn't qualify to play for them?
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Who was it that played for Ireland despite knowing that his dad/mum was only a step parent and so didn't qualify to play for them?

Take your pick, I once flew into Dublin for a conference, apparently I now qualify!
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Driver

As you say he can't represent Scotland, but it looks like they're trying to get the rules changed so that he can.

Cheers Plaaayer. That's mad. But I guess it was from March, so now he's played for England all bets are off.

Can't see why a) if he had the England option and b) a lot of Scots would whine about it why he'd want to to be honest.
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Who was it that played for Ireland despite knowing that his dad/mum was only a step parent and so did qualify to play for them?
    I know Cascarino had no Irish in him at all but still turned out for them for about ten years...
  • during the italy-belarus game over the top of the commentary there was some italian supporter in the crowd yelling into a megaphone. more than a little irritating.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Driver

Cheers Plaaayer. That's mad. But I guess it was from March, so now he's played for England all bets are off.

Can't see why a) if he had the England option and b) a lot of Scots would whine about it why he'd want to to be honest.
    Possibly easier option and more chance of a guaranteed international career, bigger fish in a smaller pond etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's not Irish

Cheers Leroy, just found the article about it. It seems he qualified throught his Grandfather, but didn't find out till the Grandfather was on his deathbed that it wasn't a blood relative.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Who was it that played for Ireland despite knowing that his dad/mum was only a step parent and so did qualify to play for them?
    I know Cascarino had no Irish in him at all but still turned out for them for about ten years...
    That was Cas. I don't think he knew when he started playing for RoI then. but later found out.
  • bugger me as well. Might get home for thelast 20 minutes
  • I once owned an Irish Setter...would I qualify?
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Who was it that played for Ireland despite knowing that his dad/mum was only a step parent and so didn't qualify to play for them?

Definetly Cas.
    Even bought it up with Jack Charlton before playing for them, Jack said "don't worry about it lad"
    He didn't.
  • Wasn't this game meant to be on Setanta ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Who was it that played for Ireland despite knowing that his dad/mum was only a step parent and so didn't qualify to play for them?

Definetly Cas.
    Even bought it up with Jack Charlton before playing for them, Jack said "don't worry about it lad"
    He didn't.

That's not true at all. Read Cascarino's excellent auto-biography for the real story, he only found out that his Mum was adopted in 1996 and he started to play for Ireland in about 1986 before he even joined the Spanners.

When the truth emerged he DID carry on playing for Ireland after talking with management, I am not sure it was Charlton though, it may have been Mick McCarthy. The general consensus was that he had played for Ireland for 10 years so it was a bit late to make any difference if he stopped playing now.

Mind you, there have probably been more spurious cases than Cascarino.
  • Tony Cascarino was supposed to be joining Charlton from Gillingham back in our 80's top flight days, but we signed Andy Jones from Port Vale instead - and Cas went to Millwall.

Just supposing he had signed for Charlton....... ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Tony Cascarino was supposed to be joining Charlton from Gillingham back in our 80's top flight days, but we signed Andy Jones from Port Vale instead - and Cas went to Millwall.

Just supposing he had signed for Charlton....... ?

The version heard was that Gillingham wanted £250K, we offered slightly less and Millwall met their offer.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Who was it that played for Ireland despite knowing that his dad/mum was only a step parent and so didn't qualify to play for them?

Definetly Cas.
    He didn't.

That's not true at all. Read Cascarino's excellent auto-biography for the real story, he only found out that his Mum was adopted in 1996 and he started to play for Ireland in about 1986 before he even joined the Spanners.

When the truth emerged he DID carry on playing for Ireland after talking with management, I am not sure it was Charlton though, it may have been Mick McCarthy. The general consensus was that he had played for Ireland for 10 years so it was a bit late to make any difference if he stopped playing now.

Mind you, there have probably been more spurious cases than Cascarino.

Like Clinton Morrison for example?