Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Guitar Experts on here?

Is there anyone on here who is an expert in guitars? I've been playing for many, many years, but need some advice on buying a guitar. I've found what I think is an absolute bargain, but am concerned the price is too good to be true.

Anyone versed on spotting fakes?

Comments

• @Greenie might be the one to talk to.
  • PopIcon said:
    Is there anyone on here who is an expert in guitars? I've been playing for many, many years, but need some advice on buying a guitar. I've found what I think is an absolute bargain, but am concerned the price is too good to be true.

Where? What?
  • edited September 2019
    There is a poster on here who mends top end guitars if i remember rightly.  To the stars. Cant remember their name though unfortunately. 
  • PopIcon said:

Where? What?
    Gibson Les Paul Special, USA made £620. I've looked for the tell tale forgery signs and nothing is jumping out. 
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Where? What?
    Gibson Les Paul Special, USA made £620. I've looked for the tell tale forgery signs and nothing is jumping out. 
    All the genuine items have serial numbers which you can check online
    New or used?
    tbh £620 is the sort of price you can find a choice of USA LP's - depending on spec, originality and condition
    If you like it, it plays well and sounds good, where's the risk?
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Where? What?
    All the genuine items have serial numbers which you can check online
    New or used?
    tbh £620 is the sort of price you can find a choice of USA LP's - depending on spec, originality and condition
    If you like it, it plays well and sounds good, where's the risk?

I've checked the serial number and while it comes back as a genuine number, I know that these can be copied. Plus the number just gives the date and factory location, not the make and model.

I'm only interested in either a Special or a Jr and the USA ones go for a lot more than £620.

• I'm a musician, though not a guitar expert, but as general rules of thumb (as this has applied to pianos when I'm giving advice to mates and helping them choose):

- Are you able to play the instrument before you buy?

- What guarantees does the seller offer? Draw something up demanding a full and prompt refund should anything be amiss (make sure the language is watertight), and if they're kosher it's the sort of thing they'd sign.

- What condition is it in?

- Do we know why they are selling, and why at that price? (Maybe don't question the latter though!)

I mean this looks like a very, very good deal - but not out of the realms of possibility. Proceed with caution.
  • Without wishing to hijack the thread can anyone can recommend a first electric guitar for a complete beginner to learn on also?
  • There’s a vast array of LP Specials, what year, original neck, repainted? Original pick ups?
  • Sponsored links:

• chinese Gibson copies (chibsons) look almost identical these days. There's a few telltale signs to look for. google chibson , there are lots of sites which will point out on what to look for.
  • I'm selling one of these if anyone's interested 
  • Whatever you decide, make your decision and dont fret about it after.
  • MrWalker said:
    Whatever you decide, make your decision and dont fret about it after.
    That's the key.
  • I didn't pick up on that joke at first
  • Without wishing to hijack the thread can anyone can recommend a first electric guitar for a complete beginner to learn on also?

I've heard good things about Yamaha Pacifica 112. Apparently for the price they are very decent. Maybe look for something second hand?
  • cafcdog said:
    chinese Gibson copies (chibsons) look almost identical these days. There's a few telltale signs to look for. google chibson , there are lots of sites which will point out on what to look for.
    This is my main concern, was hoping there would be some topdog expert on here who may have had personal experience. I have been playing for 20+ years, but haven't brought a new guitar in over ten. These phoney Chinese guitars were never the problem back then.

I have picked through many, many pictures and have noted that every single knock off shares one common problem. All the tune-o-matic's have Phillips head or flat head screws to keep them attached to the body. The genuine ones simply have thumb screws. 
  • Are you worried there may be strings attached to the deal?
  • Just as well you've used Charlton Life as a sounding board.
  • As someone has also said the main thing here, I think, is can you get a chance to play it first? If it sounds good and plays well most importantly, what’s not to like?
    Some of the original guitars with those famous brand names on them have not been that great over the years, so I would suggest if this guitar feels like a great guitar, then you’ve got what you want. You can always spec it up a bit from a place like Stew Macs, who are very helpful, though in the States.
    I completely get that you might want an original guitar, and this may indeed be that, but for £620 a ‘good’ guitar, whatever it is, would be a fair result imo.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Sponsored links:

• There are some genuine, pre-bankruptcy era USA Gibsons which are fecking awful. Poor quality wood, components & finishing. 
    Serious lapses in quality control.

Like PaddyP17 says, it would be best if you can check it out before you buy.
  • @PopIcon

Where is the guitar for sale?
  • Can't help you other then informing you Japanese or American made guitars.

Are much better then those that originate in china or Korea 
  • McBobbin said:
    Without wishing to hijack the thread can anyone can recommend a first electric guitar for a complete beginner to learn on also?

I've heard good things about Yamaha Pacifica 112. Apparently for the price they are very decent. Maybe look for something second hand?

I’d agree with the advice of a Yamaha Pacifica as an entry level guitar, if you want a strat style guitar.

I bought a Line 6 Variax Standard and they’re based on the Pacifica before Line 6 put their electronic witchcraft into it and I find it plays fine with the guitar modelling stuff switched off and it’s playing as a Pacifica.

Sorry, I’ve got know further advice regarding the Les Paul than what other people have said.

• Stefco said:
    There are some genuine, pre-bankruptcy era USA Gibsons which are fecking awful. Poor quality wood, components & finishing. 
    Serious lapses in quality control.

Like PaddyP17 says, it would be best if you can check it out before you buy.
    It's from the 2000's, so post bankruptcy.

@PopIcon

Where is the guitar for sale?
    Ebay, the bloke lives in Petts Wood.
  • Buy a Strat. Far, far, far more versatile.
  • Vinnie V. said:
    Buy a Strat. Far, far, far more versatile.
    If I was to buy a Fender it would be a tele.
    As mentioned I've been playing for a very long time.
  • Vinnie V. said:
    The Strat is a Clitoris guitar.
    Telecasters are the daddy.

Cant help with Les Paul, sorry.

For new players any of the Chinese, Korean copies are all good.
  • Greenie said:
    Vinnie V. said:
    The Strat is a Clitoris guitar.
    Telecasters are the daddy.

Cant help with Les Paul, sorry.

For new players any of the Chinese, Korean copies are all good.
    I wondered why I couldn't find my Strat.
  • If you take a look at the list on the other thread about most influential guitarists, this one: 

https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time

6 of the top 10 played strats or super-strat copies.  Not that the strat is my favourite guitar but there must be something good about them for six of the ‘best’ guitarists in the world chose them.