Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London and Kent Border (Sunday) League

I played in this league from about 1966 to 1976 and refereed on that league until 1980. This league amalgamated with another Sunday league in recent years, which demonstrates the numbers lack of Sunday players these days. At it's peak, I am advised that there were 137 teams in the LKB!

Thanks to a chance meeting on the recent Somme visit (Ian Wallis, former secretary of Addington Manor) , I have made contact with a Michael Burke, who seemingly dedicated his life to amateur football in general and to the LKB league specifically. Michael is shortly going to publish a book on the LKB League.

Thought this might be of interest to others on here who played in the LKB League.

Comments

• Played in this league soon after leaving school in '68. Played for a team called Ferry Rovers. One or two others on CL I believe who also played for them.

• Played in this league soon after leaving school in '68. Played for a team called Ferry Rovers. One or two others on CL I believe who also played for them.

Heathway and Walworth Argyle for me
  • Played for Borkwood Villa in the mid 70s,would be interested to read more
  • Played for Borkwood Villa in the mid 70s,would be interested to read more
    I am told that the book has been completed and publishing shouldnt be far off.
  • Played in that league too from about 1983 but we later loved to the Kent Suburban 
  • played for a few teams in this Well Hall United and Royce two I can remember 
  • Merged about 5-6 years ago with the Kent Suburban, now the London and Kent Suburban League.

Barely any divisions left I believe

• Used to watch walker sports when I was a kid, then played for well hall Utd and Lincoln 
  • Ran the line for well hall united I should have said 
  • Sunday football is a joke these days.

£150 for a pitch

£50 for a ref

plus kits, equipment, fines etc.  It's just not sustainable.

One team I know that play at Hall Place are charging £20 a game subs.  No wonder there are hardly any teams left.

• Sponsored links:

• I was charging £7 subs when i stopped running a team about 8-9 years ago. Had been a fiver for an eternity and I felt embarrassed asking for the extra.

no wonder no one plays anymore
  • I played in the LKB  from 1970 with Plumstead Pacific
  • PeterGage said:
    Played in this league soon after leaving school in '68. Played for a team called Ferry Rovers. One or two others on CL I believe who also played for them.

PeterGage said:
    Played in this league soon after leaving school in '68. Played for a team called Ferry Rovers. One or two others on CL I believe who also played for them.

Did you know George West at Heathway?
  • Man of Kent
    Proper  Charlton.
  • edited September 2019
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Lived in digs next door to George and Lesley with his father in cherry orchard. 
    I also played for Heathway.
  • T_C_E said:
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

I used to work with him, really nice guy George
  • Played in the LKB and Kent Suburban for a number of different teams in the 90s and 00s.
  • T_C_E said:
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

I used to work with him, really nice guy George
    Lovely guy, used to have big hair! 💂‍♀️
  • Played for the Woodman, which became the Who’d have thought it, during the 90’s. Played a few games for Plumstead Pacific when I didn’t have a game.
  • I was charging £7 subs when i stopped running a team about 8-9 years ago. Had been a fiver for an eternity and I felt embarrassed asking for the extra.

no wonder no one plays anymore
    The same for my old team, but we also had a £20 signing on fee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Who did you play for in Kent Suburban @Macronate ?
  • Ran the line for well hall united I should have said 
    Me too!
  • Pretty sure that was the league the team I played for - Garelli - was in. Deffo not top division! It was made up of schoolmates from our rugby- only school. Think I was the only Charlton fan who played in it. 
  • PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Yes, very well
  • T_C_E said:
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Real name please, if you played for Heathway, I should know you.
  • edited September 2019
    PeterGage said:
    T_C_E said:
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Real name please, if you played for Heathway, I should know you.

• Who did you play for in Kent Suburban @Macronate ?
    Slade Green Sportsman, late 90s/early 00s, had a very good side and came up against some very good sides. Got to a Kent Junior Cup Final in 99.
  • Sunday football is a joke these days.

£150 for a pitch

£50 for a ref

plus kits, equipment, fines etc.  It's just not sustainable.

One team I know that play at Hall Place are charging £20 a game subs.  No wonder there are hardly any teams left.

WTF...that’s ridiculous...😳
  • Supposedly getting people active but people having to pay these costs is ridiculous. In my day a lot of people played Saturday and Sunday. 
  • Used to watch walker sports when I was a kid, then played for well hall Utd and Lincoln 
    Broke my leg playing for Walker Sports in 1978. Then took up refereeing in 1978
    only retired as a referee two years ago aged 70. By the way I went to school with Peter Gage.