Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reading v Charlton | Sat 31 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | Official Match Thread

Might be a bit early but thought I'd but one up now ready for teams being announced @ 2pm

Players have arrived at the Madejski Stadium though, Aneke visible in the usual video but no sign of Hemed in there

Keeping him and Kayal under wraps perhaps as no Lapslie seen either

Comments

• 15 players in that video, if I can count, so potential for Hemed to be there still
  • 15 players in that video, if I can count, so potential for Hemed to be there still
    Should be eighteen in a squad... Lapslie wasnt there either
  • Hemed on bench
    No Kayal
  • Phillips
    Solly Lockyer Pearce Purrington
    Field
    Cullen Gallagher
    Williams
    Taylor Leko
  • Here's the team that we can easily understand:

Charlton: Phillips, Pearce (C), Lockyer, Solly, Purrington, Field, Cullen, Gallagher, Williams, Taylor, Leko

Substitutes: Amos, Aneke, Pratley, Sarr, Hemed, Oztumer, Lapslie

• Midfield may lack a bit of bite without Pratley.

• And from the OS:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d6a5f152c4a1/team-news-solly-and-aneke-make-their-return-while-oshilaja-misses-out-through-injury-for-reading

Chris Solly returns to the Charlton side for this afternoon's game against Reading at The Madejski Stadium, while Chuks Aneke returns to the bench. Deji Oshilaja will miss the fixture after picking up a knock in the game against Brentford last weekend.

The Addicks will be looking to continue building momentum with their strong start in their return to the Championship, having not recorded a loss in the league thus far, when they take on the Royals. Fans can follow the game live on Valley Pass. International fans can watch the game live from as little as £5, while domestic fans can listen to the game from £4. For more information click here.

Sam Field will start for Charlton while Darren Pratley moves to the bench as Charlton look set to stick with their 4-diamond-2 formation which has proved successful so far.

Dillon Phillips will start in goal with Tom Lockyer, Ben Purrington, Chris Solly and skipper, Jason Pearce, in front of him.

The midfield will consist of the in-form Connor Gallagher, Josh Cullen, Sam Field and Jonny Williams while Lyle Taylor and Jonathan Leko will lead up front.

Ben Amos, Chuks Aneke, Darren Pratley, Naby Sarr, Tomer Hemed, Erhun Oztumer and George Lapslie fill the bench

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    From what I have seen from Field on the match day pitch I do not feel like he has done enough to warrent getting picked in front of Pratley. 

In my head I am a bit worried that Bowyer is feeling pressured to play him as he is a loan signing and we have this reputation in developing them.

However as usual, in Bowyer I trust.

• Southbank said:
    Midfield may lack a bit of bite without Pratley.
    He'll probably be used in the last 20 minutes to steady the ship.

• edited August 2019
    From what I have seen from Field on the match day pitch I do not feel like he has done enough to warrent getting picked in front of Pratley. 

In my head I am a bit worried that Bowyer is feeling pressured to play him as he is a loan signing and we have this reputation in developing them.

Do we have to play Field perhaps as a condition of his loan arrangement? Cant see how he deserves to be ahead of Pratley on merit.
  • Halix said:

Do we have to play Field perhaps as a condition of his loan arrangement?
    Well I don't think so as that seems a stupid clause to have in any loan contract in case they turn out to be an absolute dud. But I guess to keep getting good quality loan signings in, we need to be seen to be continuely developing the ones we have.

Now not that I believe Field has been bad, anything but, I just feel like Pratley has not really put a foot wrong. In a game away from home his experience and ability to be a nusciance is so valuable.
  • Halix said:

Do we have to play Field perhaps as a condition of his loan arrangement?
    Well I don't think so as that seems a stupid clause to have in any loan contract in case they turn out to be an absolute dud. But I guess to keep getting good quality loan signings in, we need to be seen to be continuely developing the ones we have.

Now not that I believe Field has been bad, anything but, I just feel like Pratley has not really put a foot wrong. In a game away from home his experience and ability to be a nusciance is so valuable.
    Yeah Id be inclined to do the opposite to how we've used them over the last two games... i.e. When @ the Valley play Field as he seems to have a better range of passing; away from home we can play Pratley for the experience and because you'd expect us to be under more pressure
  • Southbank said:
    You haven't seen Sam Field then ?
  • From what I have seen from Field on the match day pitch I do not feel like he has done enough to warrent getting picked in front of Pratley. 

Field did absolutely fine against Forest. I'm sure Bowyer will interchange between the two of them.
  • Talal said:

Field did absolutely fine against Forest. I'm sure Bowyer will interchange between the two of them.
    I totally agree. Field was part of that sensational first half against Forest, and also put his body on the line at the end of the Brentford game.

However if everyone is 100% fit, and we can play our best XI before an international break, I personally do not see what Pratley has done wrong to warrent to be benched.

That being said I am not privvy to training, the tactics Bowyer is playing today, and how he feels we match up against Reading etc etc.

• From what I have seen from Field on the match day pitch I do not feel like he has done enough to warrent getting picked in front of Pratley. 

Good on the ball though.  I know DP has done well but i’m very relaxed about him not playing every game
  • Sponsored links:

• Field was awesome in that first half against Forest. Looked far better than Pratley even though Darren has been very good himself this season and in the playoffs 
  • Right now it’s Pratley in games where we know we’re going to be on the back foot and Field in games where we can assert ourselves. 

Pratley is also 35, I think he’s been very good but we can’t expect a 7/10 from
    him every week.
  • Good afternoon from a very sunny Bangalore, good luck to those in Red shirts. 100% from those on the pitch and in the stands, we can ask no more. :)
  • Surrounded by some very confident Reading fans
  • I imagine the reason it's field over Pratley is age and man management 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Right now it’s Pratley in games where we know we’re going to be on the back foot and Field in games where we can assert ourselves. 

Pratley is also 35, I think he’s been very good but we can’t expect a 7/10 from
    him every week.
    He has done well for a 36 year old
  • Southbank said:
    That midfield four are better known for other attributes ahead of tackling and aggression, but it’s definitely not a lightweight or soft midfield.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!