Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Sat 3rd May 1986. Carlisle 2 Charlton 3

Saturday 3rd May 1986. Carlise United 2 (2) (Saunders 5, 23) Charlton Athletic 3 (1) (Tolmie (og) 40, Stuart 70, Aizlewood 80), Brunton Park, Att:6,526.

Carlisle: Endersby, Haigh, McCartney, Ashurst, Saunders, Halsall, Hill, Cooke, Baker, Bishop, Tolmie (Gorman 67).

Charlton: Johns, Humphrey, Reid, Lee, Thompson, Pender, Shipley, Melrose, Pearson, Aizlewood, Stuart. Unused sub: Gritt.

Referee: K Breen (Liverpool)

Away victories for both Charlton and Wimbledon ensured their respective promotion to the First Division. It was Bob Stokoe's final home match of the season and they needed a win to have any chance of avoiding the drop to division three.

Manager Lennie Lawrence and Chairmen John Fryer were chaired around Brunton Park by delighted Charlton fans at the end of the match. An estimated 2,000 made the long journey north to see this vital victory (Operation Brunton?)which meant a return to the First Division after an absence of 29 years.

Comments

• I was there, well my body was. I was so drunk, I fell asleep on the terrace for a short time. The battle of Carlisle High Street after the match soon sobered me up
  • We drove up. I parked in Godstone and go a lift from my brothers mate. We actually got back for last orders in the pub which was pretty good going.
    All a bit of a haze now, can only remember the O.G. which was unforgetable really as Tolmie lobbed his own keeper from about 40 yards as I remember.
  • Got the coach up there. Christ that was a loooooooong journey. Nearly didnt make it on time either.

Always remember cheering a team that came out after the game, thinking theywere the 1st team, only to find they were schoolkids having a match after!

Barrelload of trouble at this one too...
  • Anyone on Betty's coach that day?
    I was!
    Pre operation jinx days.
  • and one more for old times sake.
  • [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]Anyone on Betty's coach that day?
    I was!
    Pre operation jinx days.

Looking forward to the C.L.I.T trip for this one. If we get these boys away last day of the season, then will book my flight.
  • I was there too. Made the coach trip. Best own goal I ever saw in that match. The result and manner of that victory for me are in the same league as the play off final and the 2 - 0 victory at the den in the snow.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I was there too. Made the coach trip. Best own goal I ever saw in that match. The result and manner of that victory for me are in the same league as the play off final and the 2 - 0 victory at the den in the snow.

For me too. My all time favourite away day - Play Off Final not included.
  • I drove Big William and the rest of the 'bags' up for this one.

Our promised helicopter ride never did work out.
  • I wasn't even born

But wish i had been
  • Sponsored links:

• I think 2000 travelling was abit of an exageration....5 official coaches on the day, Ive still got the photos somewhere...Ive often recounted the tail of one lad sleeping flat out on the terrace......I wonder if that was you Mr McMoist? I was 26 a few days after this....seems like yesterday...anyone remember the coach full of girlies as we approached Birmingham?
  • edited May 2009
    We did the train up, sadly it was dry on the way back. I would say more like 1,200 there. I was 19.... blimey, can't believe that!
  • 1000 to 1500 max.....remember running over the pitch and Carlisle giving it the verbals from the terracing...they didnt hang about though....
  • I hired a coach, on the premise that I was arranging a family wedding trip. Loaded it up with booze and the driver seemed fine and never had any doubts that the wedding was a scam. Even got the driver to take us to blackpool to celebrate for a few quid. Seem to remember the coach having to leave a bit sharpish as blackpool became a bit of a battleground with man utd fans and us.
  • edited May 2009
    got the coach up for this one 15 years old and gambling some silly card game at the back of the coach with the money for the pot being put in a wooly charlton hat ....
    remember as a youngster thinking 'we haven't brought many up here today' ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I drove Big William and the rest of the 'bags' up for this one.

Our promised helicopter ride never did work out.

