Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Championship football - the difference in class

More of a first day shock for the premiership relegation teams than the L1 promotion teams. A little early season complacency lesson to be learned ?, for us as well ?, if you don’t give the opposition 100% respect they will punish you for it. Believing you can win is one thing, not giving the game 100% for 96 minutes or more is another. Stoke up next, we need to not be complacent on or off the pitch. As the boys kept repeating last season, we go again. 

Comments

• edited August 2019
    I think Pratley's job was to keep Dack quiet which he did well. Apart form a soft goal for them, the four best chances were ours and they only had 2 attempts on target. What Bowyer needs to work on is to stop teams dominating us with possession. It was a given that would happen, but the defence did well and we were sharp when chances came. We know the character we have in the side and a couple more additions and we will be ok. We will face better teams than them I suspect though.
  • We’re going to lose matches that’s certain but I doubt many will be down to complacency or lack of effort. Bowyer / Jackson have installed a fantastic work ethic and team spirit. I should add that there won’t be very many teams fitter than us either.
    Which, in my opinion has been our downfall in most of my years watching Charlton. 
  • That's why the likes of Pearce and the underappreciated Pratley are so important.
    Both brilliant yesterday
  • Teams will have a lot more possession than us... The difference between what teams achieve against us is what they do with the ball and how disciplined we are

Yesterday proved we're going to be tight at the back, certainly didnt see a heavy loss like many predicted pre-match and certainly dont see it happening at any point this season - If we lose it'll be by a maximum of two goals and thats only ever happened the once under Lee Bowyer (when we lost 5-3 to Scunthorpe) so even that tells you the mindset he'll have

My only real concern now is when we come up the true big boys; Stoke will be one of them next week, they'll have the likes of Nick Powell and Benik Afobe and Sam Vokes the latter two will be different to the Strikers we had to deal with against Blackburn as they'll be more than a match for the strength we saw from Jason Pearce in his Man of the Match performance, the good thing he has his own experience so dont see it all going Stoke's way

Just frustrating in a way that we saw; Queens Park Rangers | Millwall | Wigan all winning themselves yesterday, defeats for them would have given us an instant 3-pt headstart
  • That's why the likes of Pearce and the underappreciated Pratley are so important.
    I wont be surprised if Pratley is better in the Championship than he was last season

In League One there are too many teams who are happy to get into a scrap so Pratley would often lose battles against players all too happy to fight him

The Championship is far more technical and see players wanting to avoid the heavy tackle that Darren will enjoy

i.e. Take Barnsley v Fulham; was amazed at the lack of fight in the latter, players would go down under the slightest of challenges and wouldn't rush to get back up
    I wont be surprised if Pratley is better in the Championship than he was last season

In League One there are too many teams who are happy to get into a scrap so Pratley would often lose battles against players all too happy to fight him

The Championship is far more technical and see players wanting to avoid the heavy tackle that Darren will enjoy

i.e. Take Barnsley v Fulham; was amazed at the lack of fight in the latter, players would go down under the slightest of challenges and wouldn't rush to get back up
    That’s why you sign players who want to step up and prove they are good, not ones that failed to prove they are good and still think they are premiership players. They’re not, they were relegated last season because they weren’t good enough and now they are in the championship by default, not merit. 

That’s why you sign players who want to step up and prove they are good, not ones that failed to prove they are good and still think they are premiership players. They’re not, they were relegated last season because they weren’t good enough and now they are in the championship by default, not merit. 
    Yeah that last bit worries me about Fulham to an extent... Can't imagine Parker letting it slide for long but too often their players would hit the deck and look to the ref for a foul rather than getting up and getting on with it - If they dont sort it out then they're not going to be in contention for instant promotion back to the Premier League thats for sure
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Going behind in games will be a big problem. If we have to chase things we could get mauled.

But...we can also break well if the oppo have to chase us.

How we deal with a bad run of form is key too. 4 or 5 games is one thing but a bad run of 10 or 11 is when you've had it.

On the occasions we are in good form, we need to capitalise on it....and take points off rivals (whoever they end up being). 

Nothing is for certain in sport...and especially not in The Championship. 
  • to digress a leetle bit .. the overall standard in the EFL has improved exponentially over the past 5 seasons or so. Academy trained youngsters both at 'small' clubs and those released from the 'big' clubs as well as well chosen (as well as some not so well  chosen) imports from across the globe have had a tremendous impact on the skill factors throughout the pro game.

I'd go so far as to say that the contemporary top clubs in L1 would have held their own against the top Prem clubs of a few years ago. Just an opinion, alas there is no time machine available to test out my theory
  • Simonsen said:
    Going behind in games will be a big problem. If we have to chase things we could get mauled.

How we deal with a bad run of form is key too. 4 or 5 games is one thing but a bad run of 10 or 11 is when you've had it.

On the occasions we are in good form, we need to capitalise on it....and take points off rivals (whoever they end up being). 

