Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Empire of Cricket

Anyone watching this series on BBC2 on Sunday nights? I watched the first one about England but have just refreshed my memory in episodes 2 and 3 who look at West Indies and Australia. A must for any cricket fan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=empire%20of%20cricket

Comments

• Missed the one about England but saw the other two,a very good programme indeed.
  • edited June 2009
    Thank goodness for BBC iPlayer!!! Apparently it's India next Sunday.
  • Just watched the first one, quality prog that nice one Spankie. Will watch the other 2 later today.
  • Yeah - excellent programme. The one on England was superb - as was the West Indies one last week. I'm going to watch this weekend's one on the iPlayer - this is the sort of thing that makes the license fee worthwhile.
  • I saw the Australian one last night, very good. I especially liked the non-cricket stuff about Australia lacking a national identity and the political changes in the 1970s, it goes some way to explaining why they have something against the pomms, especially when it relates to sport.

It was also good of Shane Warne to reveal his secrets, the trick is to hold it loose and to be relaxed. Cheers for that one Warney!
  • Been watching from the start, great stuff!
  • great to see some footage of games in the 60's & 70's - especially against the Windies in '76...........the outfield resembled straw due to the long hot summer.
  • Agree with all the comments above. Must see viewing for any sports fan even if you're not really into your cricket.
  • Yes i have watchewd all the epsisodes so far, when of the best sports documenteries of recent years. Last nights programme about Australia just great, shows how seriously they take sport and cricket in particular. Also how their sports stars seem to be just regular blokes, even after they become famous.
  • I had to laugh at Steve Waugh describing the handbags that went on and hoping Richie Richardson would step in and save him.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]I had to laugh at Steve Waugh describing the handbags that went on and hoping Richie Richardson would step in and save him.[/quote]

Well he was silly enough to have a pop at a bloke the size of Curtley Ambrose!!!

I agree with the above statements that the documents seem to intertwine the countries' (esp WI and Aus) social and political pasts with the development of the game in that country. I liked it when they had Australia winning in West Indies in 1995 and that signified the change of power in world cricket.
    Also loved the coverage of the 1981 Headingly Ashes Test, still amazes me Botham's 149 not out and Willis' 8-43. Wish I had been older than 3 at the time to remember it!!!
  • Just watched the other 2, awesome stuff particulally enjoyed the windies one, there is somethimg about the history of the west indies cricket that utterly fascinates me, some of crickets all time greats have been west indian, richards, sobers, holding, marshall to name but a few. I have this fascination myself about fast bowling, some of the best sporting moments i have witnessed have been a fast bowler growling into a top notch batsmen, the one with Ambrose i remember well, as this about the time i got hooked on cricket, i loved the attack of ambrose walsh bishop, it was amazing to watch.

I will say this tho, the absolute best i have seen tho is last year, with Flintoff and Kallis going at it, man thats a wonderful passage of play, that i absolutely loved, 2 top class all rounders going at it, and freddie bowling some serious balls, outswing 90mph, outswing 90mph etc etc then the inswinger at 90mph to rattle his his off stump into a cartwheel!! Awesome. I love fast bowling, and thank the windies trio of ambrose walsh and bishop for this. Cant wait for the next cricket empire.
  • I prefer spin bowling myself, there's more of an art to it than fast bowling which is more to do with the bowlers strength & aim. I use to love watching Warne bowl, unless he was playing us!
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I prefer spin bowling myself, there's more of an art to it than fast bowling which is more to do with the bowlers strength & aim. I use to love watching Warne bowl, unless he was playing us!

There's a place for both IMO. As MCS says there's just something about a truly fast bowler at the top of his game coming in and unleashing an unplayable ball or digging it in short to rough the oppo up. But Warne was indeed unbelievable at times and almost a throwback to the Botham days with his attitude and confidence. Going back to the programme I agree that Warne almost singlehandly saved spin.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I prefer spin bowling myself, there's more of an art to it than fast bowling which is more to do with the bowlers strength & aim. I use to love watching Warne bowl, unless he was playing us!

There's a place for both IMO. As MCS says there's just something about a truly fast bowler at the top of his game coming in and unleashing an unplayable ball or digging it in short to rough the oppo up. But Warne was indeed unbelievable at times and almost a throwback to the Botham days with his attitude and confidence. Going back to the programme I agree that Warne almost singlehandly saved spin.

And the amazing thing with Warnie was that there really was no magic secret, he flourished because he had unbelievable self confidence and just kept on going no matter who he was bowling against.

In addition, he was never a big trainer (surprise) or net bowler either he bowled his way into form in matches and by a freak natural talent for bowling leg-spin that very, very few have.

You only realise how good Warne was when you see other leggies bowling and getting spanked around (especially Ian Salisbury) whereas Warnie could land it on a sixpence and bowled very few bad balls.

Legend and IMHO the best cricketer of all time.