Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shaun Bartlett

I'm spending in a week in sunny Cape Town working away. On TV, the pundit for the MU game was none other than Shaun Bartlett. He was both a likeable character and knowledgeable. What would we give for a forward like him now?

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Shaun...

_1331983_bartlett_goal300.gif
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]I'm spending in a week in sunny Cape Town working away. On TV, the pundit for the MU game was none other than Sean Bartlett. He was both a likeable character and knowledgeable. What would we give for a forward like him now?

Always liked him. Shame we couldn't get his international strike partner Benni McCarthy in to play alongside him.
  • edited March 2009
    What a coincidence - see my stout defence of him earlier today when somebody nominated him in the ' Charlton player you have most disliked' thread.

He gave us sterling service playing as the 1 in a 4-5-1 up against the best defences in the Prem.

Warm and delightful man, too. I remember having a long conversation with him about South African music and swapping stories about Miriam Makeba, Hugh Masekela etc. Top human being as well as a good footballer.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Shaun...

_1331983_bartlett_goal300.gif

As we're looking to have a go at the mirror today......I remember their description of that goal was "A long punt upfield by Graham Stuart volleyed in by Bartlett" That was it!! The fact Stuart took a player on first, looked up and then produced an inch perfect world class pass that if it had been done by becks would still be being played now just shows they no f+** all. Not to mention the Volley itself.

Can't be many goals scored by us clapped by the oppo fans? (Ironic ones not included)
  • Never hit the back of the net enough but what a worker. Fantastic in the air too. AND a good mate of Mandella!
  • edited March 2009
    That story about mandela phoning up to complain he wasn't invited to shaun's wedding is great.

mates with nelson
  • That has to be the greatest goal I've ever seen us score - bar none.

I'll never forget the sound as the ball left his boot - was like a cannon going off.

Happy memories.
  • edited March 2009
    Tremendous, tremendous goal. You have to be playing with stacks of confidence to play football like that - the pass and the finish. A million miles away from where we are now.

And it was back in the day when the BBC wrote proper match reports
    Bartlett stunner seals Charlton win
  • I feel a bit depressed after watching that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Full house, decent kit, top 8 premiere league team.....
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Full house, decent kit, top 8 premiere league team.....

boring tho
  • yeah only really went for the diluted beer and retarded donkey burgers.... ;-)
  • Full house, decent kit, top 8 premiere league team.....

You could almost say we were a model club! Apart from it all being so boring, of course...
  • Great goal that - the volley of the kings.
  • Bartlett typical boring Curbishley player.

We really did play rubbish back then.

What we've watched for the last 3 seasons is proper football.

Give me those Curbs times every day of the week over the crap of thelast 3 seasons!
  • take me back- that goal was right in front of me...

Makes me sad too- dansmudge..
  • Stunning goal. I used to live 3 doors from Bartlett - absolute gent. From our little conversations he loved his time with the club.
  • Ran his socks off for the cause and was always underrated. Glad to hear he's doing alright.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Great goal that - the volley of the kings.

Well, I appreciated your pun, BFR.

Maybe others are in denial ....?

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Most memorable game featuring Bartlett for me, was the 3-2 win at Spurs when he scored 2 good headers and was sent off for handball on the line. I'm not sure on the year. I'm guessing around 2003.

Those days were great and I used to get really excited about watching Charlton. The effect the current squad have had on me is criminal. I have hardly any enthusiasm for watching us anymore. Gutting really.
  • [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]Most memorable game featuring Bartlett for me, was the 3-2 win at Spurs when he scored 2 good headers and was sent off for handball on the line. I'm not sure on the year. I'm guessing around 2003.

The handball was blatant and clearly intentional. After that game he said something like 'I held my face to pretend it hit me there and not on the hand, but the ref was having none of it'. I loved his honesty!
  • I think he was one of our best players in recent years. He gave everything he had and didn't stop if things weren't going his way or the team's way. I thought he was a proper no.9 who helped all those around him.
  • Probably the best centre forward as a defender I've seen at the club. His work defending set pieces was as good as the centre halves.

Maybe should have scored more but was a quality player, possibly underrated by many fans.
  • [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]Most memorable game featuring Bartlett for me, was the 3-2 win at Spurs when he scored 2 good headers and was sent off for handball on the line. I'm not sure on the year. I'm guessing around 2003.

Those days were great and I used to get really excited about watching Charlton. The effect the current squad have had on me is criminal. I have hardly any enthusiasm for watching us anymore. Gutting really.

Curbs your enthusiasm........ ;-]
  • Mog where do u find these sites lol
  • I guess we all remember these things differently, but in my head I 'made' that goal happen (vs Leicester). As the ball came over from Stuart there was total silence from the covered end. I shouted "just hit it!" and he did. Couldn't have done it without me.... :o)

A few years later I worked with a South African bloke who reckoned Shaun was a mate of his. He showed me his phone with 'S Bartlett' on it. Reckons that Shaun used to be a centre half until one day the regular striker was injured, so Shaun played up front, scored a hat-trick and never looked back.
  • Shaun Bartlett is a host for ESPN during the World Cup in South Africa. He is doing all the pre-match / half-time / and post-game reactions from a studio position. espn3.com is streaming live games and you can get Shaun Bartletts complete viewpoint from there...