Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pink Floyd

Absolutely no Charlton/local area connection, unlike The Who or The Rolling Stones, but thought there might be a fair few fans of the mighty Floyd on here and that they deserved their own thread in the not sports related section.

Went to the 'Their Mortal Remains' exhibition which is on here the other other day, the one that was previously on in London a couple of years ago and it was incredible. Anyone on here see it in its London run? Thought it was so well put together and it really covered the band's history perfectly. Such innovators, both musically and visually.

Anyone on here see them live? Never got the chance myself but the footage I've seen looks amazing. Favourite albums, eras of the band etc?

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Yes, I saw them at The Cow Palace in San Fransisco.
    April 1975.
  • My favourite Album is Wish you were here
  • I saw them on the Division Bell tour at Earls Court, fantastic show. You couldn't get tickets for love nor money but my sister lived with one of the tour managers and got us some. My sis went on another night and went backstage after the show and met them all.

I like a lot of their stuff but have to admit that some of it can be difficult to listen to.

I met Nick Mason at the Goodwood Revival a few years ago (he's a massive classic car nut) and got him to sign my Wish You Were Here CD.

• edited August 2019
    The one I have never really got on with is The Final Cut - very hard going. Love a lot of The Wall but some of that can be a bit grim as well. Big fan of Animals.
  • edited August 2019
    saw the Floyd in the 'Bromley Court Hotel' in about 1966/67 .. they were still at the 'acid' stage with the psychedelic blow torch light show .. not seen them since .. they became a very different band with the demise of Barrett and the introduction of Gilmour .. went to the exhibition at the V&A .. enjoyed it .. I am not a really, truly big fan of the Floyd ever since a one time g/f of mine described their music as 'songs to slit your wrists to' .. mmmmm did she have a point ?
  • Wow @Lincsaddick - you saw them with the legendary Syd Barrett. Very different band to the later Floyd at that time.
  • Wow @Lincsaddick - you saw them with the legendary Syd Barrett. Very different band to the later Floyd at that time.
    Wow @Lincsaddick - you saw them with the legendary Syd Barrett. Very different band to the later Floyd at that time.

as I edited above .. I was 16/17, a Tamla/Soul fan just starting to appreciate Clapton, Hendrix and Jeff Beck .. the Floyd were a lil bit too 'avant garde, studenty, upper middle class posey' for me at that time
  • edited August 2019
    Saw part of the 1971 Crystal Palace Bowl concert.  Was at Earl's Court for the 1973 concert where they glided a plane over the audience...don't remember too much about that concert...  Saw them at Knebworth in 1975.  Still play Dark Side of the Moon occasionally and Wish you were here.  Wasn't quite so impressed with some of the later stuff - but did buy the Endless River.
    Saw the Australian Pink Floyd in Margate last year - they are probably the best tribute band and have been together nearly as long...
  • Would love to have seen them live, put on a real show.
  • Seen them three times. As with @snowinberlin Wish You Were Here is one of my top five albums.

Like Genesis, their live shows are so well played and produced that you could be just listening to the studio album.
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw the exhibition in London a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Bands simply don’t put that sort of effort into the imagery aspect of their music/releases anymore 
  • Big Floyd fan myself. Saw them at Earls Court '94...if I remember correctly they had 20+ nights there before moving on ......
  • The one I have never really got on with is The Final Cut - very hard going.

Very much a Walters album
  • Saw them around 71/2 at Randwick Racecourse, Sydney Australia.

Can’t really remember much other than it being hot and a large gong on stage.

Always loved them and particularly the Division Bell album.
  • My favourite band, after The Rolling Stones of course!

There body of work is immense and their four albums, every two years from 73-79 - Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall are all masterpieces. Add to that arguably the greatest debut album ever with Piper (in competition with Court of the Crimson King) and you have a legacy made by music Gods.

I've seen Walters and Gilmour separately live, but never as Floyd back in the day. A regret.

