Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Packed stadium silencing away team goal

Watching  South Africa score against Egypt in the 85th minute (African cup) silencing a stunned stadium, I was trying to think of other examples.

Me..?
Close to home was Iran's equaliser vs Australia in Sydney 1998 (world cup qualifier play off, Iran needed a draw).
For some reason I was filled with middle eastern solidarity (coupled with revolt at Aussie jingoism) and secretly supported Iran.
And then in the dying minutes after Australia should have been about 6:1 up, the equalizer went in...
My secret was out and I remember being chased round the garden by an a fuming brother in law... 

Has Charlton ever done that..?

Comments

• Come again?
  • Video link please?
  • Luton banning away fans in the 80's.
  • I remember watching the old home internationals in the late 70's when England were away at Hampden Park, cannot recall much noise when England scored

• Harry Kane's 92nd minute equaliser against Scotland a few years ago. Scotland had just taken the lead with two quick goals and bang.

I thought the volume on my TV had broken because of the silence. The only thing better then that was seeing Gordon Strachan's reaction after the goal. 
  • Sunderland v Newcastle- no away fans. 
  • Spurs at Ajax this season?

I think Torres against Barca?

My Sunderland supporting mate said you could see the net buldge when we scored then after what seemed ages they were hit by a massive roar.  Slight tangent 
  • What was the atmosphere at Wembley like in 1993 when San Marino scored the opener?
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure, but I think they went 1 up in San Marino 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Spurs at Ajax this season?

My Sunderland supporting mate said you could see the net buldge when we scored then after what seemed ages they were hit by a massive roar.  Slight tangent 
    Hate that at home games at the Valley...goes quiet for what feels like ages but you register the goal with your eyes...then the noise (amplified by a silent home crowd) hits you. 

Almost worse than when it happens at aways because of the contrast between the silenced home stands and distant noise from the Jimmy Seed.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

And the end of the Man City v Spurs 1/4 final too...when the Ethias went mad when they thought Sterling had won it until the ref went to the VAR...

• cblock said:
    Not sure, but I think they went 1 up in San Marino 
    But the point @Stig is making is that there was absolute silence form the England fans at Wembley when that goal went in, in San Marino. 
  • When Preston went one up in the 1975 promotion game at The Valley, there was total silence. Then Bob Curtis missed a penalty and it somehow got even quieter 
  • Just remembered that 2014 semi final in Belo Horizonte. Well, silent night really...
  • Cafc43v3r said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuB9NJvAVQA
  • Chizz said:
    cblock said:
    But the point @Stig is making is that there was absolute silence form the England fans at Wembley when that goal went in, in San Marino. 
    If we are being pedantic San Marino scored in Bologna, which isn't in San Marino.

“Welcome,” the radio commentator Jonathan Pearce said as the game kicked off, “to Bologna on Capital Gold for England versus San Marino with Tennent’s Pilsner, brewed with Czechoslovakian yeast for that extra Pilsner taste... and England are one down.”
  • I wasn't making a point so much as asking a genuine question. I watched the game from home, but popped around the corner to get a Chinese. I knew it was a risk that I'd miss a goal but didn't think we'd concede. When I came in and found we were a goal down I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I suspected Wembley would have been silenced but didn't know that.
  • Think from memory stig, it was a back pass that bobbled on the pitch, was it Richard Wright in goal?   Went very quiet in the house I was watching from, at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• When Preston went one up in the 1975 promotion game at The Valley, there was total silence. Then Bob Curtis missed a penalty and it somehow got even quieter 

Remember it well - turned out OK in the end though!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chizz said:
    cblock said:
    If we are being pedantic San Marino scored in Bologna, which isn't in San Marino.

“Welcome,” the radio commentator Jonathan Pearce said as the game kicked off, “to Bologna on Capital Gold for England versus San Marino with Tennent’s Pilsner, brewed with Czechoslovakian yeast for that extra Pilsner taste... and England are one down.”
    I used to love his Capital Gold commentaries. No London game was too pony to be giving live billing. 

"Goal news, Valiants fans", I can still hear him saying as he went around the grounds. You could tell if we had conceded as he seemed to say it with more gusto. 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Didn’t hear a peep out of Sunderland after 94 mins 😜
    To be fair it was pretty quiet our end in the 5th minute
  • cblock said:
    Think from memory stig, it was a back pass that bobbled on the pitch, was it Richard Wright in goal?   Went very quiet in the house I was watching from, at the time.
    Richard Wright in 1993??

David Seaman i always thought.