Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Wally Downes has been sacked by AFC Wimbledon
    I think we can rule out an application from Tubby Mctalkbollocks (Karl Robinson).
    Quite interestingly their form has picked up since Downes was suspended anyway!
    Quite interestingly their form has picked up since Downes was suspended anyway!
    That's because he put a week's wages on them to get relegated at the start of the season!
  • if cockadoodle Cocu is still at Derby by Christmas, I'll think about eating my tastiest hat .. his was a ridiculous appointment from the off
  • Cocu & Woodgate show zero personality.
    They could be good motivators, but they show nothing when interviewed.
    The same criticism used to get levelled at Curbs, to be fair. 
  • Woodgate has a medium/long term job to do at Boro. I reckon his job is safe for this season.
  • Sponsored links:

The same criticism used to get levelled at Curbs, to be fair
     actions/achievements speak louder than chit chat
  • Cocu was atrocious at Fenerbahce last season.
    sacked before the end of October after the club hit the relegation zone.

Derby will have hoped for the PSV version and I imagine he’ll be desperate now too, you don’t get too many opportunities before being written off as a failure.
  • Woodgate has a medium/long term job to do at Boro. I reckon his job is safe for this season.
    Boro aren't a sacking club, but he's doing a pretty poor job considering he inherited a team that finished 7th last season. 
  • Sage said:
    if cockadoodle Cocu is still at Derby by Christmas, I'll think about eating my tastiest hat .. his was a ridiculous appointment from the off
    Seemed absolutely clueless with no passion or motivation on the touchline. He didn’t know what to do or how to stop us.

That’s the thing with Derby under Mel Morris. They go for names rather than anything else. Forget dynamics, work rate, togetherness, cohesion, balance etc. they think if they get a big name in, someone popular, the same with signing Rooney, that it will work out perfectly when most of the time it really doesn’t. And then they cheat the system and don’t get punished. It’s clubs like Derby that I really enjoy watching fail each and every year.
    Was always going to be a tough job this season, as not only have Derby lost a well liked manager, but they also lost their 3 best players from last season in Mount, Wilson and Tomori. 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50035674

Sol Campbell appointed as Southend manager. Hermann Hreidarsson will be his assistant, his first coaching role in this country I think. With Andy Cole as forwards coach, there's a lot of playing talent on the touchline!
  • edited October 2019
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50035674

Sol Campbell appointed as Southend manager. Hermann Hreidarsson will be his assistant, his first coaching role in this country I think. With Andy Cole as forwards coach, there's a lot of playing talent on the touchline!
    7-1 down. Must be the worst managerial debut since Bryan Gunn's Norwich let in 7 at home to Colchester a few years back.
  • MrLargo said:

7-1 down. Must be the worst managerial debut since Bryan Gunn's Norwich let in 7 at home to Colchester a few years back.
    I'd be very surprised if Sol Campbell took charge tonight

Either way a bit awkward as dont teams usually put in extra effort for their new manager even if they're just watching from the stands
  • MrLargo said:

Either way a bit awkward as dont teams usually put in extra effort for their new manager even if they're just watching from the stands
    True on both counts. Regardless of who's picked the team tonight, you'd expect some sort of reaction in front of a new manager.
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

True on both counts. Regardless of who's picked the team tonight, you'd expect some sort of reaction in front of a new manager.
    Maybe they’re just really shit
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

To be fair they've played two more games but their Goal Difference is worse than Bolton's!!

Let that sink in for a moment, at least Bolton have the excuse of being forced to play kids for a good number of games
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

To be fair they've played two more games but their Goal Difference is worse than Bolton's!!

Let that sink in for a moment, at least Bolton have the excuse of being forced to play kids for a good number of games
    Just checked and they were down to 9 men after 53 minutes.
  • edited October 2019
    Southend had nine men.

Maybe trying too hard to impress.

Derby will have hoped for the PSV version and I imagine he’ll be desperate now too, you don’t get too many opportunities before being written off as a failure.
    I disagree I think evidence shows that the same managers, many of them abject failures, get jobs time and time again.

I disagree I think evidence shows that the same managers, many of them abject failures, get jobs time and time again.
    I said written off as failures nothing about being unemployable.
     ;) 

But yeah, you're right. Time and time again these managers that have been sacked from numerous clubs get another job, almost as if the people employing them are just as incompetent.
  • edited October 2019
    THE board of directors of Morecambe FC has with great sadness today accepted Jim Bentley’s resignation from the club after more than 17 years with us.
    https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2019/october/club-statement/
    BBC Radio Lancashire reports he is set to take charge of National League side AFC Fylde.
  • Sage said:
    if cockadoodle Cocu is still at Derby by Christmas, I'll think about eating my tastiest hat .. his was a ridiculous appointment from the off
    Seemed absolutely clueless with no passion or motivation on the touchline. He didn’t know what to do or how to stop us.

That’s the thing with Derby under Mel Morris. They go for names rather than anything else. Forget dynamics, work rate, togetherness, cohesion, balance etc. they think if they get a big name in, someone popular, the same with signing Rooney, that it will work out perfectly when most of the time it really doesn’t. And then they cheat the system and don’t get punished. It’s clubs like Derby that I really enjoy watching fail each and every year.
    Was always going to be a tough job this season, as not only have Derby lost a well liked manager, but they also lost their 3 best players from last season in Mount, Wilson and Tomori. 
    They have Rooney coming to them in January so hopefully a 'big name' could potentially kick off the rest of their season.
  • clive said:
    THE board of directors of Morecambe FC has with great sadness today accepted Jim Bentley’s resignation from the club after more than 17 years with us.
    The end of an era there. Interesting that he's taking a job with Fylde, a division lower
  • Sage said:

They have Rooney coming to them in January so hopefully a 'big name' could potentially kick off the rest of their season.
    Wonder if he will come in as manager, as by then they will be in all sorts of problems.

could get interesting.
  • clive said:
    BBC Radio Lancashire reports he is set to take charge of National League side AFC Fylde.
    Reckon it could be the beginning of the end for them in the Football League

They've nearly always been in a relegation battle under Bentley and think they need to be VERY careful about who they bring in else they could really nose dive as arent in the best position financially