Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kids Football "Subs"

Hi All, I hope someone can help on here.

Basically my son has started playing football and each month we get asked for £30 "subs". Last month 2 training sessions and a match were called off because of the weather. I believe we could have done the match but the coach called it off due to a waterlogged pitch.

We have just been asked to pay the £30 subs again for this month.  Is this right?

Comments

• Hi All, I hope someone can help on here.

Basically my son has started playing football and each month we get asked for £30 "subs". Last month 2 training sessions and a match were called off because of the weather. I believe we could have done the match but the coach called it off due to a waterlogged pitch.

We have just been asked to pay the £30 subs again for this month.  Is this right?
    Only if they don't charge for the rescheduled fixtures.

Why aren't the subs per game only? That's the usual GR structure as the subs usually go to paying off the ref.
  • I presume the game will be played at some point. We had an upfront payment then £10 a month to cover training costs. It is good to have money in hand as there are expenses - paying for pitches, refs etc...
  • edited October 2019
    Depends what you get for it, for example, training gear, floodlights, etc.

My son’s (under 15) current team is £70 membership and £15 a month for ten months a year, gets a free full home and full away kit, training top, waterproof training top, kit bag, training on half a flood lit AstroTurf pitch midweek during winter, home pitch for games and ref’s fees.  The kits, training tops and bag all have sponsorship on them so not sure how much the subs pay toward that. There’s probably some sort of insurance in there too - not sure.  Any money left in the pot at the end of the year pays for summer tournaments and the ‘awards ceremony’ where they get medals etc and takeaway pizza.  Also weren’t asked to pay fees for any pre-season friendlies.

This is in Kent regional league but not premier Kent league which i think is higher cost because they have to provide refreshments for the opposition and have full track suits, provide changing rooms, etc.

Previous team (left them when under 11 age group). Paid a flat £20 all year round got full home kit and one away shirt, paid for pitch hire and training on grass Saturday morning, paid for the ref but often a ref wouldn’t turn up and half the time a parent would end up doing it (no they didn’t get the £30 the ref would have been given). There was an awards ceremony at end of year but had to pay for food and drinks. Had to pay again if wanted to enter any summer tournaments / friendlies. This was in London in the SELKENT league 2nd division.

They seem to take things a lot more seriously in Kent.

• edited October 2019
    £30 a month!

Sounds like someone's having it away.

Have you had to pay to register them on top of those payments? 

How many in the team? What age group are they?
  • What your son receives for £30 per month will, hopefully, even out over the course of the year. As indicated by Charltonparklane football is cheap compared to some other sports - typically a parent can pay anything from £20 to £200 for just one hours cricket or golf coaching. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Hi All, I hope someone can help on here.

Only if they don't charge for the rescheduled fixtures.

Why aren't the subs per game only? That's the usual GR structure as the subs usually go to paying off the ref.
    Ah, you’re raising your kids to play the Italian way! 
  • £30 a month!

Sounds like someone's having it away.

Have you had to pay to register them on top of those payments? 

How many in the team? What age group are they?
    Yeah we had to pay £70 to register in July. 

Under 7s. 10 in the group.
  • What your son receives for £30 per month will, hopefully, even out over the course of the year. As indicated by Charltonparklane football is cheap compared to some other sports - typically a parent can pay anything from £20 to £200 for just one hours cricket or golf coaching. 

My son plays cricket and it is a flat £70 a year, plus £30 for winter nets, gets training once a week February to mid-august and 14 league matches.  There's an expectation that you will provide a 'tea' maybe once a season, which in some parent's cases consists of thirty doughnuts, so does not need to be a major expense. also gets given a club match shirt, a training top and a cap.  so much cheaper than football.

Unfortunately, buying a bat, pads, helmet, gloves, shoes, bag (a lot of these need to be every year when they're growing) is a very large expense compared to a pair of football boots.

That doesn’t make it right. Both my kids play football and have done for a good few years now. Can’t remember ever paying more than £10 a month. We do however pay registration fees separately. And that’s another farce.

We recently found out that the chairman of our area league was booted out because it was found he was claiming an £18 grand a year salary from all the proceeds. That’s a kids football league!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    The more players you have, the cheaper it gets. The problem is, you have to play them all as ultimately they are paying. My least favourite job as a manager is trying to get money from parents - a bit like in business, trying to get paid by customers in a timely manner. Chasing people for money is no fun.

Our club did ok out of us and I thought never supported us as much as they could because they didn't like our disciplinary record last season. We paid for our kit through sponsorship but paid full subs with a squad of 18. The initial payment went to the club and we got money for refs and pitches and had to organise payment of training ourselves.

• You got off lightly, my 2 girls cost me over £200 a month dance lessons and comps!
  • I'm sure, when my brother ran a kids team, it was something like £30/£40 signing on fee + £10 a month subs
  • Varies from team to team what the "subs" go into and the up front fee. At £70 most of that is gone for player registration (includes insurance) plus any league affiliation costs, etc. 

At £30 a month, you're looking at £7.50 per week to cover everything else which isn't a lot of money. I suspect training costs have to be covered regardless of cancellations as you generally block book. However, as Dazzler mentions, you shouldn't really pay for the rescheduled fixtures in that case.

My nippers costs were about 60quid at the start of the season. Kits are all sponsored and covered, then pays £7 a week but for home fixtures only in order to cover ref and pitch costs.
  • edited October 2019
    Ours were around £100 per season, which the club pocketed, then it supplies training balls, Kit (although not every year and not if you have a sponsor but registration fee stayed the same, match pitch and ref. Plus all the admin and insurance etc... They had an arrangement with a local school for floodlighted, artificial turf training pitches but we had to pay the school directly and charged £10 a month for this. Any money left over went on trophies etc... Not a lot of money is left over, I can promise you.

When we got to the cup final we had to find the additional costs, the club were not helpful. Every managers' meeting I got it in the neck for our discipline. Nobody from the club came to watch us win the cup and they 'forgot' to mention it in their end of season meeting despite only winning three trophies in total from all age groups!
  • So shall I just stump up the £30? 
  • edited October 2019
    Yes, and do it gladly! :)
  • .I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY said:
    So shall I just stump up the £30? 
    You need to ask the following questions:

(1) What are you paying for?
    (2) How many months do you have to pay £30 for?

Then you can work out whether you are getting value for money
  • edited October 2019
    So shall I just stump up the £30? 
    Yes but when the coach is at training go round and shag his wife
    Trouble is the coach is a woman and it would have to be the husband for the shag.  Taking that in to account, I think the subs should be £25.
  • Sponsored links:

That doesn’t make it right. Both my kids play football and have done for a good few years now. Can’t remember ever paying more than £10 a month. We do however pay registration fees separately. And that’s another farce.

We recently found out that the chairman of our area league was booted out because it was found he was claiming an £18 grand a year salary from all the proceeds. That’s a kids football league!
    Keep an eye on that bloke he could be the head of FIFA in a few years.
  • £1 a day ! ..