Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quality albums you've 'rediscovered' recently

I've been going through my MP3 player on shuffle recently after getting piss-bored with the stuff I've been listening to ad infinitum in recent months. Turned up these gems from the distant past (well, 20-odd years ago):

Pearl Jam - Ten
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Anyone else got any?

Comments

• Mine are a bit older......

There has been some superb programmes on Radio 2/6 lately about The Producers....
    From 10CC
    1974: Sheet Music
    1975: The Original Soundtrack
    1976: How Dare You!

Neil Sedaka - Solitare
    Donald Fagan - The Nightfly
    Christopher Cross - Sailing
  • I bought "Ten" again recently as couldn't find my old one and wanted to put it on my MP3. Absolutely bloody brilliant album from start to finish.

Played "Do it yourself" by The Seahorses the other day and was really impressed - even though I remember liking it at the time (Soz Leroy, bit tame for you I know!)

Then, of course, there's "The Real Thing" by the legendary FNM. Awesome to dig that one out every once in a while.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I bought "Ten" again recently as couldn't find my old one and wanted to put it on my MP3. Absolutely bloody brilliant album from start to finish.

Played "Do it yourself" by The Seahorses the other day and was really impressed - even though I remember liking it at the time (Soz Leroy, bit tame for you I know!)

Then, of course, there's "The Real Thing" by the legendary FNM. Awesome to dig that one out every once in a while.
    Yeah - never really liked The Seahorses. Absolutely love Puressence - though they're not that similar a lot of people used to lump them together.

The Real Thing is absolute genius - but I still prefer Angel Dust. Can't wait to see them at Download - the wife never saw them back in the day so she's salivating at the prospect!
  • Sorry Leroy, but good as it is Angel Dust is like listening to Agadoo on a loop compared to The Real Thing - and I like Angel Dust.

Was listening to Johnny Cash's version of "Rusty Cage" earlier. Maybe I'm getting old, but I actually think I like it better than the original now!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Sorry Leroy, but good as it is Angel Dust is like listening to Agadoo on a loop compared to The Real Thing - and I like Angel Dust.

Was listening to Johnny Cash's version of "Rusty Cage" earlier. Maybe I'm getting old, but I actually think I like it better than the original now!
    LOL - nice analogy! Angel Dust will always be in my top five for Caffeine, Malpractice, Jizzlobber and Crack Hitler alone. That tour was Absolutely. F***ing. Awesome.

You heard the Cash version of Nine Inch Nails' 'Hurt'? Now THAT is a cover
  • But "From out of Nowhere", "Zombie Eaters" and "Epic" pish all over that - and I love "Caffeine" too.

Cash's version of "Hurt" is brilliant - but when you wach the video as well it just becomes something else. Very, very moving.
  • Is 'Jesus Christ Pose', on BadMotorFinger? That's a blistering track?
    'Damned, Damned, Damned', makes me want to pogo but my dodgy back says no!
  • The Charlatans - Tellin Stories, still their finest work. Found the CD earlier in the week and it's had a rinsing.
  • Recently dug out my copy of Hunky Dory, One of Bowies most under rated albums.

have been giving Van Halen 1 and Van Halen 2 a spin too.
  • Alex, you old hippy ;-)

Must admit I've been on a bit of a Marillion (post Fish) trip recently, dug out Brave and finally got it, so downloaded all of their recent stuff and have been absolutely hooked. Great melodic rock.

Also been listening to some early Rush, farewell to kings and 2112.
  • Sponsored links:

• The 1st 2 Wire albums.....
    Gang of 4 & The Redskins (Reds strike the blues......)
  • New Order - Movement (used to consider a lesser album than the next three, no more, it is class - especially with Temptation 7" and an alternate version of Ceremony tucked on the end)
    Wire - Pink Flags + Chairs Missing
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I bought "Ten" again recently as couldn't find my old one and wanted to put it on my MP3. Absolutely bloody brilliant album from start to finish.

I remember when i bought "Ten" from Shades records in soho on US import when they came in those elongated cardboard boxes..alas both Shades and my copy of "Ten" have long since gone :(
  • Stephen Stills album circa 1970 called.......... Stephen Stills......One track inparticular..."Go back Home"....awesome.
  • Aztec Camera High land, hard rain and Roddy Frame Surf.

Saw a Roddy Frame and Edwyn Collins album "preaching to the converted". Think it might be a bootleg. Anyone heard it before I buy.

