Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old fashioned record shops

Last weekend struggled to find a single cd which got me thinking where can you gets singles records etc as all shops seem to be going pop.........years back seemed to be loads of good ones.....fond memories of Challenger and Hicks ( think thats the spelling ) opposite the clock tower bexleyheath and opposite the bull and vic Dartford...Elpees in Bexley and think one in Northhumberland Heath and Orpington....so in the same area are there any real record shops.....Campain for real Record Shops required....

Comments

• denmark st - off charring cross road got a few shops round that area should be able to get what you want
  • Used to have Cruisin and OK records in Welling.

TW records (Don't forget to ask for your 10% discount) in Plumstead, Erith and Bexleyheath.

There used to be a record shop in Woolwich in Thomas Street where the Afro hairdressers are now (well they were 5 years ago!)

Just don't get the same buzz when browsing Play or HMV online - Nothing like flicking through hundreds of LP's just to see if there really is a gem amongst all the crap.
  • Ajax records in Welling, near where the Macdonalds now is was good.
  • Selectadisc, Reckless Records, Sister Ray all in Berwick Street Soho. There are a couple of others in the same road as well.

Music Exchange in Greenwich.
  • That was it TW records just up past Georgie Lambs next to theat old cafe with huge steam machine.............good days still one down in Gravesend.......
  • There's one at the weekends in Greenwich Market...in the open air section near the antiques market.
  • This place at West Wickham is the business, and it's owned by an old mucker of mine.

http://www.rollinrecordsuk.com/shop.html
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Ajax records in Welling, near where the Macdonalds now is was good.

Bought my first records in Ajax in Bellegrove Road, Welling.

It was more or less next to the Granada cinema, where I had my first, ahem, hot date.
    Back row of the pictures, eh? Those were the days!

;o)
  • Back in the 80's could not beat Soho

Groove Records
    Hitman Records
    etc

Nowadays Music Exchange's are the place to source some good rare vinyl
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Used to have Cruisin and OK records in Welling.

TW records (Don't forget to ask for your 10% discount) in Plumstead, Erith and Bexleyheath.

There used to be a record shop in Woolwich in Thomas Street where the Afro hairdressers are now (well they were 5 years ago!)

Just don't get the same buzz when browsing Play or HMV online - Nothing like flicking through hundreds of LP's just to see if there really is a gem amongst all the crap.
    Crusin is still there. I remember Ajax which went on to be OK Records. We bought our first games console at Ajax - the old orange and black Binatone effort that had the mono 'pong' type games!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Ajax records in Welling, near where the Macdonalds now is was good.

Bought my first records in Ajax in Bellegrove Road, Welling.

It was more or less next to the Granada cinema, where I had my first, ahem, hot date.
    Back row of the pictures, eh? Those were the days!

;o)
    The Granada! I remember queues all the way round the building for Grease and Star Wars. Absolutely adored the place, the building itself, the foyer, the smell, the whole thing. Today's Welling is a total cackhole by comparison.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Selectadisc, Reckless Records, Sister Ray all in Berwick Street Soho. There are a couple of others in the same road as well.

Yep Vinyll Junkies is in Berwick Street. Been digging my vinyll out as been doing a Radio Show on Saturday mornings and we only play the plastic.
  • Riscardo setting off Derby early. . . .
  • edited January 2009
    No mention of Mobi Deques (sp?) in Charlton Village? For shame.

Essential Music in Greenwich is missed, as is Morps in Lewisham.
  • Beano's in Croydon

Cheapo Cheapo's in Wardour St

Spent far too much of my youth flicking thru record racks. Long live the iPod.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Riscardo setting off Derby early. . . .[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_386676 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]Norman_Jay.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

Oh good Ol Norman Jay. A proper Spudz supporter. In fact we always have a bit of banter when I see him. Seems like I'll be having banter with Barnet supporters come next Aug ...

I may dig my chopper out ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Selectadisc, Reckless Records, Sister Ray all in Berwick Street Soho. There are a couple of others in the same road as well.

Selectadisc (which started out in Nottingham) sold its London store three or four years ago and Sister Ray moved into the same premises. Sister Ray had gone into administration last summer, as far as I know it's still trading.
  • Sister Ray = great name for a record shop.

I'd put the lyrics up but they may shock
  • Dereks Records in Eltham, next to the Eltham Grill. Spent many teenage Saturdays in there, till I was old enough to get served in the pub!
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Essential Music in Greenwich is missed
    Sure is. After vinyl statred to go I went thru a phase of buying those little CD singles, the ones you used to clip the bit of plastic to to make them the right size. Was always in there and a decent place in Forest Gate where I used to work snapping them up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Boneparte's in Bromley;
    Saturday mornings posing with the rest of the punks, then off to CAFC !
    Good days !

*sigh*
  • Riscardo said: I may dig my chopper out ;)

No need, I think we've all seen your chopper. . . .

I wonder how many DJ's are Afflicted?

Dave Berry doesn't count.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Beano's in Croydon

Sadly also in the process of closing...
  • Quick questions. The Mrs has 3 crates of LPs (probably at least 400 albums in total) she rescued from her mum's years ago. Vast majority from the 60s and 70s, all in good conditions and bound to be some gems in there. We just haven't got the time to go through them all, so was wondering if anybody knew a dealer who may be interested and isn't going to rip us off.

Cheers
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Beano's in Croydon

Sadly also in the process of closing...
    Yep. I got my shwede trimmed yesterday in the barber's next door - took a peek round for old times' sake but it isn't a patch on what it used to be anyway. Still one of the last places in Croydon that isn't totally and utterly overrun by chav/rudebwoy/wannabe gangkstar tossers though.
  • My mum used to work in Elpees in North heath, It was the perfect escape from Erith comprehensive.
  • [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite]My mum used to work in Elpees in North heath, It was the perfect escape from Erith comprehensive.

Think you'll find that Erith is/ was a secondary modern ...
  • Some right dinlows came out of Erith School eh.
  • [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]Quick questions. The Mrs has 3 crates of LPs (probably at least 400 albums in total) she rescued from her mum's years ago. Vast majority from the 60s and 70s, all in good conditions and bound to be some gems in there. We just haven't got the time to go through them all, so was wondering if anybody knew a dealer who may be interested and isn't going to rip us off.

Cheers

The aforementioned Rollin Records - http://www.rollinrecordsuk.com/shop.html - ask for Steve and tell him Perry sent ya...
  • Riscardo, are you trying to tell me the name of the school I went to... ? Comprehensive tell 1972 . It was an exceedingly crap school, hence a record shop giving a far superior education !