Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

British and Irish Lions

Can't wait, tomorrow is going to be a storming game

Comments

• C'mon South Africa
  • You reckon you'll get to see any of it? You will have to contend with the romford muppet pouring beer all over you.
  • have seen every warm up game and looking forward to it.

Sadly i fear they will prove to strong and too sharp at the breakdown for us, but should be a good battle.

Don't think we'll see much of an expansive game though, all about the BOSH this one !
  • I fancy the Lions to sneak it tomorrow
    definitely working backing with the handicap IMO
  • I reckon the Lions will win tomorrow but get battered in Pretoria. That will leave it all up to the Joburg test - which could go either way. If the Lions lose tomorrow, they'll lose the series 3-0. I just hope they give a good account of themselves - whatever happens it should be awesome.
  • After suffering watching them in NZ four years ago I really hope they put up more of a fight at least but I reckon it'll probably be tight but SA have to be favourites I'd say.
  • Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Schalk Burger being out is a massive boost for the Lions, as they are not at their strongest around the fringes. For me the Lions are struggling in their 2nd row and although Mike Phillips is strong he's not mobile enough for me.

SA to win by 10-12 points.

Henry, you're strange.
  • McGeechan deserves credit for going with the side most likely to win against the Boks. He's avoided the trap of picking the biggest and most aggressive players up front and will instead rely upon a faster game and try to get the ball out wide quicker. Nathan Hines would have been a liability in my book. As a fiercely patriotic Scot I am disappointed that there isn't one of my countrymen in the line-up but I would only have picked the injured Murray. Blair's not good enough and Hines should only be used from the bench if we're desperate. Chris Paterson should have been taken along. He's versatile and no-one there can match his kicking.
  • Off to Perry's bar to watch it. Last night was a small night.

Perry, hope you've restocked - we're coming again mate!
  • oh well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched it while moving my new housemate in today we were pretty poor first half but were unlucky in the end. Sith Ifricar were a class act though
  • No rugby expert but when the Lions had the ball they looked pretty dangerous and should have had more than the 3 tries scored but the main problem seemed to be we were outdone in the first half particularly physically by the South Africans.

I know SA took players off but the final 20 mins proved the Lions have the quality and desire to fightback so if that can be repeated over 80 mins next week then there is a decent chance the series will be level.
  • South Africa - Accent is a little like New Zealand but a little more menacing.
  • The most telling thing is that we didn't make them miss Burger - I was hoping they'd make that count in the first half but it just didn't happen. Agree they looked dangerous when they had the ball, but the tone for that first half was set when they lost that first line-out. South Africa ARE an awesome side though - how good is that prop Mtawarira? 'Beast' is right!
  • the Beast absolutely destroyyed Phil Vickery to the point i don't think you'll see him again in the test team. Adam Jones fared a bit better but was amazed SA took the beast off.

Lions should have won it really we created more chances and good defending and bad finishing spared the Boks. O'Driscoll and jamie roberts were fantastic.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]the Beast absolutely destroyyed Phil Vickery to the point i don't think you'll see him again in the test team. Adam Jones fared a bit better but was amazed SA took the beast off.

Lions should have won it really we created more chances and good defending and bad finishing spared the Boks. O'Driscoll and jamie roberts were fantastic.

Have to agreed with all of this.
    The ref should have given a yellow card when SA kept giving away pens or given a penalty try
  • The problem for me was that the Jaapies were so much bigger, stronger and faster up front and they just battered us so we could not get any decent field position until late in the game.

That Jaapie full-back is an absolute monster as well, his return kicks were massive and he was physically huge as well.

Good comeback by the Lions but it would have been an outrageous win if they had pulled it off.

On the bright side though we did look like scoring trys on the rare occasions we got the ball in their 22 so if we can match it better up front next time out then we could win - we are heading to the high country now though.
  • hark at all you lot talking about what happened at the breakdown yardie yardie yardie, any of you play the game ;-).
    Mind you gotta agree with a lot said,but I wonder what proper rugby people would make of us lot giving our expert opinion LOL
  • Not really into "Rug-by" but.....................
    South African got a yellow card 32 seconds in and went off the pitch.
    Thought that was after a RedCard.
    0-0
  • 3-0 lions.
    A penalty by Jones.
    2mins 32secs.
  • Sponsored links:

• 3 mins 50.
    Punch-up.
    "South Africa rattled" aparently.
  • 5min 40.
    They keep kicking the ball backwards & forwards

Oh, Lions score a TRY !
  • 10-0 to the Lions............
  • How Burger didn't get a red card i'll never know. Think the ref wanted to see Fitzgerald's eye on the field!
  • SA score a try:
    12mins 10 secs.

missed the con.

10-5.
  • 13-5, another pen.
    15 mins.
  • 37 mins

16-5 Lions.
  • Very good 1st half.

South Africa lucky not to be down to 14 men after a minute for the whole match rather than 10 mins.
  • I enjoyed that !!

Half-time:
    Lions 16-8 up.
  • 50 mins gone:
    Still 16-8.

2 Questions:

1). Why does the referee point the wrong way for penalties &
    2). Can't we nick the idea of treatment being given to "injured" players whilst the game carries on..It'll stop players "Diving".