Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Suddenly feeling very positive about this season

I posted after deadline day that I felt we had an outside chance of making the playoffs, which got quite a few LOL's at the time.  With the signing of Oztumer, the potential arrival of Hemed & the quality loans signed last week, is it really that unrealistic??

I accept we still have a small squad, but if we have a bit of luck with Injuries, our first 11 will beat a lot of teams this season.

I think we have a chance

Comments

• although we have grabbed 6 points they are against teams that have spent money and the sqauds do not really know each other yet - agree we played well on Saturday i just think our defence if tested will leak a few. 

imperative to get points on the board early doors. 

having watched us saturday i am now happy to go 13-16th which i will consider a success
  • edited August 2019
    On the ones and twos -

https://youtu.be/VcxjNQxf0Uo
  • There is a chance, I am looking upwards rather than down based on the signings, even better if we can get Hemed through one day in the near future.

I would still snap someones hand off for a top half finish, its still far too soon we have played 4% of games and we started well last time we were relegated, so that is in the back of my mind.

• although we have grabbed 6 points they are against teams that have spent money and the sqauds do not really know each other yet - agree we played well on Saturday i just think our defence if tested will leak a few. 

imperative to get points on the board early doors. 

having watched us saturday i am now happy to go 13-16th which i will consider a success
    We may not have spent the money but we also brought in a lot of new players and we've still managed to get results.

The defence on the other hand we hope that a few games playing together will see improvements.
  • It's way too early to predict anything at the moment. As the old saying goes "Let's wait and see until after 10 games then we will have a better idea" (or when we have played everyone at least once. Against Aston Villia, it didn't bother me. I thought it was great to play them and see what we are up against in this league. On the Monday a Villa fan on there reckoned we will finish about mid table. This league has changed a lot since we were last in it.

However, although our defence is not great, we do have more of an attacking team this year with goalscorers in them and a hard working side. I came away after the game Saturday (and even during the 2nd half) thinking "Yeah we will be ok" which I didn't feel against Villa. That was of course before Cullen, Leko and Gallagher playing for us and Anneke went off injured against Villa. Saturday we had no Hemed. no Field etc either. I have not felt this good since the Curbs days (and of course since Chris Powell).

I think we will finish mid table, beat Millwall once this year and draw the other), and depending on injuries and suspensions we may finish higher and suprise a few people. 
  • edited August 2019
    Its a very impressive midfield we now have and if Hemed comes in to partner Lyle we should score plenty of goals. What troubles me is looking at the defence. If I'm honest I think we’ll concede too many to push into playoff contention. Think its going to be a rockin season though. Hope im wrong about defence.
    Agree.

Defence could be our weak spot.

Upfront we're very reliant on Taylor at present unless Hemed joins and Leko kicks on.

Ten games in is usually a good time to judge how we're going to do.
    My hope is that the LB/JJ coaching combo improves and tightens our defence as we go along. It worked for Naby and Purrington last season and Lockyer looks the type of player who can learn. If we can tighten up at the back then who knows but I just doubt it. Winning 5 - 4  every game would do I suppose 😉
  • This is just the moment when Charlton strike and destroy all of the newfound hope and optimism - roll on 2-0 to Barnsley tomorrow!
  • se9addick said:
    This is just the moment when Charlton strike and destroy all of the newfound hope and optimism - roll on 2-0 to Barnsley tomorrow!
    You're forgetting the Bow Factor
  • Sponsored links:

• For me the bottom was when Bowyer walked. After he signed I generally felt better, at least until I thought Taylor was going. I do feel a lot better than this time last year.
  • We've got a fairly big squad now but it will take time to bed them. Also it will take Bow and JJ a few games to figure out their strongest starting 11. Let's see where we are after about 12-15 games. Take a draw tomorrow.
  • Two wins against teams I expect to be lower half this season, lets not get carried away.  Our squad looks better than i had expected but still has plenty of inexperience and I don't see us anywhere near the play offs
  • Personally I was always confident that we would do ok this season,play offs ,well,maybe a bit ambitious but who knows.With regards the defence,I think we defend ok,the problems come when we play the ball out,this is a disaster waiting to happen.I was very concerned about corners and set pieces,as we are not a particularly tall side,but we did defend them very well against Stoke.
  • Rossman92 said:
    Oddly enough, our defence was the first part of the pitch sorted this summer and until last week, our midfield was paper thin. Now on paper we may have one of the best midfield's in the league and our defence is a question mark. Funny old game
    I think “one of the best midfields in the league “ is stretching it a bit!!
    competitive at least 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Oddly enough, our defence was the first part of the pitch sorted this summer and until last week, our midfield was paper thin. Now on paper we may have one of the best midfield's in the league and our defence is a question mark. Funny old game
    competitive at least 
    "On paper"
  • edited August 2019
    Two wins against teams I expect to be lower half this season, lets not get carried away.  Our squad looks better than i had expected but still has plenty of inexperience and I don't see us anywhere near the play offs
    You expect Stoke to be lower half this season? Really?
  • We’ve had to put-up with some right old guff in recent years, so the idea of actually being positive and having some expectancy is almost beyond us.

