Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stay Out Number 20, Your Time Is Not Up.

A quick word for Chris “Seven” Solly today, showing once again that rumours of his demise are very much exaggerated.

Been reading on here for three seasons now that he is finished, can’t play two games a week etc. but can’t say I’ve ever seen the major problems with him. 

Not the flashiest of fullbacks but my word he knows his craft and does the simple things so so well. There was a moment today where Puscas, a much bigger player, was challenging Solly for a high ball. It was 70:30 against Sols but he just expertly levered Puscas out of the way and chested it forwards around the other side of Puscas, before advancing down the line and playing a simple ball inside to set another attack on its way. It was pure class from a player who is criminally undervalued by some of our fans.

He is looking just the same player at Championship level as he did in League One, which, to my mind, is just fine. 

Comments

• Was great today. Oshilaja has done well but was pleased to have Solly back. 
  • I still worry when he has the ball at his feet, as I believe he does not have the best passing or vision.

However thought his defending today was tremendous. They tried to attack down his side a lot and were just met by a brick wall.
  • He knows all the short cuts.......which is a gift that comes to many old pros.
    Jorge Costa was a great exponent of that part of the defenders craft.
    Still only 28, so not sure he even qualifies as an ‘old pro’ yet. He’s certainly streetwise though. 
  • best I've seen him play for a while. he hardly made a tackle but what he did do superbly was shepherd the winger out wide every time and not let them get a decent ball in
  • He knows all the short cuts.......which is a gift that comes to many old pros.
    Jorge Costa was a great exponent of that part of the defenders craft.
    Still only 28, so not sure he even qualifies as an ‘old pro’ yet. He’s certainly streetwise though. 
    Been playing for the best part of a decade now so I guess he counts as am "old pro" from an experience point of view even if he is younger than me (and now I feel really old.)
  • Your***
  • Ross said:
    Your***
    Hangs head in shame. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Love Chris Solly
  • Was going to ask about he did today, so pleased to read this thread. 

I think it's a matter of record that he has no cartiliage left, or something like that, otherwise  I am sure he'd be in the FAPL right now. 

I love Chris Solly, he has been a fantastic  - and loyal - player for us, and if he is able to do a job for us in his division without harming himself in a way he may regret in later years, then every such game is something to celebrate. 

Sounds like I've got another reason to celebrate tonight then...
  • I'm hoping he finally gets a goal at the Valley this season. Ideally against Millwall for a 90th minute winner coup de grace of a new record 9-0 win.
    Fixed for you.
  • He isn’t as good as he was 6-7 years ago, when he had great speed and could really get forward.  I’m delighted that he can still perform though; useful squad player and great character to have around .
  • He was excellent today. We know he can't play every game, but he is an asset to the squad.
  • He was excellent today. We know he can't play every game, but he is an asset to the squad.
    I think this is a bit of a myth. If I’ve counted up correctly, he played Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday seven times last season. 
  • I think his injury has to be managed. 
    I think this is a bit of a myth. If I’ve counted up correctly, he played Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday seven times last season. 
    He might not be needed to play every game though. We've seen already that Bows will manage game time for older Pros in order to keep them fresh ...... versus Forest in mid-week, he took out skipper Pearce and Pratley. 

Okay, one reason might have been to change the gameplan for that specific match to counter Forest's set up, including more mobile players with a better passing ability. Yet for the next game 3 days later, both players were restored to the starting lineup.

And we could very well see the same 'player game management' with Sols.

• I think his injury has to be managed. 
    Yes but I think that is more a training thing, than a missing games thing.

Oggy Red said:
    He was excellent today. We know he can't play every game, but he is an asset to the squad.
    He might not be needed to play every game though. We've seen already that Bows will manage game time for older Pros in order to keep them fresh ...... versus Forest in mid-week, he took out skipper Pearce and Pratley. 

Okay, one reason might have been to change the gameplan for that specific match to counter Forest's set up, including more mobile players with a better passing ability. Yet for the next game 3 days later, both players were restored to the starting lineup.

And we could very well see the same 'player game management' with Sols.

Not being needed and not being able aren’t the same thing though. Assuming no injuries or major loss of form, we’ll probably only see Dillon, Lockyer, Purrington, Cullen and Taylor never rested or rotated. 

• Sponsored links:

• he's still a quality right back, i've seen very few opponents in the last 4-5 years who have a better defender at 1 v 1 that Sol's.

He does have to manage his injury, receives injections that effectively injects some fake cartilage, well something like that.

He's got a few years left yet.
  • He has never been a weak player for us. Those who regularly come out and say that his place needs to change, he doesn’t have it anymore etc are generally just attention seeking comments to cause a stir IMO
  • Good thing Bowyer is not as sentimental as you lot. The number 2 shirt is still vacant until LB finds an outstanding player to fill it. 
  • Good thing Bowyer is not as sentimental as you lot. The number 2 shirt is still vacant until LB finds an outstanding player to fill it. 
    No one is saying Solly will be first choice all season, just that those who wrote him off are continuing to be proved wrong.

Solly’s always worn 20, the shirt number means nothing. Had Bowyer taken 2 away from Solly you’d have a point.
  • edited September 2019
    A good defender but not the best going forward. Played well today & mostly snuffed out their attacking threat.

However, both Dijikstel & Oshilaja offer(ed) more attacking wise. Cant see Solly making the triangle of passes with Aribo & Taylor at Wembley that set up Purringtons goal or getting into the box like the aforementioned do (did) to set up goals.

Your right it is, because Solly wears 20
  • He was excellent today 
  • It is a monitoring thing. There will be times when he can play two games in a week, clearly. And also times when he needs a rest.