Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diplomatic immunity.

Talk about a philosophical and political maelstrom.
Given the current tragic situation with the death in a traffic incident how does CL opine?

Comments

• 7 minutes.
  • Abuse of power.
  • edited October 2019
    cfgs said:
    The phrase always reminds me of Lethal Weapon 2.
    This! Spoken in a South African accent, spitting on pronouncing the P.

In fact I said it that way to myself upon seeing the thread title 
  • Has just been revoked......
  • edited October 2019
    Has just been revoked......
    Really? Did not see that happening, good news if so.
    If so then great. Does bring into debate the wider issue of the abuse of Diplomatic Immunity. I’m not sure why we need to have Diplomatic Immunity at all but definitely not when it concerns criminal cases.
    If so then great. Does bring into debate the wider issue of the abuse of Diplomatic Immunity. I’m not sure why we need to have Diplomatic Immunity at all but definitely not when it concerns criminal cases.
    I think it serves a purpose if someone’s status in the country is confidential and revealing their identity could be detrimental.

This is way over the line, no one should be able to claim diplomatic immunity from prosecution for killing someone. 
    Serious question, where have you seen or heard this because I can’t see it reported anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    Godsend for Boris. First thing he's got right as PM, and on a day when his integrity as London Mayor has been called into question.
  • Think I’m missing something here, what’s this in relation to? Must have my head in the sand. 
  • Think I’m missing something here, what’s this in relation to? Must have my head in the sand. 
    Really? Where do you live, the moon?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-49961679 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-49961679 
    Crikey, just had a read up and can’t see any way that diplomatic immunity should excuse her from it. I imagine it’s main purpose is to protect classified information from other countries if arrested for related crimes. 
  • it's absolute bollox that she has done a runner. if you listen to the lads parents they have said that they could forgive an accident and that they'd never have asked for custodial as she is a mother herself, must be heartbreaking for them 

• it's absolute bollox that she has done a runner. if you listen to the lads parents they have said that they could forgive an accident and that they'd never have asked for custodial as she is a mother herself, must be heartbreaking for them 

She told the Bill that she had no plans to leave the country and then did as soon as she could, appalling. 
  • se9addick said:
    Has just been revoked......
    I think it serves a purpose if someone’s status in the country is confidential and revealing their identity could be detrimental.

This is way over the line, no one should be able to claim diplomatic immunity from prosecution for killing someone. 
    It’s a bit more than that. It’s to prevent diplomats being charged with made up offences  So China can’t charge diplomats who disagree with them on Hong Kong can’t be repeatedly be arrested for parking illegally, speeding or saying nasty things about Pooh Bear. 
    I think more of us live there than you realise. I knew nothing of this
  • Sponsored links:

• The first point to make is this lady is not a murderer. But her negligence has caused the death of a young man. You have to take responsibility for your actions. She should have out of respect for the young man's family and the tragedy she caused fully co-operated with the police and remained in the country. I suspect this will not end well for her and she has been badly advised.  
    Same
  • Trump should stay out of this at all costs.........he is in a no win situation.
  • Addickted said:
    Football is shit there. No atmosphere in the grounds at all. 
    Bailey's penalty would still be going.
    It’s still on its way there!

I knew you ate too much cheese ;-)
  • The first point to make is this lady is not a murderer. But her negligence has caused the death of a young man. You have to take responsibility for your actions. She should have out of respect for the young man's family and the tragedy she caused fully co-operated with the police and remained in the country. I suspect this will not end well for her and she has been badly advised.  
    Surely the point is we don’t know what she is or isn’t as she hasn’t stayed in the country to face justice?
  • Now she has been named (or her name has leaked), I can't see how she can even come close to leading a normal life safe from revenge attacks etc. She can't shut herself away forever.

Not that I care about her per se, but from the perspective of justice / whats right - and her own safety - she needs to be taken back to the UK and put through the proper channels.