Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Snow

edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
Do you really think we are going to get some significant snow on Sunday night/Monday morning or do you think that the Met just overblow everything since their cock-up in '87 just to cover their arses?

Comments

• Funny you should mention '87 CR: on the strength of their forecast and a light dusting of snow that day I went out and bought my kids 2 new sledges. It never happened and the sledges have never been used: the 'kids' are now 31 and 29! The sledges are in the loft (I think) and I'm buggered if I'm clambering around up there on the strength of another dodgy forecast!
  • Sorry I was talking about the Michael Fish Hurricaine fiasco......
  • Aha! I was in January mode, not October! So there were 2 cock-ups that year, I hadn't realised that before. Even more reason to doubt them!
  • edited January 2009
    This happened last May here, the day before it was 20C & not a drop of snow anywhere in sight, then the sky darkened in the East........

My car is under there somewhere!!
  • Nice one, Oakster.

And to think I moan about the weather in Cornwall.

;o)
  • the kids loved it!
  • So did mine when they were tiny.

Now they moan about scraping the frost from their own car windscreens on chilly mornings.
    You just can't please them.

;o)
  • Sunday lunchtime and snow falling heavily and settling fast down here on the Kent/Sussex border...
  • took the kids out for a walk round the lake a bluewater in a snowstorm at midday, they loved it. Was just the thing to clear their heads after finding out their grandad died on Friday night. It has all cleared now though
  • edited February 2009
    Well definitely settling down here in more rural parts.

can see a field full of sheep from my window as I type and apart from their black faces, it is now very hard to tell what is field and what is sheep...

Time to spread those WW2 army blankets on the pitch at the Valley again, I reckon!
  • Sponsored links:

• Am exiled in west London today, where there was a little flurry, then it stopped. Feh.
  • Little flurry in Eltham and now the sun is out.
  • Here in the west West Country it's grey and dry with a bitter wind-chill.

Forecast for Bristol far away up-country, light snow on Tuesday.
  • All seems to be pretty clear in Kuala Lumpur today. Just a small cloud hovering in the distance
  • No sign at Shooters Hill at the moment.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]No sign at Shooters Hill at the moment.

I always wondered where you lived Guru ....?

;o)
  • Was coming down quick thick in Bromley and the wind was really blowing but stopped very quickly. Freezing cold out I know that.

All you scientists out there.

"it's too cold to snow" Myth or reality?
  • Myth. Fact Locked on.
  • Depends on humidity surely ... ?
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Myth. Fact Locked on.

Seems the obvious answer to me as it snows in Russia etc when very cold but what's the basis of that? Genuine question

[cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Depends on humidity surely ... ?

How so?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2009
    I dunno, I'm the artist not the scientist, lol

That's your job ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Myth. Fact Locked on.

Definite myth. Otherwise it would never snow at the south pole!
  • If the low altitude air temperature is low enough for water to freeze then what falls is snow.
  • Snow down here in Maidstone it's been at it since midday with a short break for sunshine :-)
    It's snowing again now and settling.
    If we do get the lot theyreckon we will tonight and early morning then rush hour will be interesting.....
  • You can tell it's a Sunday afternoon - and we're all too burned out to argue the toss about Charlton.

Getting excited about snow, lol

;o)
  • I work in Maidstone so if its bad tomorrow getting to and from work will be a real pain.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]You can tell it's a Sunday afternoon - and we're all too burned out to argue the toss about Charlton.

;o)

I love it when it snows. Bit of a bummer that it fooks all the trains up - but that's a price worth paying I reckon to be able to build snowmen in the garden with the kids.
  • Well shooters I live in a road that is never gritted so think it will be fun and games tomo. If it's too bad well it will be a snowball fight and no to work at this end!
    Sounds ok to me......;-)
  • Met office are predicting it'll be the worst since 2003 - if I was in Kent I wouldn't be expecting to get to work tomorrow.

I've got a cab due to pick me up from Charlton at 5.40am to get to the other side of London - that's going to be interesting!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]You can tell it's a Sunday afternoon - and we're all too burned out to argue the toss about Charlton.

;o)

I love it when it snows. Bit of a bummer that it fooks all the trains up - but that's a price worth paying I reckon to be able to build snowmen in the garden with the kids.

Ah, yes Offy. Building snowmen with your kids and how excited they get!
    I guess we're all still kids at heart really, lol