Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New band from Dartford

edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
Anybody come across a new band from Dartford called The Rapscallions?

They've just sent me for review their debut four track EP called Suck (out on their own label on March 2) and it's really rather good. A kind of cockney/south London rock with much wit and humour and a fairly raucous sound. (song titles include Great Swines Drink Alike and Revolting Bar Stewards). Reminded me in places of Squeeze.

Don't know if they're Charlton supporters but with Michael Nyman and Pete Doherty collaborating on a new QPR song, I reckon these lads could come up with something that was a vast improvement on The Red Red Robin (although Difford & Tillbrook would be even better,of course...)

Has anybody seen them live on what is left of the south London/north-west Kent live music circuit?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Anybody come across a new band from Dartford called The Rapscallions?

They've just sent me for review their debut four track EP called Suck (out on their own label on March 2) and it's really rather good. A kind of cockney/south London rock with much wit and humour and a fairly raucous sound. (song titles include Great Swines Drink Alike and Revolting Bar Stewards). Reminded me in places of Squeeze.

Don't know if they're Charlton supporters but with Michael Nyman and Pete Doherty collaborating on a new QPR song, I reckon these lads could come up with something that was a vast improvement on The Red Red Robin (although Difford & Tillbrook would be even better,of course...)

Has anybody seen them live on what is left of the south London/north-west Kent live music circuit?

Nigel,

a longstanding fan like you should know Red, Red Robin is sacred!

That is all.
  • edited January 2009
    Never liked TRRR, Len. It has always reminded me of Sat evenings in the early 60s watching the ghastly Billy Cotton Band Show on tv (younger fans can count themselves lucky!)

But no reason why we couldn't have a more contemporary song in tandem with the not-so-classic old classic?

Anyway, it was only a throw-away line. Don't even know if these lads are Charlton. Only that they're local and rather good...
  • Haven't seen them live nigel, but heard them on xfm and thought they were good.

Dont know if they are charlton, although it was on dave berry's drive time show if i remember right and he's charlton, also the sports reporter is palace and they have some good verbal when he does the footy reports!!
    Berry always sticks up for our club (good lad)

Up the berry!!
  • Not sure who their allegiances are with but here's their myspace site

The Rapscallions
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Never liked TRRR, Len. It has always reminded me of Sat evenings in the early 60s watching the ghastly Billy Cotton Band Show on tv (younger fans can count themselves lucky!)

But no reason why we couldn't have a more contemporary song in tandem with the not-so-classic old classic?

Anyway, it was only a throw-away line. Don't even know if these lads are Charlton. Only that they're local and rather good...

Nobody, on here come up with a Red Red Robin re-mix - Ketters, perhaps ..... ?????
  • edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Anybody come across a new band from Dartford called The Rapscallions?

Heard of them on the 'circuit'(so to speak) & bits by them, not seen them though. Not bad at what they do, but much prefer the ska & rockabilly elements of their sound, rather than the straight out indie aspect of them, which has been bludgeoned to death by thousands of sound-a-like bands over the last few years.

So, I'm guessing you write for a magazine/fanzine/online musical publication then? If so, may I ask what one?

& also, may I ask, can I present you with a shameless bit of self(well, my band)promotion? :-)

(PS: I'm a full fledged Addick, & I'd love a crack at penning a 'Charlton Anthem'! ;-)
  • Love to hear your band, Stefco. And in answer to your question, contributing editor at Uncut , freelance contract with The Times (after ten years on staff there) , plus regular contributor to Observer Music Monthly and The Independent. Also a UK correspondent for Billboard. So wíthout making any promises, if your lot are any good, I''m sure there's somewhere I can write about you !
  • Blimey! You are in the upper echelons of the journalist world! :-D A truly gracious reply good sir, thank you very much, & for your time & ears!

The band name is Victory Red(named in July of '08, with an additional hope it might bring good luck to the Addicks-Doh! to that one!:-) We have been together since April '07(we had a different name & vocalist prior to that), & we've been creating what we feel is quite a 'unique' sound. We've gigged a few times, & have done a Kerang Radio unsigned & acoustic show, though our appearances have been limited due to really bad luck with injuries to 4/5 of us, since we've been together. However, we've overcome the obstacles to a degree & are currently recording what will become our debut album & introduction 'proper', somewhat, to the musical world.

We have self-recorded demos up on our Myspace page, not the best sound quality, but not a bad representation.

www.myspace.com/victoryredtheband

We have some live videos up on our Youtube page(the Bull & Gate gig has the best audio quality)

www.youtube.com/victoryredtheband

We also have additional music on our friend Robs' youtube film blog

www.youtube.com/user/thelonefilmmaker

Thanks again for your reply Nigel. I hope you enjoy the music. If not, please be honest, always good to get feedback, be it positive or negative. :-)

Stef