Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Athletic

US-based sports website The Athletic has now launched over here in the UK.

It's basically a subscription-based website with dedicated and unbiased coverage, with no ads. Interestingly, lots of the big names in football journalism in this country (Oliver Kay, Amy Lawrence, Raphael Honigstein, Jack Pitt-Brooke, Michael Cox etc) have handed in their notice at their current publications to join, so there is no arguing the fact that the standard of journalism is going to be top drawer, althouhg inevitably I'm sure there will be a heavy focus on the PL.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/the-athletic-launches-in-the-uk-with-focus-on-local-coverage-of-premier-league-football-teams/

https://theathletic.com/1079638/2019/08/05/what-to-expect-from-the-athletic-in-the-uk/

An interesting concept, and I wonder how it will impact football journalism over the coming years. Price-wise it's about £60 for a year's subscription but you can get a launch offer of 50% off.

Comments

• Tempted by the cheap first year, quality of writers is exceptional
  • Rothko said:
    Tempted by the cheap first year, quality of writers is exceptional
    Same here. I'm keen to understand how coverage of the Championship (and L1/L2) will work (and how much of it there will be).
  • Reading the links there would appear likely to be a dedicated Charlton correspondent.
  • Reading the links there would appear likely to be a dedicated Charlton correspondent.
    If so I'd pay for it but I'm not really sure if anyone would pay if their club isn't covered
    https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/the-athletic-uk-full-list-of-staff/

Doesn't seem like it here?
  • Sounds interesting, great name too!
  • edited August 2019
    I'm not going to pay for this nonsense. Mendez and Cawley, in my opinion, do a fine job covering Charlton via South London Press. The Independent, The Guardian and The New York Times all do free football stuff that can be top notch.
    Why pay £9.99 a month for just football coverage when I can pay the same amount to The Times or The Daily Telegraph and get much more.
    Plus, The Athletic haven't managed to recruit top footballing journalists such as Jonathon Wilson, Henry Winter, Sam Wallace, Jonathan Northcroft, Rory Smith etc
    It's a load of b*llocks in my opinion.
  • I'm not going to pay for this nonsense. Mendez and Cawley, in my opinion, do a fine job covering Charlton via South London Press. The Independent, The Guardian and The New York Times all do free football stuff that can be top notch.
    Why pay £9.99 a month for just football coverage when I can pay the same amount to The Times or The Daily Telegraph and get much more.
    Plus, The Athletic haven't managed to recruit the top footballing journalists such as Jonathon Wilson, Henry Winter, Sam Wallace, Jonathan Northcroft, Rory Smith etc
    From the link I've seen it's £30 a year and doesn't just cover football
  • edited August 2019
    I'm not going to pay for this nonsense. Mendez and Cawley, in my opinion, do a fine job covering Charlton via South London Press. The Independent, The Guardian and The New York Times all do free football stuff that can be top notch.
    Plus, The Athletic haven't managed to recruit the top footballing journalists such as Jonathon Wilson, Henry Winter, Sam Wallace, Jonathan Northcroft, Rory Smith etc
    From the link I've seen it's £30 a year and doesn't just cover football
    That's for an annual subscription at the special introductory rate. It's £9.99 a month (or £60 for an annual) once the introductory rate is over.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been a subscriber for their American sports coverage since basically launch. Its well worth the money. My only issue is they publish too much content! That and their podcast player is pretty rubbish, no playlists, it plays the next (older) podcast after an episode finished rather than any newer one.
  • Journalists made a mistake when the internet first started by giving away their profession for free which was always a mistake. 

Wondered how long it would take them to try to monetize. 
  • Have been interested in this since it was announced, especially given the obvious investment in writers.

As well as the half-price first year subscription, there's a free month's trial.

Have signed up today and will see what it's like, and will either cancel before 4 September or go on to pay the £30 for the year.

• If you're interested in reading an example of what going to be in The Athletic, this long read on Liverpool and it's ownership is a cracking start

https://theathletic.com/1089599/2019/08/07/the-inside-story-of-fsgs-love-affair-with-liverpool-and-the-boston-red-sox/ 
  • There is a 30 day free trial (and the half price annual offer runs to the end of August). From what I've read so far there is a lot of really good stuff, definitely tempted to take it out for the year.
  • Definitely tempted by this, quality of journalism by the big media outlets is very poor and I've heard nothing but good things from those in the states who use the Athletic.
  • There is a 30 day free trial (and the half price annual offer runs to the end of August). From what I've read so far there is a lot of really good stuff, definitely tempted to take it out for the year.
    You on commission? 
  • I've subscribed to the US version and the writing is top-notch. 
  • They’ve just brought Muddy Knees Media, who do the Totally Football Show with James Richardson.

and they are offering 30 days free if you use this link, we’ll worth it

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    Something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark (or, in this case, Humberside). We have some terrible owners but Hull’s allegedly trying to renegotiate players’ contracts days before the recommencement of the season takes the biscuit. The players’ morale - already hugely damaged by 13 games without a win - must be absolutely at rock bottom.

I have some sympathy for their manager but only a smidgen. In this brutal game of musical chairs, we need every conceivable advantage coming our way in order to avoid the drop.
  • I've had a subscription from the start. Many outstanding writers and really in-depth coverage. So much to read, and so little time to read it. Have already read some excellent coverage of the Charlton ownership issues.
  • edited September 2020
    https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro90?source=vodafone_epl_launch

Link above to a 90 day free trial (usually 30 days), if anyone is interested! 
  • They're currently doing £1 a month for 12 months

http://theathletic.com/subscribe

Showed as 3 months for me initially so I had to open it in a new browser to get 12, clearing cookies probably also works 
  • They're currently doing £1 a month for 12 months

Showed as 3 months for me initially so I had to open it in a new browser to get 12, clearing cookies probably also works 
    When I went on my account to renew it was already listed there as an option. I do like the Athletic but tbh I don't use it as much as I thought I would, for £12 for a year it's easily worth it for me.
  • colthe3rd said:
    They're currently doing £1 a month for 12 months

When I went on my account to renew it was already listed there as an option. I do like the Athletic but tbh I don't use it as much as I thought I would, for £12 for a year it's easily worth it for me.
    I feel the same. The writing is very good but without a Charlton reporter I'm just not interested enough in the other stuff to justify the full (or even slightly discounted) price.

£12 a year is a no brainer to read the occasional piece though. 
  • Same here, I do read a lot, especially the NFL coverage, and they are really good for Broncos stuff, so used a different email address and shifted to the £1 a month deal, cheers @Leeds_Addick for the heads up 
  • I enjoy The Athletic, struggle to get through all the content TBH 
  • Anyone still subscribed to the Athletic?

They have a 50% off deal at the moment so a years subscription is £30, have heard good things about it so thinking about subscribing but just wondered what the general consensus was from those who subscribe?
  • edited December 2021
    I’ve got a subscription, some truly excellent stuff on it and for what works out to be £2.50 a month is a bloody good deal right now.

They cover a range and I have found some journalists are better than others but that might be also down to my tastes and interests.