Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cyclists / electric scooter users

I see the law being broken all the time in London and lots of dangerous behaviour yet nothing gets done. It seems accepted that road laws don't apply to bicycles and scooters and police turn a blind eye.

A lot of cyclists insist on using pacements/paths rather than the road and show no regard for pedestrians - some of them appear to think they own the pavement. Electric scooters although illegal are allowed to speed about wherever they want despite their lack of safety.

Should the police be doing more?

Comments

• Vehicles on the road kill cyclists and scooter users regularly.
    Therefore cyclists and scooter users seek safer options.
    Many of them proceed like utter bastards with regard to pedestrians, as do drivers on roads when for example turning, or when pedestrians want to cross, or are crossing.
    All road users with wheels can behave like bastards, however some are much more lethal than others.
  • The week before last pcso's and the Police were at the traffic lights in Greenwich town centre for 3 days catching  cyclists doing the lights, riding on the pavement etc.
  • 'light blue touch paper and retreat'

• I nearly got ran over this morning, by a car driver on their mobile, who probably if they had hit me, killed or seriously injured me. 

As for electric scooters, they will be made legal at some point this year, and the police attitude at the moment is that as long as they aren't ridden recklessly they'll do nothing, and anyway, resources are needed elsewhere. 
  • Electric scooters are illegal? That seems like a ridiculous decision.
  • seth plum said:
    Vehicles on the road kill cyclists and scooter users regularly.
    Many of them proceed like utter bastards with regard to pedestrians, as do drivers on roads when for example turning, or when pedestrians want to cross, or are crossing.
    All road users with wheels can behave like bastards, however some are much more lethal than others.
    The question is why are road laws not applied to cyclists and electric scooter users? Motorists are hammered continually yet police and authorities turn a blind eye to clowns on two wheels?

Why are cyclists/scooter users allowed to break the law without fear of prosecution?

Obviously cars/lorries are more dangerous but are we saying two wheelers are exempt now?
  • seth plum said:
    The question is why are road laws not applied to cyclists and electric scooter users? Motorists are hammered continually yet police and authorities turn a blind eye to clowns on two wheels?

Why are cyclists/scooter users allowed to break the law without fear of prosecution?

Obviously cars/lorries are more dangerous but are we saying two wheelers are exempt now?
    Cyclists get stopped all the time, see it every day in Aldgate, either by the Met or CoL police, and usually for good reason
  • seth plum said:

They're not.
  • Rothko said:
    I nearly got ran over this morning, by a car driver on their mobile, who probably if they had hit me, killed or seriously injured me. 

As for electric scooters, they will be made legal at some point this year, and the police attitude at the moment is that as long as they aren't ridden recklessly they'll do nothing, and anyway, resources are needed elsewhere. 
    Electric scooters and bicycles are ridden recklessly in Central London and in general nothing is done. If a disabled or elderly person gets knocked over on the pavement or a crossing by a reckless cyclist or scooter user is this okay?
  • seth plum said:

I suppose it is about priority of danger. Deal with the Howitzers more than the Catapults even if both are undesirable.

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

They're not.
    Maybe I'm missing something - never see the police taking any action although @Baldybonce says he has.
  • .cyclists being nickedType your comment
  • seth plum said:

They're not.
    Maybe I'm missing something - never see the police taking any action although @Baldybonce says he has.
    Many examples of the police stopping cyclists can be found here - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=police+cyclist 
  • And anyway, Electric Scooters should be legal in the next few months, and then the likes of Lime and Bird will be all over the major cities like they are in the US and large parts of Europe
  • Rothko said:
    And anyway, Electric Scooters should be legal in the next few months, and then the likes of Lime and Bird will be all over the major cities like they are in the US and large parts of Europe
    And how will the law be applied regarding safety - London's roads/pavements are patently not set up for it.
  • .cyclists being nickedType your comment
    Good.
  • edited July 2019
    I've been working in the same area (Bishopsgate) for about 12 years now and in that entire time I have seen cyclists being arrested, or even spoken to, by police on maybe 2 or 3 occasions, yet I see them blatantly breaking the law multiple times every single day. These twunts just ride straight through crowds of pedestrians on pedestrian crossings and then get all arsey when anyone says something.

Cyclists should be licensed and insured at the very least in the same way as motorists. They should probably also be taxed but that goes against current thinking on transport so unlikely to happen.

EDIT- That being said, I do also have sympathy for cyclists as many pedestrians are so focused on their bloody smartphones that they lack any form of awareness (or even survival instinct).
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:
    I've been working in the same area (Bishopsgate) for about 12 years now and in that entire time I have seen cyclists being arrested, or even spoken to, by police on maybe 2 or 3 occasions, yet I see them blatantly breaking the law multiple times every single day. These twunts just ride straight through crowds of pedestrians on pedestrian crossings and then get all arsey when anyone says something.

Cyclists should be licensed and insured at the very least in the same way as motorists. They should probably also be taxed but that goes against current thinking on transport so unlikely to happen.
    Agreed - their anonymity shouldn't protect them. Motorists don't have it.
  • I think the public bicycle hire scheme in London should carry a government health warning in much the same way as a packet of cigarettes does.  A few statistics like the ones below and maybe some graphic photographs of accidents.  At least that would be honest in highlighting the risks involved.

Incidentally, quite an interesting view Cyclists: Scourge Of The Streets?  Recently aired on Channel 5, can still be viewed on catch up TV. 

• Can we include the new dickhead on the block?

The scooter riding takeaway delivery rider. 
  • Can we include the new dickhead on the block?

The scooter riding takeaway delivery rider. 
    The cycling takeaway riders near me refuse to use the road and insist on cycling flat out on the pavement - it's a miracle they don't hit people. I look forward to scooters joining the ranks.

I'm.assuming they're all insured.
  • I think the public bicycle hire scheme in London should carry a government health warning in much the same way as a packet of cigarettes does.  A few statistics like the ones below and maybe some graphic photographs of accidents.  At least that would be honest in highlighting the risks involved.

Incidentally, quite an interesting view Cyclists: Scourge Of The Streets?  Recently aired on Channel 5, can still be viewed on catch up TV. 

Regarding accidents it would be interesting to determine the cause. A lot of Britain's roads are really never going to be safe for motorists and cyclists to share.

I stopped cycling in central London after working on an orthopaedic ward and seeing the level of cycling injuries - some were pretty awful.

Not all accidents are down to motorists - there are some cyclists who don't have road sense and those who take too many risks. Not sure what the solution is?
  • Scooters, electric or otherwise, should smashed up on sight. They are the most ridiculous mode of transport for an adult to ride.

Just my opinion, but I don't know a single person who would disagree.

• Scooters, electric or otherwise, should smashed up on sight. They are the most ridiculous mode of transport for an adult to ride.

It's an age thing - they fit a particular profile.
  • I had a year or two of commuting on a little foot-scooter. When I moved back to SE London it obviously became a nonsense and was given its last dues. But it worked very nicely when I was just travelling around West London, and it kept me active 

If you're including motor scooters of historic nature (Lambretta/Vespa etc.) Or indeed modern 'twist 'n' go' scooters (they're scooters not mopeds if over 50cc) I could introduce you to several thousand individuals who would disagree.

Look on the bright side, how many of those that died recycled their organs?