• BDLBDL
    edited August 2019
    Absolutely no Charlton/local area connection, unlike The Who or The Rolling Stones, but thought there might be a fair few fans of the mighty Floyd on here and that they deserved their own thread in the not sports related section.

Went to the 'Their Mortal Remains' exhibition which is on here the other other day, the one that was previously on in London a couple of years ago and it was incredible. Anyone on here see it in its London run? Thought it was so well put together and it really covered the band's history perfectly. Such innovators, both musically and visually.

Anyone on here see them live? Never got the chance myself but the footage I've seen looks amazing. Favourite albums, eras of the band etc?
    Took my eldest to the V&A, he was blown away by the exhibition and the final "event".

Saw them twice, post Walters, at Wembley and Earls Court and seen Dave Gilmour at the Albert Hall.

WYWH is my favourite album. Have the Hyde Park Live 8 Bootleg on yellow vinyl! For all its faults, that was such an iconic event to get them all together after everything that passed.

Lots of tribute bands around - Brit Floyd/Aussie Floyd - were one and the same but had differences so split! Both excellent. Think Floyd often do the rounds and are very good too.
  • 28th October 1994 at Earls Court will never forget it!
    Would loved to have seen them while they still had the two Rogers in the band, but I was born too late for that...
    Animals and Meddle are my favourite albums, but I love the 60's stuff aswell :)
  • Division Bell my favourite plus Pulse. 
  • Did see Roger Waters live at Glastonbury in I think 2002, which was incredible - especially the quadrophonic speaker sound!
  • Did see Roger Waters live at Glastonbury in I think 2002, which was incredible - especially the quadrophonic speaker sound!
    My Brother in law went to see Waters, he said he was good all apart from some lengthy political rant at the start which slightly ruined it
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    I saw them in 1973 at Earls Court, then later that year at The Rainbow, once more at Wembley Arena in '74, and finally at Knebworth in early '75. 

Fell out of love with them in '76 when I realised I preferred live music to pre-taped stuff.
  • My favourite Album is Wish you were here
    My favourite song is Wish You Were Here
  • Also saw them at Earls Court, I’m guessing ‘94 as so many here say they did a lot of shows that year. I seem to remember there was an accident (on the first night?) where the seating collapsed, and I’m pretty sure we went the following night.
    Not sure if I’m misremembering this, but I think they were unable to do one of the parts of the show because of the accident, so they played Astronomy Domine instead. Which was amazing.
  • Saw the Oz Pink Floyd last year. Very much 6/10.

What got me was people buying their CD outside after the gig !

• Thanks to a couple of older lads who were neighbours, they were the first band I really "got into", aged about 9. The whimsical stuff on Piper was what first caught my imagination I guess. This would have been about the time Dark Side came out, and I recall loving that - more so than the less accessible Meddle and Atom, though I have grown to love both along with just about everything else they have done.

Outside rockabilly undoubtedly my favourite band.     
  • Anyone seen Nick Mason's new band Saucerful of Secrets? They've been touring recently with their show of early psychedelic era Floyd, quite randomly with Spandeu Ballet's Gary Kemp in the Syd Barrett role.
  • edited August 2019
    I went to theV&A exhibition, really enjoyed it. Over the years I’ve seen floyd and the Aussie floyd on numerous occasions, The Wall at Earls Court the first.
    Last year I saw Nick Mason at the Round House doing his,ASaucerful Of Secrets tour, which was probably one of the best gigs I’ve been to in years. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    I saw them in 1973 at Earls Court, then later that year at The Rainbow, once more at Wembley Arena in '74, and finally at Knebworth in early '75. 

Fell out of love with them in '76 when I realised I preferred live music to pre-taped stuff.
    I think 74 was the gig I saw, they played Echoes for the 2nd half of the gig?

never been my favourite band but have many of their albums ... the recent stuff is pretty good. 
  • For me personally I regard the Wall as their last Album.  To be honest I haven't listened to much of the Final Cut and everything since was a Guilmor solo project, not really my cup of tea