Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• For what it's worth, the step free bridge at Denmark Hill requires a really long walk (if you are not mobile and hence, er, need the step-free bridge).  To the point that when I've needed to walk with a stick, it's quicker and less tiring to go slowly and painfully up the stairs.  Not everyone who needs step-free is in a wheelchair.  And don't get me started on the ridiculous vastness of London Bridge...
  • Signed.
  • Signed
  • Thanks everyone.

Not only is the architectural history important but how will fans get to and from the Radical on match days?
  • Signed.
    Such a mess made of Denmark hill and anything like that is bound to be a great disappointment.
  • Thanks everyone.

Not only is the architectural history important but how will fans get to and from the Radical on match days?
    Keeping people away from the Radical would be doing them a favour. 
  • Signed.

It's important that we conserve historical structures and artifacts that have merit or group value.
    Once they are gone, they are gone. And today we are the guardians to conserve for future generations - who may truly value their worth in years to come.

Regarding Plumstead station, I'm astounded that Network Rail are totally disregarding the community voice.
    Network Rail basically want to raze the station to the ground and replace with their 'generic one-size fits all' replacement and at huge cost.

Not only is there a viable published alternative that conserves the historical structures, but it also provides all the benefits that Network Rail say are necessary - and at significantly lower cost.

Network Rail ....... destroying history and wasting huge sums of money at a station near you.

• Sponsored links:

• Signed, used to live five minutes from there when I was in short trousers and also played a few games for the Radical club in my teens.
  • DRAddick said:
    Thanks everyone.

Keeping people away from the Radical would be doing them a favour. 
    Keep the riff-raff away you mean.

The rad is a bit too upmarket for some.
  • Teslagirl, thank you. I use a stick and now need to stop and take a breather at Chip Shop Corner on the way from the station to the covered end upper. I haven't been to Plumstead station and have no idea of the issues but I do wish that infrastructure planners would realise that sometimes steps allowing a shorter distance are just as important as step free access for wheelchair users, people with prams etc. 

London Bridge is pretty much unusable for me now, and I suspect Crosarail stations will have similar issues if it ever opens. I appreciate that we have to build big for numbers, but sometimes it feels that we are being sent on a route march.
  • London Bridge station is basically now a shopping centre with a railway to one side.  And, as no indicators of 'other departures' on the platforms, if you need to change, you have to go down to the concorse, over to the indicator board/ find someone to ask, then back up again.  Even worse if you need to change for the tube.  And the staff are not by the bottom of the escalators if you do need to ask for help - it's a major trek to even ask for help with the trek.

The assumption that 'step free' seems to be used by planners/architects to mean 'wheelchair or buggy' completely ignores the probably larger group of us that just can't walk long distances.  Don't worry that it will take you an hour to change platforms; you go past all these lovely shops.  Or, in the case of Denmark Hill (and, presumably in due course, Plumstead), do enjoy getting wet if it's raining.

OK, soapbox away for the evening...
  • RedChaser said:
    Signed, used to live five minutes from there when I was in short trousers and also played a few games for the Radical club in my teens.
    I was not much more than 5 minutes from the Radical myself and was a member there from mid 70s to mid 80s. Always remember the Silver Jubilee in 77 when it was free all day but strictly members only, no guests. I think I was in there from 11.00am playing snooker through to about midnight with a function upstairs. I’m afraid I was very, very drunk!

• Reg Varney's first paid engagement was at the Radical club 
  • edited July 2019
    Step free at London Bridge extracts the urine massively - I was on crutches about a month ago, couldn't use the stairs and it took 20 mins to get from the Northern line to platform 2. Had to go all the way round the station. Also, the lifts are miles away from seating, it was absolutely exhausting. Absolute clueless design. Looks the same for Plumstead too.
  • Signed and forwarded on for hopefully more signatures
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed