Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad List - 15th July 2019

edited July 2019 in General Charlton
First Team Squad
Goalkeepers 
Dillon Philips 2021
(ed.) Ben Amos 2020

Right Backs

Anfernee Dijksteel 2020
Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Jason Pearce 2021
Naby Sarr 2020
Tom Lockyer 2021 - free transfer from Bristol Rovers

Left Backs
Lewis Page 2020
Ben Purrington 2022 - undisclosed fee from Rotherham Utd

Central Midfielders 
Jake Forster-Caskey 2020
Darren Pratley 2020
George Lapslie 2021
Albie Morgan contract length not known
Attacking Midfielders/Wingers 
Chuks Aneke 2021 - free transfer from MK Dons

Strikers
Lyle Taylor 2020
Macauley Bonne 2022 - undisclosed fee from Leyton Orient

U23 Development Squad
Goalkeepers

Nathan Harness 2020 - signed from Stevenage
Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2020
Joseph Osaghae contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Right Backs

Kenneth Yao 2020

Centre Backs
Toby Stevenson 2020 (estimated)
Dan Birch contract length not known
Sam Keefe contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Luca Vega contract length not known - signed from Ipswich

Left Backs
Jordan Zemura contract length not known

Midfielders
Taylor Maloney 2020
Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu 2021
Ben Dempsey contract length not known
Alfie Doughty contract length not known
Jay Mingi contract length not known - signed from West Ham
Abraham Odoh - signed from Tooting & Mitcham following loan
Johl Powell contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Armando Quitirna Junior contract length not known
James Vennings contract length not known - promoted from u18s

Strikers

Wassim Aouacheria 2020
Charles Clayden contract length not known - signed from Leyton Orient
Kareem Isiaka contract length not known - promoted from u18s
Wilberforce Ocran contract length not known

Comments

• Worth a promote
  • edited July 2019
    A squad of 22 is a good place to aim but I think 18 plus Lapslie and Morgan is far more realistic with having a couple of players fill in multiple positions. When have we ever got everything we wanted?

I can see Chuks being our fourth striker as well as a midfield option. I can also see a Bielik-like replacement come in who can play both centre back and defensive midfield. Semi Ajayi?

Right now that leaves us five short of the realistic 18+2 number.

I’d expect to see one be a keeper.

So we’re needing to go out and get three more midfielders and one more striker.

Would people be happy with for example Amos, Ajayi, Cullen, Williams/Oztumer and a striker (Nketiah?) to complete the window?
  • Could you argue that Jake Forster-Caskey is the Aribo or Cullen replacement though @Scoham?
  • edited July 2019
    I was counting Lapslie and Morgan as part of the 22. Assuming there's no takeover then yeah I think it's more likely to be more like 5/6 more signings. That would then see versatile players having to cover a couple of positions as you say and probably a couple of u23s getting more involved.

Could you argue that Jake Forster-Caskey is the Aribo or Cullen replacement though @Scoham?
    Yeah, though we'd still be looking for 7/8 midfielders in total.
  • Given a choice I'd go for Oztumer over Williams on goals but would like both. So different players.
  • It'll be interesting who (if any) of the U23s went to Spain with the first team (other than AMB as the second keeper) as that would suggest who Bowyer thinks is closest to stepping up
  • A squad of 22 is a good place to aim but I think 18 plus Lapslie and Morgan is far more realistic with having a couple of players fill in multiple positions. When have we ever got everything we wanted?

I can see Chuks being our fourth striker as well as a midfield option. I can also see a Bielik-like replacement come in who can play both centre back and defensive midfield. Semi Ajayi?

Would people be happy with for example Amos, Ajayi, Cullen, Williams/Oztumer and a striker (Nketiah?) to complete the window?
    No... I wouldnt

If Amos | Ajayi | Williams / Oztimer are signed it'll surely be on permanent deals

Cullen and Nketiah will only be two loan spots meaning we'll have three places in the team left unfilled, especially as Bowyer has said that he intends to use all five loan spots
  • It'll be interesting who (if any) of the U23s went to Spain with the first team (other than AMB as the second keeper) as that would suggest who Bowyer thinks is closest to stepping up
    Pretty sure I counted 15 players in a wide-shot, so no U23.
  • edited July 2019
    It'll be interesting who (if any) of the U23s went to Spain with the first team (other than AMB as the second keeper) as that would suggest who Bowyer thinks is closest to stepping up
    Pretty sure I counted 15 players in a wide-shot, so no U23.
    We'll find out on Thursday with the friendly against Gaz

Bowyer has mentioned that his players will get 45mins each so must be a couple more unless Bowyer and Jackson are taking part as we're six short else
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a few photos here on the OS. Anyone spot a trialist or u23 player?

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d1a050695a2b/in-pictures-day-one-in-spain
  • 4 midfielders plus Aneke.  Lapslie and Morgan in an ideal world would both head to L1 for a seasons loan to go get 30+ games under their belts.  JFC is just back from a year out.  Pratley is a squad filler (decent enough but you would not want to be relying on him).  