Remember in the general euphoria no one thought to put petrol in the motor for the return trip? We limped into some no-horse town which looked closed for the night and a bloke said "Petrol? Next junction of the M6 if you get a move on". We just about made it , nearly had to p*** in the tank to keep it going. Happy days!
  • [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]I hired a coach, on the premise that I was arranging a family wedding trip. Loaded it up with booze and the driver seemed fine and never had any doubts that the wedding was a scam. Even got the driver to take us to blackpool to celebrate for a few quid. Seem to remember the coach having to leave a bit sharpish as blackpool became a bit of a battleground with man utd fans and us.

SD I was on that coach. Remember drinking in a pub and the landlord owned a club and told us if we went round before 10 we would all get in for free. A great day followed by a great night.
  • [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]I hired a coach, on the premise that I was arranging a family wedding trip. Loaded it up with booze and the driver seemed fine and never had any doubts that the wedding was a scam. Even got the driver to take us to blackpool to celebrate for a few quid. Seem to remember the coach having to leave a bit sharpish as blackpool became a bit of a battleground with man utd fans and us.

SD I was on that coach. Remember drinking in a pub and the landlord owned a club and told us if we went round before 10 we would all get in for free. A great day followed by a great night.

SD, that was proably my best ever day out with Charlton (apart from spending the journey home puking up!)
  • That's right Southampton, they were having a masons meeting in the room at the back and said if we cut the singing out, we could get in his club gratis. He was good to his word, though me and a mate ended up losing everyone and not finding the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• I should have a stack load of piccy's of this one somewhere....

See if I can't dig them out....

Not sure if there's a crime of being drunk in charge of an eleven year old but if there is I was definitely guilty...

We travelled home across the Pennines on the 685 with a few Charlton supporters going to the Toon for a night out, it was quite a journey with the old bill climbing on to the bus and threatening to chuck us off at least twice...

One bloke had a piss in an empty beer can, threw it out the window only to land smack on top of a coppers car...

'You'll never take the back seat....!!!'
  • remember it well.

started off with an awful coach journey that seemed to take days. i also seem to remember a walk to the ground that took in a muddy bog? then going 2-0 down and all looked bleak and not worth the bloody journey and i was dreading the trip back. but turned out to be terrific with a great fight back and mark aizlewood scoring the winner and we all went ballistic and the long journey back was forgotten because everybody was in party mood it was fantastic. one of the best days, that i can remember.
  • edited May 2010
    i was still at school and got the coach up there,well these are the games that any self respecting fan just has to be at don't they? journey took forever.

i thought we took a fair number up there. a classic own goal scored from the centre circle put us on our way. we were kept in for a bit and was expecting the players to come back out to celebrate with us but found myself and others clapping some kids coming onto the pitch for another match - well the view wasn't great and they were in the distance coming out.bit of a cherry but what a great day.
  • File0024.jpg
    Warm Up 1
    File0028.jpg
    Warm Up 2
    File0026.jpg
    The Winning Goal
    File0027.jpg
    Onto the Pitch
    File0023.jpg
    King Lennie 1
    File0029.jpg
    King Lennie 2
    File0025.jpg
    Our lucky mascot that season, won every game we went to..
  • Got the train up with blokes called Simon, two of them were complete p1ssheads. Checked into the first hotel we saw. At about 20 to 3 we were in a pub a mile from the ground and one of them, whose birthday it was, ordered double brandies all round. Ended up getting a cab and just about making the kick-off. Every time we scored he had to ask me what the score was. Great day out, got a lock in at a pub in town centre.
  • RedZed. I wish those pictures were a bit bigger cause I'll probably recognise half the people in them.
    I tried to nick the corner flag (just the flag not the pole) but was chased off by a copper.

Happy days.
  • I'll re-scan them at a higher resolution and post a link....
  • King Lennie 2 is confusing me. Was that at Carlisle? I'm sure we were on an uncovered terrace, behind and to the side of the goal.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]King Lennie 2 is confusing me. Was that at Carlisle? I'm sure we were on an uncovered terrace, behind and to the side of the goal.

behind was uncovered and to the side was partly covered
  • Maybe next season......