Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wireless internet

edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
I have got a Compaq presario M2000 laptop and I have now got SKY wireless broadband,but I think I need to get a wireless card to put into the laptop to enable the wireless facility (there is no enable wireless on/off switch) Can anyone recommend what sort of card I need - I just use laptop for general surfing - dont really download films or music etc so dont know if that means I can get a cheaper card or not.

Comments

• Just a standard broadband USB dongle from dixons/currys etc should do it
  • edited January 2009
    You can get a wireless card for the PCIMA slot as an alternative. Has it got a bluetooth enable button? I've got a HP Laptop where the bluetooth enable button also enables the wireless card.
  • i've been told i need a router (sp?) for my laptop to enable access to Virgin broadband service

any idea if this is right?
  • cheers - think will get a card for the pcima slot. Dont have bluetooth enable, the laptop is about 5-6 years old.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]i've been told i need a router (sp?) for my laptop to enable access to Virgin broadband service

any idea if this is right?

Yes you need a router, if you want to go wireless. If you have a cat 5 cable you can plug it into both you virgin modem and your laptop. Depending on what package you have from virign, you can get a free router from them.
  • Help im an idiot..................ive just got a new laptop as other half hogs the one we got so sat down last night to set up and tried to wifi it but guess what asks for a password to link to my wifi ive tried all the norm cafc redrobin etc but no good.....no is there anyway i can find the password or get round it......a Luddite
  • Theres probably a long series of letters and numbers on the back of your router, it will be one of these.
  • Cheers ill try that
  • [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]Help im an idiot..................ive just got a new laptop as other half hogs the one we got so sat down last night to set up and tried to wifi it but guess what asks for a password to link to my wifi ive tried all the norm cafc redrobin etc but no good.....no is there anyway i can find the password or get round it......a Luddite

You need to go to the router web address which will be printed on it. (somthing like 198.160.01.01) then go to password section. When you get it going, save all the details to a file, so you got them if you need them.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I have got a Compaq presario M2000 laptop and I have now got SKY wireless broadband,but I think I need to get a wireless card to put into the laptop to enable the wireless facility (there is no enable wireless on/off switch) Can anyone recommend what sort of card I need - I just use laptop for general surfing - dont really download films or music etc so dont know if that means I can get a cheaper card or not.

The Dongle will work I have one pretty average to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]Help im an idiot..................

Very impressed you've said that and removed all doubt.

;o)
  • Ended up getting a Belkin wireless card, and the wireless is now fine.

Cheers all.