Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Manchester Derby

in the women’s game.

over 31,000 at the Etihad 

Comments

• And....... If they were playing in my back garden I would not look out the window. 
    More fool you then
  • Apparently the previous highest crowd for a women's league match before today was c 5k.

Less than Leyton Orient got today for a fourth division match.
  • Off_it said:
    Apparently the previous highest crowd for a women's league match before today was c 5k.

in the women’s game.

Ticket prices £6.50 to £8.50 according to website.
  • Halix said:
    Off_it said:
    Apparently the previous highest crowd for a women's league match before today was c 5k.

in the women’s game.

Ticket prices £6.50 to £8.50 according to website.
    I wonder how many tickets were actually bought and paid for though?
  • 3,041 at Bristol City women today and 40k expected at Chelsea v Tottenham tomorrow 
  • The cynic in me would love to know how many free tickets were handed out

Of course it happens in the Mens game too though
  • Even if they are handing out a large number of comps there will still be a very large number of paying punters in crowds of 35K or 40K. 
  • I filmed a women’s game last week. They worked extremely hard and it was admirable how seriously they took it. Thing is, it’s rare to watch a game at any level where I can confidentially say I could take to the pitch - let alone be the best player on it. By a considerable distance. 

When one of the ladies chested the ball down, the girls on the bench all shrieked. One said “oh I wouldn’t do that,” while another said the same thing about a header (a headed clearance earnt a round of applause from the bench too). 

• Sponsored links:

• Good news
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    I filmed a women’s game last week. They worked extremely hard and it was admirable how seriously they took it. Thing is, it’s rare to watch a game at any level where I can confidentially say I could take to the pitch - let alone be the best player on it. By a considerable distance. 

When one of the ladies chested the ball down, the girls on the bench all shrieked. One said “oh I wouldn’t do that,” while another said the same thing about a header (a headed clearance earnt a round of applause from the bench too). 

What standard were you filming? Was it consensual? 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    I filmed a women’s game last week. They worked extremely hard and it was admirable how seriously they took it. Thing is, it’s rare to watch a game at any level where I can confidentially say I could take to the pitch - let alone be the best player on it. By a considerable distance. 

If you had been playing in that Manchester Derby you wouldn't have got a kick.

• Fantastic to see that the Manchester Derby had a record crowd of 31,000, 6 times higher than any other WSL crowd. Ok both teams are very wealthy, blah, blah, but good to see the interest created by the Women's World Cup is still there.
    Long may it last.
  • girls football is growing massively, my 2 eldest daughters both play - the eldest who's 12 plays and her side has 4 male coaches who all take it ridiculously seriously, too much so in my opinion that I'm thinking of pulling her out of it.

Granted they are a very good side, but aside from the actual manager who seems an ok bloke, the other 3 I've no idea what they do.....1 seems to be a proper cheating linesman (I called him out on a couple of decisions at the weekend and the ref changed her mind and he didn't like it) and 1 who likes to offer out Dad's from the opposing team in between abusing referees, you couldn't make it up. I'm not sure what they think they are doing or achieving?, they are a long standing large club and my guess is that those that run it have no idea what these blokes are like.
  • se9addick said:
    Even if they are handing out a large number of comps there will still be a very large number of paying punters in crowds of 35K or 40K. 
    Chelsea gave away 40,000 tickets.

Even costing nothing 15,000 didn’t bother attending 
  • edited September 2019
    And....... If they were playing in my back garden I would not look out the window. 
    How big is your back garden?
  • se9addick said:
    Even if they are handing out a large number of comps there will still be a very large number of paying punters in crowds of 35K or 40K. 

But that is the same with any comps tickets,surely? The fact that 25,000 did attend is the positive sign.
  • se9addick said:

How big is Chelsea’s stadium?!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:

Nice one. Get yourself down Goals next time they have blind football. Reckon you can make yourself feel good by comparing your apples to their oranges there too.

Pretty sure in the Manchester Derby you'd have been comfortably the worst player on the pitch, run ragged and not had a sniff

FFS, why can't people just see this as what it is - a sport with vastly differing levels of ability
  • Fantastic to see that the Manchester Derby had a record crowd of 31,000, 6 times higher than any other WSL crowd. Ok both teams are very wealthy, blah, blah, but good to see the interest created by the Women's World Cup is still there.
    Long may it last.
    Now beaten by yesterdays crowd of 38,262 for the Spurs v Arsenal game.