Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackburn v Charlton | Sat 03 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Blackburn Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 2nd August 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Woolmer (Northamptonshire)

Introduction
Remarkable isnt it… Just two months ago most of us were walking down Wembley Way, after three challenging years in League One we’d just witnessed one of the most memorable moments in our Charlton lives. For many of us the result just couldn’t sink in, we’d won promotion back to the Championship in the most dramatic of ways - Yet here we are, ready to go (well almost) in what is billed as the most competitive and most unpredictable Division in the world… Buckle up everyone, its gonna be one hell of a ride!!

The Opposition
Name: Blackburn Rovers | Manager: Tony Mowbray
Ground: Ewood Park

If there is one relief from the fixture computer it is that we open against a team who are beatable and may well be a rival of ours for finishing positions come May next year – Promoted from League One in 2018 they’ll be aware not just of our need to make a fast start but of second season syndrome which could be costly to Blackburn should they be too over confident this season!!

In the transfer market; money has been spent (despite the Venky’s still owning a 99% stake in the club)… £5m alone has been spent on Sam Gallagher - a striker of the same Academy that produced the likes of Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott – With just sixteen career goals to his name it’s a scary sign of the spending power available at this level, time will tell though if its cash well spent!!

Regardless with Tony Mowbray at the helm you’d expect Saturday to be a tough opener… We saw two years ago that they were a well drilled team in League One and have done well this summer to keep hold of Bradley Dack; who with sixteen goals to his name last season will surely be their main danger man. Yet with this being the season opener there is no form to go on, pre-season results are certainly no indication for any side!!

Charlton Team News
Two months can certainly be a long time in Football yet for Lee Bowyer and Steve Gallen its clearly not long enough – The team that won promotion at Wembley has been partially broken up, loans have ended, players have been released, whilst Patrick Bauer (Preston North End) and Joe Aribo (Glasgow Rangers) despite receiving Contract offers from the club have decided to continue their careers elsewhere

On an ironic note though we go into Saturday with more squad depth than what we had this time last season - Signings have been made; Ben Purrington | Jonny Williams | Ben Amos have returned, with each being well aware of Sparrow Lane without the need of a sat nav… Replacements too have been found in the forms of Lockyer (Bristol Rovers) | Oshilaja (AFC Wimbledon) | Aneke (Milton Keynes Dons) | Bonne (Leyton Orient) with more bodies no doubt to come!!

Phillips
Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr
Solly | Williams | Pratley | Forster-Caskey | Purrington
Aneke | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Dijksteel | Oshilaja | Lapslie | Morgan | Bonne | Wiredu

Prediction
Ha… Trying to predict a result in the Championship is like asking a blind man to describe a piece of artwork – There will be games this season that will look hopeless yet we’ll come away with three points, there will be others that we’ll think we can win which’ll see us leave empty handed (Millwall cough!!)… Every week at this level will be a challenge; at this early stage it’s vital we get points on the board as soon as possible!!

Comments

• Good to have you back for the start of a new season FA.

1-1

• By the way, before anyone thinks me crazy for picking Solly over Dijksteel its partly because of the fact that Anfernee has only played 45mins of Football in the last two weeks (Colchester United) and barely played against Aston Villa - Yes I know it was Solly's testimonial but Bowyer still surely had to put the squad preparation for Blackburn first

Of course Aneke too could well be out for a few weeks so wouldnt be surprised if I'm not even close with my line up prediction
  • Despite the difficulties of predicting a result in the Championship I suspect this one will be fairly easy to call. Need an enforcer in midfield to get anything out of this game, it isn’t Pratley. 3-0 Blackburn.
  • I've missed these. Thanks FA
  • Hard to believe we are back already. How about a sneaky 1-0 away win - Taylor. 
  • Thanks for doing this again FA much appreciated. 
    It's going to be a struggle this season and early points  will be vital in keeping everyone optomistic. 
    1.1 Taylor penalty. 
  • 0-2 Taylor and Pratley.
  • 4-0 loss. First of many this season... :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• A comfortable loss, 2-0. We'll battle away and keep it respectable, but the desperate lack of quality and depth in attacking areas will tell.

Those loan signings are desperately needed
  • We are in for a rude awakening. Rovers are a bang average Championship outfit and they will spank us. 4-0 defeat. Genuinely believe that this season will be a total car crash.
  • Late goal costs us a narrow defeat 2-1 Blackburn
  • We are in for a rude awakening. Rovers are a bang average Championship outfit and they will spank us. 4-0 defeat. Genuinely believe that this season will be a total car crash.
    This ... although I think it’ll be closer than 4-0. But not much closer 
  • Perhaps we should recall and put out our young team currently playing in Ireland. Who yesterday beat Man Utd 2-0, at least they looked a well-balanced side!

• Chuks Aneke confirmed as being absent for Saturday
  • Phillips
    Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr
    Dijksteel, Pratley, JFC, Purrington
    Williams
    Taylor, Bonne

Going to be backs to the wall for a lot of it but I think they’ll find a way, 1-1 Bonne.
  • edited August 2019
    A pleasantly surprising 1-0 win. But real backs to the wall stuff...Sarr hits hits the post 3 times trying to recreate the play off final own goal - his final attempt is so hard it rebounds all the way up the other end of the pitch and in to the Blackburn net for the winning goal. He has to be substituted shortly after because his head has gone.

Page substituted after 15 mins with a chipped finger nail. 

• Sponsored links:

• 3-0 Charlton, Taylor announces himself to the Championship, Bonne off the mark and a no nonsense net buster from Pratley
  • 3-0 Blackburn. We are well out of our depth at the moment.
  • Phillips
    Dijksteel Lockyer Pearce Sarr Purrington
    Pratley Forster-Caskey
    Williams
    Taylor Bonne

Amos Oshilaja Solly Morgan Lapslie Wiredu Doughty

(Bowyer said we can fill the bench for this game and the players are fitter than this time last year, but unless we sign Harriott and at least one loan before noon tomorrow I can't think of who else can go on the bench!)
  • edited August 2019
    Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Djik  Pratley JFC Purrington
    Williams  Morgan
    Taylor

• 4-0 Blackburn 

Bowyer is an exceptional manager, but this is a League 1 squad at best.
  • Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Williams  Morgan
    Taylor

I actually think this line up looks good but it’s almost settling for a 0-0 from kick off
  • Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Williams  Morgan
    Taylor

I actually think this line up looks good but it’s almost settling for a 0-0 from kick off
    I would bite your hand off for 0-0 away at Blackburn with our squad!
  • 2-0 or 3-0 all day long.why don’t you fuck right off Roland Wembley a long way off I fill sick to the bone.
  • The most pessimistic I've ever felt at the start of a season. Will be pleased if we lose by a tight margin and don't capitulate.

I will be very worried if we suffer a heavy defeat......