Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Birmingham | Sat 14 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Birmingham City
Saturday 14th September 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Matt Donohue (Manchester)

Introduction
League football returns this Saturday following the first International Break of the season – The pause in action can so often hinder a team especially with it having been two weeks since our last performance against Reading. Yet it can also be a help with a chance for players to recover from what has been a gruelling first month of the season, this Saturday it’s the turn of Birmingham City to visit Fortress Vallee and so attempt to breach what has become a miserable place for away teams over the past year!!

The Opposition
Name: Birmingham City | Caretaker Manager: Pep Clotet
Ground: St. Andrews

As is the way with a lot of Championship teams, it’s been a bit turbulent around St. Andrews of late… Looking outsiders for the Play-Offs last season; the Blues would be dealt a blow when they were handed a twelve point deduction for over spending. Promotion chasing would turn into relegation battling and whilst there was never a real risk of relegation, it left a disappointing taste in the air that resulted in Garry Monk leaving as Manager after a falling out with the owners!!

So its Pep Clotet that has stepped temporarily (?) into the breach, ex-Oxford Manager (perhaps harshly sacked) and plenty of experience here in England having been an assistant at both Swansea City and Leeds United – Our opponents, may be punching above their weight at present, but in similar fashion to ourselves, may not go away too soon.

Certainly the biggest issue for Clotet was replacing Che Adams who would leave for Southampton – Ultimately they havent… Its been a case of relying on the experienced: Lukasz Jutkiewicz (three goals this term) – Dan Cowley though will be one to watch in midfield, having failed to break through at Arsenal, the youngster would revive his career in the Eredivisie and after two years with Willem II, is back on these shores ready to impress

Charlton Team News
The biggest concern and frustration of any International break is losing your players to injury – After Lyle Taylor was seen home from Montserrat early the rumours ran wild that the talismanic Striker would be out injured for the foreseeable future; Bowyer today though has confirmed that the Striker (nominated for the League’s Player of the Month award) could yet be involved for Saturdays clash!!

To spark further debate, having signed on deadline day from Brighton; Beram Kayal could finally make an appearance (at least on the bench) – Having signed with a lack of fitness, the Israeli midfielder appeared in both games for his Nation in the last week as they look to secure qualification to their first Major Tournament since the World Cup in 1970.

New signing: Adam Matthews will surely have to wait his turn before even a space on the bench appears

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Field | Williams
Gallagher
Taylor | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Pratley | Kayal | Oztumer | Aneke | Hemed

Prediction
The unpredictability of the Championship rumbles on… I doubt any of us expected the start that we’ve had yet its time to see how the players react now that there has been disruption to their momentum – Has this first International break been an aid for recovery or has it been a hindrance? – Guess we’ll find out come 5pm on Saturday wont we!!

Comments

• Charlton Athletic v Birmingham City
    Saturday 14th September 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Matt Donohue (Manchester)

Introduction
    League football returns this Saturday following the first International Break of the season – The pause in action can so often hinder a team especially with it having been two weeks since our last performance against Reading. Yet it can also be a help with a chance for players to recover from what has been a gruelling first month of the season, this Saturday it’s the turn of Birmingham City to visit Fortress Vallee and so attempt to breach what has become a miserable place for away teams over the past year!!

The Opposition
    Name: Birmingham City | Caretaker Manager: Pep Clotet
    Ground: St. Andrews

As is the way with a lot of Championship teams, it’s been a bit turbulent around St. Andrews of late… Looking outsiders for the Play-Offs last season; the Blues would be dealt a blow when they were handed a twelve point deduction for over spending. Promotion chasing would turn into relegation battling and whilst there was never a real risk of relegation, it left a disappointing taste in the air that resulted in Garry Monk leaving as Manager after a falling out with the owners!!

So its Pep Clotet that has stepped temporarily (?) into the breach, ex-Oxford Manager (perhaps harshly sacked) and plenty of experience here in England having been an assistant at both Swansea City and Leeds United – Our opponents, may be punching above their weight at present, but in similar fashion to ourselves, may not go away too soon.

Certainly the biggest issue for Clotet was replacing Che Adams who would leave for Southampton – Ultimately they havent… Its been a case of relying on the experienced: Lukasz Jutkiewicz (three goals this term) – Dan Cowley though will be one to watch in midfield, having failed to break through at Arsenal, the youngster would revive his career in the Eredivisie and after two years with Willem II, is back on these shores ready to impress

Charlton Team News
    The biggest concern and frustration of any International break is losing your players to injury – After Lyle Taylor was seen home from Montserrat early the rumours ran wild that the talismanic Striker would be out injured for the foreseeable future; Bowyer today though has confirmed that the Striker (nominated for the League’s Player of the Month award) could yet be involved for Saturdays clash!!

To spark further debate, having signed on deadline day from Brighton; Beram Kayal could finally make an appearance (at least on the bench) – Having signed with a lack of fitness, the Israeli midfielder appeared in both games for his Nation in the last week as they look to secure qualification to their first Major Tournament since the World Cup in 1970.

