Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top Five Songs of...... The Wailers

All the way from Trenchtown, Jamaica..

5. No Woman, No Cry (live)

4. Small Axe "If you are a big tree, we are a small axe" should be a banner at the Valley

3. Trenchtown Rock "One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain"

2. Stir it Up - Sexiest song EVER

1. Redemption Song (acoustic) "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds"

Comments

• Six great songs - I can't decide which one I'd drop to make five...

Get Up, Stand Up - (Get up stand up, stand up for your rights. Get up stand up, dont give up the fight)

Blackheart Man

Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)

We and Dem

I Shot the Sheriff

Buffalo Soldier
  • "it takes a joyfull sound to make the World go round"
  • Jammin

Three little birds

Easy skanking

No woman no cry

Redemption song
  • Just please give it a rest, or at least offer Girls Aloud or Steps.
  • edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Just please give it a rest, or at least offer Girls Aloud or Steps.

I have another 212 acts lined up at the rate of one a week and none of them are Girls Aloud or Steps.

I have a contract to deliver 375 non-football related posts at the rate of £50 a time and I'm going to deliver. If only people would die quicker I could use the good old RIP threads but as a fill in there is always the Top Fives.

Thanks for posting as I only get paid if we reach 5 posts so quids in.
  • even if the 5th is yours?
  • [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]even if the 5th is yours?

No, has to be four other posters for me to get paid so Chirpy just made me half a ton. nice one,
  • Small axe
    Lively up yourself
    Soultown
    Waiting in vain
  • Obligatory reggae joke:

Q: How does Bob Marley like his doughnuts?

A: We're jammin...
  • Can't just pick 5 Bob & the Wailers songs it is actually impossible.

BFR I punched my girl in the vagina in McDonalds for saying that*

*I didn't but I should have
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I allowed to have 'It Hurts To Be Alone' if it was sung by Junior Braithwaite with Bob on backing?
  • None

Not my cup of tea
  • You can't just name 5 .......!

No Woman no Cry

Kaya

Redemption Song

Is this Love

Jammin'

One Love

Could you be Loved

Trenchtown Rock

Stir it up

Loads more, I know I can't count ..... love it all, such happy sunshiny music.
  • Just thought ..... I recently read Rita Marley's autobiog, "No Woman, No Cry", ghost written of course, but quite a good read.

Tells her own story of growing up in Trenchtown, being Bob's wife and soul mate, performing with him, and spills the beans from the inside.

Probably available on Amazon - and all good bookshops, if there are any still left.
  • edited January 2009
    DId you know at his funeral they had a problem burying him?...........

The coffin lid kept Jammin'

coat please!!
  • No woman no cry

Redemption Song

Jammin

Stir it up

Trenchtown Rock
  • have been having a Marley-fest since I read this thread yesterday...

not sure if I can come up with a top 5 though

- War got me going...

- Coming in from the Cold too

but...er...anyway...

does anyone know the connection between the unfortunately Millwall supporting Danny Baker and the great Bob Marley?

I really couldn't believe it when I heard....
  • My favourite ever artist, couldn't narrow it to five, but No Woman No Cry is my favourite song of all time.
  • [cite]Posted By: PhoenixSiv[/cite]have been having a Marley-fest since I read this thread yesterday...

not sure if I can come up with a top 5 though

- War got me going...

- Coming in from the Cold too

but...er...anyway...

does anyone know the connection between the unfortunately Millwall supporting Danny Baker and the great Bob Marley?

I really couldn't believe it when I heard....

A bit of a joke from the Baker boy TBH but the Marley died from supposedly died from cancer linked to a foot injury. Baker said that while playing for the NME v The Wailers he stood on Marley's foot and injured him and so "killed" him.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]My favourite ever artist, couldn't narrow it to five, but No Woman No Cry is my favourite song of all time.

Go on, try to say which five. fascinating to hear which songs different people like, which era, style etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• pretty much...

Baker broke Marley's toe in that game......

and Marley's cancer started in his foot... making many people claim that 'Danny Baker killed Bob Marley'...

apparently the condition pre-dated the match though....
  • In Rita Marley's book (see my previous post), she does say that while playing football, Bob got a toe injury that wouldn't heal.

He was later diagnosed with a Melanoma in that toe - and advised to allow the toe to be amputated, thus preventing the cancer spreading to the rest of his body.

He refused to even consider it - and the cancer eventually spread to his brain and other organs, which eventually resulted in his death.

So Rita's book says.
  • so.... Danny Baker killed Bob Marley?
  • 1 No Woman No Cry
    2 Buffalo Soldier
    3 Redemption Song
    4 Stir It Up
    5th= Satisfy my Soul, One Love, TLB, Exodus, Waiting in Vain, Lively Up Yourself, Trenchtown Rock, Sun is Shining
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]1 No Woman No Cry
    2 Buffalo Soldier
    3 Redemption Song
    4 Stir It Up
    5th= Satisfy my Soul, One Love, TLB, Exodus, Waiting in Vain, Lively Up Yourself, Trenchtown Rock, Sun is Shining

What a sentimental old softie you are.

PS same as me then : - )
  • I don't know what it is about him and that style of music, but it can either make me completely relaxed, happily energetic or powerfully emotional.

The music just seems to 'fit' with whatever mood i'm in.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I don't know what it is about him and that style of music, but it can either make me completely relaxed, happily energetic or powerfully emotional.

The music just seems to 'fit' with whatever mood i'm in.

Yeah me too. Just hits the spot.

Listening to more and more "Roots and Culture" reggae these days. Congos, Burning Spear, etc
  • Probably for a new thread but Big Youth - Dread Locks Dread is worth digging back out. Train To Rhodesia track 1 side 1.
  • [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Probably for a new thread but Big Youth - Dread Locks Dread is worth digging back out. Train To Rhodesia track 1 side 1.

Weird! at the very moment I read that I was listening to Big Youth's version of Marcus Garvey and thinking "I haven't got much Big Youth. Will have to find some more of his stuff."

Any other Reggae worth listening too of that era, Ralph? Got a few of the usual things but always keen to try out more.
  • Big Youth - Screaming Target
    I Roy - Presenting I Roy
    Dillinger - CB200
    Jah Lion - Columbian Colly
    Lee Perry - Super Ape
    King Tubby - Meets the Rockers Uptown
    Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
    Burning Spear - Man In The Hills
    Dennis Brown - Wolf And Leopards
    Max Romeo - War In A Babylon

Enjoy.