Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor will be a major success next season

We have a striker who is 29 years old and has not played at Championship level. Normally you would have doubts whether he can make the step up. I don't have any doubts that Lyle Taylor will be one of the stars of the Championship next season. His career path has not taken the conventional route, but I doubt there are many footballers as intelligent as he is. He has sufficient pace, he is very strong, and he can score and create goals. I think Championship defenders will find him as difficult to play against as League One ones. He is not conventional and is a major reason for us to be optimistic.    

Comments

• Love Lyle, but the championship is a tough tough league. Hopefully we get a midfield behind him that can support him and play to his strengths.
  • For someone, yes. 
  • Or, he will barely see the ball for long periods, get increasingly frustrated and allow himself to get into too many spats with opponents and refs and get more red cards than goals  ;)
  • He has loads of the prerequisite for success in any field of life .. confidence .. he'll do us proud next season 
  • Let's just hope it's for us. 
  • If he gets half the goals he did this season I would consider it a success.
  • It's not just about his ability to put chances away, it's also about the sides ability to create enough chances. Possibly, the less aggressive nature of the Championship will suit him better. If he gets in to double figures then he will go a long way to giving us a platform to survive.

• yeah its not going to be easy a lot of league 1 sides are made up with jouneyman defenders or players that would never play at championship level 

hope he can play aswell as this year as he doesnt have that many years left - hes slowly becoming a bit of legend
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    He is somebody clubs missed out on and joined the party late. My point is, he is a bit different from a journeyman player having his best spell. Although possessing different attributes, Ian Wright springs to mind who joined league football late. Taylor is quite unorthodox and I can't see many defenders relishing a battle with him, and he will make it a battle.
  • He is proper Charlton. 
    He can do no wrong. 
  • Some people and some players peak when they get a bit older.

We are all different.

LT is one of those. He is on his way up.

He is smart. He is competitive. He is honest and he is currently, a confident player.

It's in his hands.

The physical wind up merchant of the back 4....I promise you...it is a good thing and he should stick with it.

On top of that, he also scores goals and creates chances.
  • Would depend on the players around him, especially behind him. At the moment, I’m not sure. Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised when the Belgium Billionaire gives LB the cheque book. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    If he gets half the goals he did this season I would consider it a success.
    It would be a success, as 12.5 goals is impossible!!

Fair point, well made. 

Edited comment:   If he gets 52% the goals he did this season I would consider it a success

• I put Lyle at 12-14 goals this season.
  • se9addick said:
    However, my main concern is the quality around him, will we build a squad that gives him the opportunity to shine? 

That's the question really ..... will the quality of the team be good enough?

Lyle can't do it on his own. But the one thing Bows, Jacko and Gallen did last season, was to build a team in the true sense of the word.

If they can do that again this season, that'll be the platform on which Taylor can do his stuff.
    Taylor works hard anyway, quick enough with good feet and movement, brings others into the game - if he's sharp in and around the box, he'll score his share of goals if the team provide the chances.

Anyway, the team building isn't complete yet. First let's see who comes in to partner Lyle?

• I just hope he can live up to the high quality level of strikers I got to watch the last time we were in the championship. Simon Makienok, Simon Church, Marvin Sordell, Reza Ghoochannejhad, George Tucudean, Conor McAleny, Yaya Sanogo and Ricardo Vaz Te just to name a few. All belters and I hope Lyle can outperform them 

It's hard not to wince when you read that list. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    However, my main concern is the quality around him, will we build a squad that gives him the opportunity to shine? 

That's the question really ..... will the quality of the team be good enough?

Lyle can't do it on his own. But the one thing Bows, Jacko and Gallen did last season, was to build a team in the true sense of the word.

If they can do that again this season, that'll be the platform on which Taylor can do his stuff.
    Taylor works hard anyway, quick enough with good feet and movement, brings others into the game - if he's sharp in and around the box, he'll score his share of goals if the team provide the chances.

Anyway, the team building isn't complete yet. First let's see who comes in to partner Lyle?

Right - that’s why I said “will we”, I’m not saying we won’t and the first couple of signings so far look pretty positive (although I know nothing about them) but I would never, ever underestimate RD’s potential to pull the rug. 
  • edited July 2019
    I just hope he can live up to the high quality level of strikers I got to watch the last time we were in the championship. Simon Makienok, Simon Church, Marvin Sordell, Reza Ghoochannejhad, George Tucudean, Conor McAleny, Yaya Sanogo and Ricardo Vaz Te just to name a few. All belters and I hope Lyle can outperform them 

It's hard not to wince when you read that list. 
    That's why I don't get the question marks over some of our players, we had proper proper crap players putting on our colours last time we were up here, with the exception of JBG, Cousins, Gomez etc. The more this window the moves the less I am getting worried about going down. If we get someone like Herbie Kane, Amos, Williams, Oztumer, another solid defender and maybe one other mid and striker then I think I'll be disappointed if we go down. I'm looking around at all these other championship sides and they're hardly making good signings and some are losing their best players. Taylor is our best striker by a country mile since Yann and he will prove it this season 
  • edited July 2019
    Massive learning curve for all the players including Lyle. Some will make the transition with relative ease and others won’t have the extra needed. If push comes to shove I would guess Lyle will be good enough but to shine we will need the whole squad to be good enough. Next term will be tough.
  • He needs to do two things:-
    1:Keep his temperament in check like he did 2nd half of season.
    2. When he goes wide to collect a ball and lay it off to FB, rather than stand and watch a cross, needs to get back in the mixer.
  • I just hope he can live up to the high quality level of strikers I got to watch the last time we were in the championship. Simon Makienok, Simon Church, Marvin Sordell, Reza Ghoochannejhad, George Tucudean, Conor McAleny, Yaya Sanogo and Ricardo Vaz Te just to name a few. All belters and I hope Lyle can outperform them 
    Ah, who can forget Big Mac, my missus got her picture taken with him just before the welling preseason game, he’d just signed for us, hopes were high, we thought he was going to be the new Peter Crouch.

We were also having a family, see who can grow the tallest sunflower competition that year, I’m not sure who was taller, Big Mac or the sunflower.
  • Bet the sunflower could get its head on the ball better. 
  • His work rate is unreal, and I think that’s what’s going to keep his goal rate up. I’m convinced he’s got what it takes to go up a level. 
  • I think he might get more fouls given against him by championship refs. Last season I felt he got a bit mauled and tried to hard to mug the refs off. 

If he okays his normal game game the defenders even in championship will foul him and hopefully get penalised 
  • Just watched the interview above. Top man, top player and very intelligent and articulate an impressive individual that we are so lucky to have at our club.