If we were run with ambition we would be looking for 5-6 more midfielders alone - Beilik, Cullen, Williams plus another 2-3
  • edited July 2019
    Morgan will be on Prem radars b4 season is out. Key player. New Aribo. 10+ goals.
  • A squad of 22 is a good place to aim but I think 18 plus Lapslie and Morgan is far more realistic with having a couple of players fill in multiple positions. When have we ever got everything we wanted?

Very much agree with that but why do you say Ajayi? Is there a rumour linking us with him or are you just using him as a random example? Just haven't heard anything about him coming to Charlton
  • Think people have kind of forgot about Reeves. He will need replacing as he played a far more important role than maybe people remember.

Still need another 7, I would say at least, and that’s mainly midfielders.
  • Morgan will be on Prem radars b4 season is out. Key player. New Aribo. 10+ goals.
    Absolutely no chance.

A handful of appearances near the end of the season with clubs unaware of him does not make him capable of getting anywhere near double figures, that’s even to say he will be involved and regularly.

Lots to learn, lots to improve. There are also many far better and accomplished young players out there than young Morgan right now.

Good, promising youngster, but no chance of your statement.
  • Nine appearances, Statbank 9th including one top three. Admits his fitness was lacking. Better players out there, yes. Bit player this season, no. Play-off starter as chosen by Bows.
  • edited July 2019
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    A squad of 22 is a good place to aim but I think 18 plus Lapslie and Morgan is far more realistic with having a couple of players fill in multiple positions. When have we ever got everything we wanted?

Very much agree with that but why do you say Ajayi? Is there a rumour linking us with him or are you just using him as a random example? Just haven't heard anything about him coming to Charlton
    Haven’t heard anything - just on my wish list and he’d be a good fit in a position that we need to fill. He’ll probably be on the move but not to us.

Stand out performer for Rotherham last season and won Championship player of the month in March. He was their top scorer from a defensive role and probably wouldn’t cost too much either (but still too much for Roland’s budget).
  • I can see 5 more coming;

1 GK (Amos?)
    1 CB/DM (Bielik?)
    1 CM (Cullen?)
    1 CAM (Williams?)
    1 CAM/CF (Oztumer?)

Given the circumstances, I’d be happy with that, if we don’t get Cullen or Bielik, the replacements for them are vital. 
  • Ideal world from that I woukd like:

Gk, RCB, CDM, CM, CM, 10, 10, St, St. 

Suspect in reality the RCB/CDM will be the same player (particularly if we can attract Bielik back). Also reckon it will be 3 from the 2 10s and 2 strikers depending on where we see Aneke playing. 

Amos, New, Bielik, Cullen, Prem loan, Oztumer, Williams, Nkietah, Eaves. Would be amazing although dont reckon many of them are within reach. But we will see if that changes near the end of the window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ideal world from that I woukd like:

Gk, RCB, CDM, CM, CM, 10, 10, St, St. 

Suspect in reality the RCB/CDM will be the same player (particularly if we can attract Bielik back). Also reckon it will be 3 from the 2 10s and 2 strikers depending on where we see Aneke playing. 

Amos, New, Bielik, Cullen, Prem loan, Oztumer, Williams, Nkietah, Eaves. Would be amazing although dont reckon many of them are within reach. But we will see if that changes near the end of the window.
    Yeah that'd be the dream tbh. With that squad we'd have a good chance of staying up, but tbh I can't see Eaves, Nketiah, Cullen or Bielek signing. 
  • @Scoham. I thought I'd read somewhere that Dan Birch had not been retained? Also wasn’t sure about Ben Dempsey but only on the basis he disappeared from u23 in last 2 months of the season.
  • @Scoham. I thought I'd read somewhere that Dan Birch had not been retained? Also wasn’t sure about Ben Dempsey but only on the basis he disappeared from u23 in last 2 months of the season.
    Neither were mentioned on the list of players released
    You might be right, I’m only going off the released list. Could they have been missed or left during the season?

It does look like we have too many midfielders in the u23s. I guess we’ll find out at some point in the next few months.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf0065f3f3ab/released-and-retained-list-addicks-offer-new-deals-to-bauer-aribo-forster-caskey-and-fosu
  • Birch left the club in March, Zemura left at Christmas. U23s out in Spain are Brendan Sarpong-Wireu and Alfie Doughty.
  • Birch left the club in March, Zemura left at Christmas. U23s out in Spain are Brendan Sarpong-Wireu and Alfie Doughty.
    Looks like we lost Zemura to Bournemouth. Why didn’t the club mention it? Last mention of Birch I can find was when he was sent off while playing for the u23s in March. Did he go to another club?
  • Is that Taylor Maloney next to Naby?

• Didn't Taylor Malone go on the trip last summer?  Is he still around?
  • Sage said:
    Think people have kind of forgot about Reeves. He will need replacing as he played a far more important role than maybe people remember.

Still need another 7, I would say at least, and that’s mainly midfielders.
    I’ll miss his 50 touches before the pass and the wayward corners.

in all seriousness, he did play quite a lot of games