I agree mate but to be honest, the same could be said for every team in the championship. 
  • edited August 2019
    Simonsen said:

That’s when team spirit and the fans are key. We are a team that went 1-0 down at Wembley to a farcical own goal. That would have broken a lot of teams and their fans. It didn’t break us.

as for a bad run of 10 or 11 games, we’ve been there with SCP and being 2-0 down early on to Cardiff in the 10th or 11th game was turned around by the Charlton fans. Any reversal has to be countered by an increase in support from the stands 
  • edited August 2019
    Teams will have a lot more possession than us... The difference between what teams achieve against us is what they do with the ball and how disciplined we are

Yesterday proved we're going to be tight at the back, certainly didnt see a heavy loss like many predicted pre-match and certainly dont see it happening at any point this season - If we lose it'll be by a maximum of two goals and thats only ever happened the once under Lee Bowyer (when we lost 5-3 to Scunthorpe) so even that tells you the mindset he'll have

My only real concern now is when we come up the true big boys; Stoke will be one of them next week, they'll have the likes of Nick Powell and Benik Afobe and Sam Vokes the latter two will be different to the Strikers we had to deal with against Blackburn as they'll be more than a match for the strength we saw from Jason Pearce in his Man of the Match performance, the good thing he has his own experience so dont see it all going Stoke's way

Just frustrating in a way that we saw; Queens Park Rangers | Millwall | Wigan all winning themselves yesterday, defeats for them would have given us an instant 3-pt headstart
    I think Bowyer will be looking to bring some players who will mean teams won't have more possession than us. Whether he can or not with the budget he has is another matter, but he will be trying to. Millwall are going a different way - bullying teams. I think this system can get found out but we shall see. It is a system that suits them I suppose. 
  • We will need 10 league games before we know where we are.
    Before yesterday I thought our best chance of staying up would be to pick up early points whilst the season is stabilising and then at the end of the season when hopefully we are playing against teams who are mid table.

The main reason I think we need those 4 or 5 signings is the likelihood of injuries through the season. 

One advantage we have is the club and players are assuming a relegation battle. Bowyer will have them fighting for every point with a battling mentality. Come the end of season a team or two will get dragged into the relegation fight who will not be mentally prepared for it.
  • Last season in the Championship, Ipswich were embarrassing and Bolton were a shambles on and off the pitch, but Rotherham gave it a good go, 100% effort and organisation but ultimately came up short due to their tiny budget and lack of quality.

At a minimum I'd expect us to be like Rotherham this season under Bowyer. 
  • Let's not forget the fixture list has been fairly kind to us.

Blackburn, Stoke, Barnsley, Forest, Brentford, Reading, Birmingham, Wigan.

Compare that to the games that immediately follow:

Leeds, Swansea, Fulham, Derby, Bristol city, WBA, Preston, Millwall, Cardiff.

Swap those 2 sets of games round and we could've been in a massive hole after 9 games. The first set of games are much kinder and gives us a chance to carry on last seasons momentum and get points on the board.
  • Being one of the favourites for relegation could suit us. Teams will attack us and we’re dangerous on the break. That’s before we’ve added Aneke and hopefully 4/5 signings to add to the midfield and attack. Imagine if we add a couple of quality midfielders who can win the ball and create chances, and pace and skill up front. Counter attacking is how Leicester won the Prem 3 years ago.
  • The top end of the Championship is obviously a much higher standard than League 1, but you only have to look at the stats for the newly promoted League 1 teams staying up in their first seasons to know its hardly impossible 
  • Sponsored links:

• We’re going to lose matches that’s certain but I doubt many will be down to complacency or lack of effort. Bowyer / Jackson have installed a fantastic work ethic and team spirit. I should add that there won’t be very many teams fitter than us either.
    Which, in my opinion has been our downfall in most of my years watching Charlton. 
    There will not be a better team spirit anywhere in The Championship......i can  assure everyone that to be 100% the case.
  • Chizz said:
    We've beaten everyone we've played this season.  So the Championship is an absolute doddle compared to last season in L1.  I hope the jump up to the Premier League is a bit tougher, because it's looking too easy so far. 
    All three promoted teams getting points on the opening day. This league is piss.
  • Only 2 people were bold enough to call yesterday’s game a win in the how many points will we get in August thread before the match was played, well done.

I think a lot of teams will underestimate us this season and it is very much a tipsy turvy league where top can beat bottom etc, all about showing a bit of form and consistency, like me dear nans bread pudding.
  • edited August 2019
    Only 2 people were bold enough to call yesterday’s game a win in the how many points will we get in August thread before the match was played, well done.

I think a lot of teams will underestimate us this season and it is very much a tipsy turvy league where top can beat bottom etc, all about showing a bit of form and consistency, like me dear nans bread pudding.
    I put us down for a 3-0 win in the pre match thread which technically was correct with Purrington, Taylor and Phillips all scoring but the only goal scorer I got correct was Taylor.
  • edited August 2019
    The Championship is significantly quicker according to sports scientist Josh Hornby.  Quite an interesting read here.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/triple-sessions-and-golf-course-runs-charlton-pre-season-uncovered