New signing: Adam Matthews will surely have to wait his turn before even a space on the bench appears

Phillips
    Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
    Cullen | Field | Williams
    Gallagher
    Taylor | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Pratley | Kayal | Oztumer | Aneke | Hemed

Prediction
    The unpredictability of the Championship rumbles on… I doubt any of us expected the start that we’ve had yet its time to see how the players react now that there has been disruption to their momentum – Has this first International break been an aid for recovery or has it been a hindrance? – Guess we’ll find out come 5pm on Saturday wont we!!

I can see Jonny sitting this one out, after 90 for Wales on Monday.  
  • I think we will win this one 2-0, not a formality. Half expecting Hemed to start in place of Taylor
  • I think we will win this one 2-0, not a formality. Half expecting Hemed to start in place of Taylor
    I had Hemed down for starting until the Bowyer confirmed Taylor's injury this morning - Wont be surprised either if that happens

Wouldnt feel right though if Taylor were on the bench
  • 2-1 for Charlton
  • Good review as usual ForeverAddicked , I don't think Taylor will play on Saturday , but still going for us to win.

2 -1 Charlton , Hemed and Gallagher with the goals.

• 'No easy games in the Championship' .. (who said that ?) .. Unchanged team flying high after a good r&r .. another home win

CAFC 2 v Birmingham City 0
  • I'm a lot less confident - I suspect Bowyer is playing games around Taylor and I fear the break may have disrupted our momentum. I don't think Birmingham will underestimate us so I hope we have some of the phenomenal energy in the Forest first half. Our first banana skin of the season 0-1 :disappointed:
  • 1-2 

A first Charlton goal for Hemed but it isn't enough as a deflected goal in the last 10 mins seals the win for the Brummy boys in blue
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    The Millwall of the Midlands are not going to spoil our good start to the season. 
    2.0 Charlton. 
    Hemed and baby Beckham with the goals. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd have thought we have Matthews on the bench as full-back cover (given Solly is probably the most injury-prone of the back line), unless Oshilaja is back.

Great preview of course. I hope that our good start, followed up by the visit of a team that seems to be flattering to deceive somewhat, doesn't lead to complacency or arrogance in our expectations. This is very much a typical "potential banana skin": just as we start to reckon ourselves, we're brought back to earth by a weird 0-1 or 1-2 defeat.

With this said, however, I'm still confident in Bows and the boys. 2-1 but not a dangerous one: Leko and Gallagher to score before a late consolation from... I dunno, probably Jutkiewicz.

COYR!
  • 2-3
    Lyle Taylor with a brace (on his foot)
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I'd have thought we have Matthews on the bench as full-back cover (given Solly is probably the most injury-prone of the back line), unless Oshilaja is back.

Great preview of course. I hope that our good start, followed up by the visit of a team that seems to be flattering to deceive somewhat, doesn't lead to complacency or arrogance in our expectations. This is very much a typical "potential banana skin": just as we start to reckon ourselves, we're brought back to earth by a weird 0-1 or 1-2 defeat.

With this said, however, I'm still confident in Bows and the boys. 2-1 but not a dangerous one: Leko and Gallagher to score before a late consolation from... I dunno, probably Jutkiewicz.

COYR!
    Bowyer mentioned today that Matthews pretty much missed Pre-Season so dont think we'll see him for a while

Struggling naming the bench at the moment, got a feeling Oshilaja could come back but dont think Pratley will be dropped - Do wonder if Williams might be given a rest (as @wmcf123 suggests) on the safe side just to be on the safe side with harder fixtures to come
  • It might have been an international break, but with so many players on international duty, a significant number of our main players will have been away

I've no idea who will play, especially in midfield where Pratley, Field and Kayal are all competing for possibly one place
  • Be good to see Otzumer instead of Field
  • 1-1 - I fancy Birmingham to get an early goal and frustrate the hell out of us. With this game coming a bit too soon for Lyle Taylor, I fear we’ll lack that cutting edge in the final third.
  • I can’t be there, so I’m counting on someone to “sing double” to make up for me. 
    The Blues will have plenty of support and we need to out sing them. 
    COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ll continue with my predictions of us losing as it’s worked wonders so far.

1-0 Birmingham 
  • edited September 2019
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Lee Bowyer's call to fill the ground has finally swung me and going to my first home league game for a couple of seasons. The atmosphere away has been so good that I my lad and I have decided to come back, we cant wait to get back into a bouncing Covered End.                                     

Nothing has changed with regards to my views on Roland but I just miss the Valley too much. Still going to make 20+ away's this season but, there's no place like home.

That’s buggered it Clive! 😝

Good to see you back mate . 
  • 2-0 Stroll... Charlton start to get talked about as the real deal...
  • Nice one FA, with or without Taylor, I think we will win, 2-0
  • edited September 2019
    If lyle plays he will be clattered within the first 10 minutes. Lets see what the others can offer.
  • Be good to see Otzumer instead of Field
    Trying to imagine Oztumer playing in Field's role. 
    I think you misunderstood Jon. He really meant play Lockyer instead of Field and Oztumer at centre-back.
  • Clive great to have you back in the Covered End choir. I will look out for you from the upper tier.
  • All tough games in the league. Settle for a draw but fancy another 1-0 again like the Brentford game. Be nice to keep the home run going. COYR