Also the last Roddy Frame solo album Western Skies. Is it any good
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Aztec Camera High land, hard rain and Roddy Frame Surf.

Saw a Roddy Frame and Edwyn Collins album "preaching to the converted". Think it might be a bootleg. Anyone heard it before I buy.

HLHR is one of my all time favourites, as you'll know by now Henry! Surf is also surprisingly good, haven't heard any of his other solo stuff though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Aztec Camera High land, hard rain and Roddy Frame Surf.

HLHR is one of my all time favourites, as you'll know by now Henry! Surf is also surprisingly good, haven't heard any of his other solo stuff though.

Really like Surf but missed Western Skies release completely (I blame Uncut magazine).

Roddy is a true genius.
  • Kate and Anna MaGarrigal....first LP
  • The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
    The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Derek & Clive - Come Again
    Derek & Clive - Ad Nauseum

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Read my mind!
  • Sponsored links:

• I have recently rediscovered 'If you want Blood, You've got it (Live)' - AC/DC. That album still rocks.
  • Blade - Survial of the hardest working
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Alex, you old hippy ;-)

Must admit I've been on a bit of a Marillion (post Fish) trip recently, dug out Brave and finally got it, so downloaded all of their recent stuff and have been absolutely hooked. Great melodic rock.

I often dig out a Rush every now and again and take a trip down memory lane - anything pre Grace Under Pressure predates me but I lovetheir entire back catalog.

I dug out all the Marillions with Fish (pure genius) a few months back. Season's End was the only post-Fish album I like and that gets an airing every now again, it's quite special to me and the missus, it's very much 'our album'

I did the Pearl Jam, Ten when they did Reading a few years back and it blew me away. I bought the compilation album after that with remastered versions of the some of the Ten tracks.

Shakespeare Alabama by Diesel Park West makes an appearance every now and again. Really good album which takes akes me back to the days when GLR launched, great station. Also available in a remastered version too - very good.

Recently bought And then There Were Three on CD, another one of those albums which was very important in my fomrative years, and aslo the Genesis album.

Got me in the mood for more...!
  • Finley Quaye - You know your smile woman
  • Best of Paul Simon > have had the You can call me Al in my head for the last 3 days so had to pull it out.
    Kiss > Destroyer
    Pearl Jam > Ten
    Red Hot > One Hot Minute
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Blade - Survial of the hardest working
    More like an EP, but still awesome. I bumped into him donkeys years ago in a kebab shop in New Cross - proper, solid, down to Earth bloke he was. Talked at some lenght with him about some of the better East Coast hip-hop that was around at the time (JMT, MIC, MF Grimm, Jeru etc). Top bloke.
  • Hahaha yesterday I found a listened to the original gatecrasher series all pre 2000 (Red, Black, Wet Disco-Teche) ok so not that old but not listened to them in a good 6 or so years and OMGG how fuckn awsume had such a good day reminising of a the crazy few years of my life 16/17 - 21
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Read my mind!

LOL....funnily enough, the other half wont let me put derek & clive on in the car.

Always loved the Smiths & Morrissey, but Frankie album is one of my all time favourites, classic album, cant believe I picked it up in HMV for £3 a couple of years back.
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Alex, you old hippy ;-)

I often dig out a Rush every now and again and take a trip down memory lane - anything pre Grace Under Pressure predates me but I lovetheir entire back catalog.

I dug out all the Marillions with Fish (pure genius) a few months back. Season's End was the only post-Fish album I like and that gets an airing every now again, it's quite special to me and the missus, it's very much 'our album'

I did the Pearl Jam, Ten when they did Reading a few years back and it blew me away. I bought the compilation album after that with remastered versions of the some of the Ten tracks.

Shakespeare Alabama by Diesel Park West makes an appearance every now and again. Really good album which takes akes me back to the days when GLR launched, great station. Also available in a remastered version too - very good.

Recently bought And then There Were Three on CD, another one of those albums which was very important in my fomrative years, and aslo the Genesis album.

Got me in the mood for more...!

At last someone with some tast amongst the heathens!! ;-)

Love Marillion with Fish, but never really got the post Fish stuff with Steve Hogarth. Listened again a couple of weeks ago and it all clicked. There is some truely brilliant stuff in their recent catalogue.
  • Split - Groundhogs
    Stray - Stray (Cutout)
    What a Bunch of Sweeties - Pink Fairies
    Let it Bleed - Rolling Stones