Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bernardo Silva tweet

Taken down after accusations of racism.

Comments

• What’s all that about....who is he, never heard of him.....should I have?
  • What’s all that about....who is he, never heard of him.....should I have?
    He’s a Man City midfielder.
  • Scoham said:
    What’s all that about....who is he, never heard of him.....should I have?
    He’s a Man City midfielder.
    Oh right!
  • It's not exactly any old cartoon though is it? Do you not think that was a somewhat negative stereotype?
  • PaddyP17 said:
    That's Benjamin Mendy as a kid, being compared to a mascot from some chocolate bar or something in Brazil (not sure on its provenance but it's something like that).

It's simple: showing it to Mendy privately is fine. Doing so on Twitter is not. It's a big yikes from me and sure, someone like Mendy may not be offended, but given the context of a wider British audience, this is a properly ill thought out tweet (if there even was any thought behind it in the first place).
    If he had tweeted a 5 year old white kid with round glasses and compared him to the Milky Bar Kid, would that be offensive ? Genuine question. 

What's the issue, is it that no black person is allowed to be compared to a black cartoon ?

Or is it that no one other than white is ?

Or it is offensive for anyone to be compared to a cartoon ?

Don't get me wrong I've no doubt there will be plenty that will be offended, but I'm just trying to be certain of why.
    It might be worth checking the advert out as well: https://streamable.com/0rjld 

I think you've phrased your questions in a slightly loaded manner, and my answer is probably not going to be agreeable to you, within the context of your phrasing (which does ignore the wider context behind that cartoon - but in fairness, you didn't know the context).

But the power balance at play when it comes to a white person making a joke at the expense of a person of colour means there is further mal intent. Of course we're talking about millionaires joking amongst themselves here. BUT - and this is key - it's how Silva did it in a public forum, and how something like this can potentially normalise racial stereotyping and "jokes".

So when it comes to the Milky Bar Kid comparison... I don't think that's fair. I think it's a false equivalence: you may disagree, but I hope I've outlined why I think that way above with fair enough reasoning.
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:
    It's not exactly any old cartoon though is it? Do you not think that was a somewhat negative stereotype?
    Ah, I see, it's because the cartoon is a negative stereotype.
    If it was a more attractive black cartoon, that would be ok ?
    Genuine question.
    If you don't understand what causes the offence, then you may inadvertently offend.
  • Also, the "what if it were the other way round" - pray tell, how often IS it the other way round?
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Also, the "what if it were the other way round" - pray tell, how often IS it the other way round?
    See that’s just asking to be bitten at. Whilst I don’t agree with white people who play the victim card let’s not pretend this isn’t a two way street.

For reference, type in ‘White people’ on twitter and look at some of the tweets. (And that’s literally my first attempt at finding some sort of white directed “racism”)

Personally I find a lot of those tweets to be funny. Whilst today’s society is by no means close to cracking the issue of racism, there is also such an eagerness to label things racist. 

• I just saw/played the advert, so I can now see the offence. I only saw the original post beforehand. 
  • i don't get it . What's the story ? Why would anyone be offended by that tweet? 
  •  Is it coz I'm black ?
  • Conguitos is a Spanish chocolate brand with a history of racist advertising. The ad linked above is from the 70s and they have evolved their advertising since then but the history of the branding can't be denied. Clearly it wasn't Silva's intention to rake up controversy over this brand's history. He thought it was ok, as just a joke between friends. He possibly turns a blind eye to a lot of racism and tells everyone to lighten up, like a few on here like to do from time to time.

And the likes of @Laddick trying to pose the reverse question about the hypothetical offence caused to white people ("two way street"), keep the discussion trivial and superficial, probably because they are comfortable there, and moreover wouldn't mind being mates with Silva and his sort. 
  • Silva and his sort?  He made a joke his friend found funny, yeah, it shouldn't have been made in public but he's not exactly Hitler!
  • Sponsored links:

• Whether it is or isn’t racist (I don’t think it is), saying Mendy found it funny doesn’t make it ok. That’s like David Brent excusing his racist joke because ‘the office black guy’ loved it.
  • It's very simple ... don't publicly do stuff that can cause upset and pain for people, end of, reminding people that you are similar a black chocolate baby from a tribe and then being eaten by someone is not the coolest thing to do. 

We are in an age when, rightfully, people's views are respected. 

That ad is definitely racist, and linking someone to that publicly, shows his naivety as well the culture that he comes from still has very real issues around what is acceptable and what is not. 

• McBobbin said:
    It's not exactly any old cartoon though is it? Do you not think that was a somewhat negative stereotype?
    Ah, I see, it's because the cartoon is a negative stereotype.
    If it was a more attractive black cartoon, that would be ok ?
    Genuine question.
    If you don't understand what causes the offence, then you may inadvertently offend.
    Yes I think so. If they say he looked like I dunno Gary Coleman saying "what Chu Talkin about Willis" that's just comparing like with like, but compared to a gollywog... Not so clever. 

Also worth saying I've abused my mates far worse than that, just in private. And we all think it's hilarious.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Also, the "what if it were the other way round" - pray tell, how often IS it the other way round?
    Whats the cut off point for it to happen enough for it not to be okay? pray tell.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Whats the cut off point for it to happen enough for it not to be okay? pray tell.
    It seems that you're implying I think it's okay for people to make racially offensive jokes at the expense of white people.

For the record, obviously it's not okay, especially if you're doing so on a public forum as has happened in this case.

As for the things being okay/not okay - this is the sort of thing that (and I'm going to sound "PC gone mad" here to a lot of you) helps legitimise the discrimination that has been historically felt by black people (and indeed other POC).

In this country, there's no historical precedent of widespread discrimination against white people on the basis of their skin colour, so it's not the easiest point to grapple with.
  • edited September 2019
    Also, I'm not going to call Bernardo Silva a racist, but he's got prior form on making these rather ill-judged jokes in a public forum:

• not the same but a fan not so long ago prior to the playoff final put a pint of guinness photo up after beating doncaster with 

i call this the lyle taylor - the guy i would imagine didnt mean to cause any offence but it got deleted from the fb page.
  • Be curious to see what Raheem Sterling thinks of all this
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Also, I'm not going to call Bernardo Silva a racist, but he's got prior form on making these rather ill-judged jokes in a public forum:

i'm offended by that. as i was with the original tweet on this thread. as they're both an offence against comedy. 
  • Kick It Out has called on the Football Association to act after the governing body confirmed it was investigating a tweet sent by Manchester City's Bernardo Silva.

Silva compared City team-mate Benjamin Mendy to the character on the packet of Conguitos - a sweet brand available in Spain and Portugal.

"We are extremely disappointed to see the tweet posted by Bernardo Silva," said the anti-discrimination body.

A Kick It Out statement added: "Racist stereotypes are never acceptable as 'banter', and we're shocked that someone who is a role model to millions has failed to understand the discriminatory nature of his post.

"The FA have been notified and we believe that retrospective action should be taken, including mandatory education - which is vital to challenge offensive behaviour such as this."

Getting absolutely ridiculous now. Someone please explain to me how the tweet was racist. Or how it is in any way different to Aguero being nicknamed after a Japanese cartoon character because shock of all horrors.......he looks like the character.