Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Taxes. How many are there?

Following on from the council tax thread, how many taxes are there that we incur on a regular basis? It's a shocker. Any I've missed?

Income Tax
Value Added Tax
Car Tax (Disc)
Council Tax
Stamp Duty
Inheritance Tax
Tax on savings

Comments

• television licence
    capital gains tax
    national insurance
  • Tax on alcohol
    Tax on cigarettes
  • edited January 2007
    congestion charging if you're daft enough to drive in...(sorry about the delay...i stuck in NIC but was too slow in posting, then started to edit it but somebody asked me a question before i could post again)...
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite].

ltgtr speechless... never thought I'd see the day! ;-)
  • Tax on Fuel
  • Airport Tax -What the F*** is that anyway ?
  • edited January 2007
    Airport tax
    Insurance Tax
    Excise duty
  • isn't inheritance tax soon to be abolished?
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]isn't inheritance tax soon to be abolished?

Only according to the Daily Mail who seem to have a vendetta against it without understanding the issue. Basically, were Inheritance Tax to be abolished then in order to make up the shortfall we would lose a number of other reliefs, most notably the total exemption from Capital Gains Tax on sale of our private homes. Anyone care to pay 40% of any profit on the sale of their house to Gordon?
  • that'd be why i heard that then. dinner with my parents at the weekend!daily mail readers
  • Sponsored links:

• Virtually all taxes, including Road Tax & TV Licence, go first to Government Treasury Funds and then a smaller sum paid out to the relevent budget - leaving the remainder to pay for bombs in Iraq or Prescott's Jags.

Think of the money saved on administration & collection if they combined many of these types of tax into just a few.

You could do away with eg Road Tax & TV Licence, save the cost of collection and administration - and raise the money needed by, say, an increase in VAT.

It wouldn't cost any more to collect VAT at 20% than it does at 17.5%.
  • I'm sure I read somewhere that if road tax was scrapped and 0.5p extra put on fuel duty to make up the difference then £3m would be saved in administration costs.
  • air and walking tax.......
  • my eyes are definitely going,thought the thread was going to be about texas!
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]my eyes are definitely going,thought the thread was going to be about texas!

LOL priceless!
  • Parking Tickets
    Speeding Fines
  • I assume they put Tax on the air pressure gadgets at Petrol stations as after all charging people for Air takes the P***. It must be another form of tax.
  • Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Climate Change Levy yet - or Landfill Tax - or the tax on Hydrocarbon oils!!

[cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]isn't inheritance tax soon to be abolished?

Only according to the Daily Mail who seem to have a vendetta against it without understanding the issue. Basically, were Inheritance Tax to be abolished then in order to make up the shortfall we would lose a number of other reliefs, most notably the total exemption from Capital Gains Tax on sale of our private homes. Anyone care to pay 40% of any profit on the sale of their house to Gordon?

I don't think that's strictly true JWA. There's no automatic corallation between CGT and IHT. It's just as possible that Income Tax or VAT would go up to make up the shortfall - although both would be less politically attractive. Fact is that every year the IHT yield goes up as it is, but clearly this doesn't mean that other taxes go down. All that happens is that there's more money in the pot for our government (of whatever persuassion) to spunk.
  • Tax on divideneds
    Tax on rental income