Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Feels great to be a Charlton fan right now

The start we've made this season is completly unreal and I'd never expected that.

Our squad isn't the best but the fight, belief and determination will beat some of the teams. Look at Stoke for example, the first 11 is worth more than ours and they have good quality players like Thomas Ince, Jack Butland and Joe Allen but we out played them for most of the 2nd half.

Bowyer is right when he said 'we'll surprise teams' as we've made good examples of that already.

Long may it continue!!!

The next set of fixtures will be interesting though..if we can get good results against the likes of Swansea and Leeds then..wow!

Comments

• Best feeling I have had for years,at last we have a squad who look like they are enjoying their football and are playing for the shirt.Difficult games to come,but really looking forward to the challenge,hope we get some 20000 plus crowds.
  • The whole team has belief and that feeling filters through to the fans 
  • Don't get carried away... This is Charlton after all. Promising start but bigger tests to come. 
  • Shame we have an international break this weekend, would have been nice to have kept the momentum going because there really is a feel good factor that I’m sure we’re benefiting from.
  • It's magic... I am trying to squeeze every drop out in case the wheels come off...

... but personally I can't see it , with Bowyer in charge

• edited September 2019
    The biggest risk to all this is the Belgian buffoon.
    This. It’s great but always worried where the next Belgium own goal is coming 
  • I'm happy that we're competitive in a league where I thought we'd be relegation candidates. We have a half decent squad assembled on a limited budget and a good team spirit - great credit to LB, JJ and Gallen.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    Why does he have to be mentioned on every single thread. This is a positive one and yet you still just can’t leave it. It’s completely unnecessary. 
    Because it’s an unavoidable fact. Anyone else feel as depressed as I did after the euphoria of Wembley to wake up to find the RD statement that Bowyer was leaving? Bowyer is the best thing that has happened to Charlton since Curbs, and the worrying thing is that RD does not realise what he has, and on a whim could just decide to dispense with it. He has form of selling our top scorers and all the while RD is in the chair, anything could happen, including things that are not best for Charlton.
  • The biggest risk to all this is the Belgian buffoon.
    Why does he have to be mentioned on every single thread. This is a positive one and yet you still just can’t leave it. It’s completely unnecessary. 
    Because it’s an unavoidable fact. Anyone else feel as depressed as I did after the euphoria of Wembley to wake up to find the RD statement that Bowyer was leaving? Bowyer is the best thing that has happened to Charlton since Curbs, and the worrying thing is that RD does not realise what he has, and on a whim could just decide to dispense with it. He has form of selling our top scorers and all the while RD is in the chair, anything could happen, including things that are not best for Charlton.
    I mean no offence, but you've been to The Valley once since 1992, so your depression needs to be taken into context.
    So is the fact my shit stinks but it doesn’t need to be brought up every 5 minutes.

99% of our fans know that Roland is an arsehole. 99% of our fans want him gone ASAP. But it’s boring to just keep repeating it. It’s not achieving anything and it’s not necessary. 
  • I also don’t think Roland would dispose of him “on a whim”. He’s got a track record of hanging onto staff for too long and players not long enough, not the other way round unfortunately (not unfortunate in this case obviously). 
    I mean no offence, but you've been to The Valley once since 1992, so your depression needs to be taken into context.
    None taken and I was quite surprised by the strength of my own reaction - as a cognisant Charlton fan since 1970 (my first trip to the Valley aged 5) you might have thought I would be well used to the ups and downs, including ground sharing and nearly being wound up, but it did make me realise we have n’t had a lot to cheer about since probably 2011.
  • I don’t know your story Evesham but to get such a strong feeling when bowyer might have left, I’m surprised you don’t get more strong urges to get to the valley and support the team 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I don’t know your story Evesham but to get such a strong feeling when bowyer might have left, I’m surprised you don’t get more strong urges to get to the valley and support the team 
    As I said, there hasn’t been a lot to cheer about since 2011! Thoroughly enjoyed the Madjeski last weekend though!
  • edited September 2019
    1st half against Forest and second half against Reading. Put them together and what have you got? Best in the League!
  • edited September 2019
    Whilst we’re in a positive frame of mind, are all Europa league games on a Thursday night?
  • Sponsored links:

Maybe because it's the truth & is what a lot people will be thinking
  • Off_it said:
    Do you live in a world of unicorns and pixie dust?

Or you just like having your head in the sand while your exposed arse gets fucked by a train?
    A train ???? Ouch
  • edited September 2019
    Whilst we’re in a positive frame of mind, are all Europa league games on a Thursday night?
    They are yes but Champions League games are played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
  • The most exciting thing is that all players are contributing, even players like Pratley and Pearce who didn’t end the season as first choices. They showed their experience in the final but didn’t get many starts between them in our good run. With Kayal and Hemed still to play much we could get even better. 
  • The most exciting thing is that all players are contributing, even players like Pratley and Pearce who didn’t end the season as first choices. They showed their experience in the final but didn’t get many starts between them in our good run. With Kayal and Hemed still to play much we could get even better. 
    Their performances show how players like them and Solly shouldn’t be written off.

None of them have pace and they won’t stand out for their technical ability, but all three are intelligent and very committed. Put good players around them and they’re capable of playing their part in a successful side.
  • Scoham said:
    The most exciting thing is that all players are contributing, even players like Pratley and Pearce who didn’t end the season as first choices. They showed their experience in the final but didn’t get many starts between them in our good run. With Kayal and Hemed still to play much we could get even better. 
    Their performances show how players like them and Solly shouldn’t be written off.

None of them have pace and they won’t stand out for their technical ability, but all three are intelligent and very committed. Put good players around them and they’re capable of playing their part in a successful side.
    On a bad day I think we will see the likes of Solly, Pearce and Pratley look totally inadequate, whereas I can't imagine that to be the case with players like Kayal and Field. But yes I do agree, they can't be written off as those solid experienced types really help the more talented flair players around them. I think we have managed to find a nice blend which will hold us in good stead. 

• Couldn't find anywhere else to put this. Shows how clinical we are in front of goals compared to other teams. 

Our shots are taken from far better positions than other teams (less pot-shotting from outside the box) and our conversion rate is extremely high from them.
    That's what I have been thinking. Said / shown so much better than I could. Each time LL's statbank comes out it shows in different ways we have a great conversiion rate from shots to shots on target to goals compared to the opposition. That is an unbelievable graph. I thin they call that an outlier (sp sorry). It would be interesting to dig into why this is. Is it Lee and coaching or is it simply LT baby. Bleedin brill though.

• Couldn't find anywhere else to put this. Shows how clinical we are in front of goals compared to other teams. 

Our shots are taken from far better positions than other teams (less pot-shotting from outside the box) and our conversion rate is extremely high from them.
    An excellent use of xG if I do say so myself. Might post this in the Championship xG thread just to annoy all the people that don't like it...