So I’m going down the route of let’s just enjoy the moment, get all Billy big boots, and smash this tin pot league as my youngest would say.

(I thought we were going to annihilate Forest Green , and am fully aware of how quickly Charlton can bring you back down to earth!).
  • For all the transfer fees , wages and big squads , a good manager and back room staff, good momentum and team spirit and support can make up for that. I reckon we are in with a decent shout if lady luck shines on us injurywise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two wins against teams I expect to be lower half this season, lets not get carried away.  Our squad looks better than i had expected but still has plenty of inexperience and I don't see us anywhere near the play offs
    You expect Stoke to be lower half this season? Really?
    Yep. I agree. They really struggled  last season when Jones came in. Think they only won 2 games under him in half a season. Hes brought in his players and they've not won yet. Their fans have high expectations. Lose the next one and the fans could start to turn. Atmosphere could turn nasty pretty quickly and it's hard to get out of that mindset even with managerial changes etc. 

I like Jones and want him to do well there just not sure it's the right fit.

Also don't think their squad is as strong as some say. They have some fairly big name players for the level but they don't seem to be working for the team. Unlike us who will end up with a side greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm a big fan of cousins but to use him s an example. He started their first game and was on the bench against us. Wouldn't even be close to the bench if he was in our squad 
  • This was always going to be a high risk thread.  Not really appropriate to express such feelings especially the day before a game, two games into a season. It tempts fate. Better to just quietly take the 3/1 the bookies are offering for tomorrow with a little 'told you so' stake, nothing more than 20-50p is enough, and enjoy the satisfaction of that should it win, moving on to the next game. It's about not getting too down when we lose or too excited when we win. No-one needs to risk losing face going about things the Charlton way.
  • I feel we need to be 16th by Christmas so we can survive the loss of Taylor in the winter.
  • Rossman92 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Rossman92 said:
    competitive at least 
    "On paper"
    It’s still stretching it a bit! Competitive and great promise I would say. On paper in a couple of years and it could look incredible

On paper we have:

- Cullen..... unproven at this level 
    - Oztumer..... unproven at this level
    - Gallagher..... unproven at this level
    - Field....... young and not played many games at this level 
    - Williams - QUALITY
    - Pratley - getting on a bit. Solid workhorse at this level but realistically the top teams wouldn’t be falling over each other to have him in their line up 
    - Kayal - Potential to be good. Got a promotion. Is he as good as he was then? Hopefully but let’s see.
    Forster Caskey - needs to get fit
  • Still think that staying up would be an achievement, and would take 4th from bottom if you were to offer it to me know, lets just get to 50 points and take it from there.
  • edited September 2019
    BUMP 

So , anyone changed their mind? 
  • I think we may stay up. 
  • I had a feeling we'd have a good season after watching the stream of the Stoke game. I missed the win against Blackburn.

One of the biggest differences is we much more quality in midfield compared to previous years. When did we last have such a good mix of skill, creativity, energy, mobility, strength and goals? And we haven't even seen Kayal yet, who Bowyer and Brighton fans rate very highly.
  • edited September 2019
    Before the influx of players I feared for our survival but it seems unlikely that a relegation battle is going to happen. Don’t think we will get top six once the bigger teams hit their stride. 

Big danger for our season will be january. Could easily lose, Cullen, Field, Gallagher and possibly Leko to being recalled. Taylor could leave. That would seriously impact us.
  • edited September 2019
    Squad depth is looking great, am desperate to see Oztumer get a run of games.