Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reading away 31/8/19 advanced purchase train tickets

This one is lovely and easy.

There are approximately 8 trains an hour running from Paddington to Reading, likewise coming back.  The train takes no more than 35 minutes.

Tickets can be bought on the day, without a railcard the cost is £20.70 return, with a railcard the cost is £13.65 return.

For people that have not been to Reading before, there are shuttle buses outside the station taking you to the ground but you would need to be at the bus stop one hour before kick off to allow yourself ample time to avoid missing the start.

There is a decent boozer at the station, but absolutely zero by the ground.

Comments

• There’s something really soulless about the entire Reading away experience, from the soulless town full of chain pubs and bars to the soulless stadium next to a motorway with nothing around it. It’s basically the epitome of the worst of the early 2000’s. 

Luckily I’ll be on a beach in Croatia for this one!
  • se9addick said:
    There’s something really soulless about the entire Reading away experience, from the soulless town full of chain pubs and bars to the soulless stadium next to a motorway with nothing around it. It’s basically the epitome of the worst of the early 2000’s. 

It was alright at Elm Park, although a shame that the natives were not so friendly.

Any chance of getting a game done whilst in Croatia?
  • se9addick said:
    There’s something really soulless about the entire Reading away experience, from the soulless town full of chain pubs and bars to the soulless stadium next to a motorway with nothing around it. It’s basically the epitome of the worst of the early 2000’s. 

It was alright at Elm Park, although a shame that the natives were not so friendly.

Hopefully - I’ll be in Split on a weekend and they have two teams (Hadjuk in the top flight and another team in the third tier) so a decent chance that one will be at home.
  • Just checked and Hadjuk Split are at home to Dynamo Zagreb on the weekend we’re there - that could be interesting!
  • se9addick said:
    Just checked and Hadjuk Split are at home to Dynamo Zagreb on the weekend we’re there - that could be interesting!
    Do that one at all costs, what a cracker.
  • My partner's house is in Reading and we stay there most weekends. Not sure if I'll  join him in the home section for this one
  • Haven’t been Reading since 2006 when Les Reed was at the wheel. Only ever heard terrible stuff about from everyone whose been. I’ll go via Clapham as will avoid having to pay for a travelcard. 
  • All booked up! Not a bad away day in that half hour from London pub right next to station 
  • Dull experience, though enjoyed my previous visit where we won 1-0 and spent most of the second half signing about Bob Peeters' hair
  • Sponsored links:

• This one is lovely and easy.

There are approximately 8 trains an hour running from Paddington to Reading, likewise coming back.  The train takes no more than 35 minutes.

Tickets can be bought on the day, without a railcard the cost is £20.70 return, with a railcard the cost is £13.65 return.

For people that have not been to Reading before, there are shuttle buses outside the station taking you to the ground but you would need to be at the bus stop one hour before kick off to allow yourself ample time to avoid missing the start.

There is a decent boozer at the station, but absolutely zero by the ground.
    Elfs is reading not the same price on the day £20.70 if so thesres no need to book early?
  • edited June 2019
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Hopefully - I’ll be in Split on a weekend and they have two teams (Hadjuk in the top flight and another team in the third tier) so a decent chance that one will be at home.
    Definitely go to watch Hadjuk. I did in 2011. It was about £6 to get in the most expensive seats and £1 a pint - and you don’t even needto move from your seat to get it.  Obviously this was a while ago so prices will have changed. The home fans behind the goal are mental - it’s just pure noise, flares and smokebombs. 
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Definitely go to watch Hadjuk. I did in 2011. It was about £6 to get in the most expensive seats and £1 a pint - and you don’t even needto move from your seat to get it.  Obviously this was a while ago so prices will have changed. The home fans behind the goal are mental - it’s just pure noise, flares and smokebombs. 
    Beer wenches, sounds good.
  • edited June 2019
    Haven’t been Reading since 2006 when Les Reed was at the wheel. Only ever heard terrible stuff about from everyone whose been. I’ll go via Clapham as will avoid having to pay for a travelcard. 
    If you have a tiny bladder like me, be careful.  Often SouthWestern do not have toilets on their trains.
  • Haven’t been Reading since 2006 when Les Reed was at the wheel. Only ever heard terrible stuff about from everyone whose been. I’ll go via Clapham as will avoid having to pay for a travelcard. 
    If you have a tiny  penuslike me, be careful.  Often SouthWestern do not have toilets on their trains.

If you have a tiny  penuslike me, be careful.  Often SouthWestern do not have toilets on their trains.

Ffs, Otto and you are working in tandem.
  • The bars in the ground serve reasonable food and drink. The bar in the hotel at the ground is also open.
  • Oi @ElfsborgAddick you going to answer my question 
  • clb74 said:
    Oi @ElfsborgAddick you going to answer my question 
    I posted tickets can be bought on the day.
    Beware of disruption on this route tomorrow due to industrial action by the RMT on South western Railway,trains from/to Paddington are unaffected by this.

South Western Railway strike: Workers begin four-day walkout

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49508213
  • Sponsored links:

• @clive and co

couple of noddy questions as i'm out the habit of getting trains round the country.

am i right in thinking they'd be no saving by getting my train tickets today as opposed to tomorrow?

for Reading, if i got a return to Reading from Paddington, can i jump on any train stopping at Reading like i would getting on London Bridge for Charlton, or will i have to stipulate a specific train / return train and be designated a specific seat?

Cheers
    Stuwall's cousin 

• Arrived back from Aus this morning and really looking forward to tomorrow, 1107 out of Paddington and 1910 back so a few beers, catch up with @charltonnick and seeing what I have been missing so far this season. 
  • think groupsave so 3 of you plus brings the price down, ill likely head into the 3 guineas at the station although not arriving until 11.55 so may be packed any other shouts of boozers? 
  • edited August 2019

@clive and co

couple of noddy questions as i'm out the habit of getting trains round the country.

am i right in thinking they'd be no saving by getting my train tickets today as opposed to tomorrow?

for Reading, if i got a return to Reading from Paddington, can i jump on any train stopping at Reading like i would getting on London Bridge for Charlton, or will i have to stipulate a specific train / return train and be designated a specific seat?

Cheers
    Stuwall's cousin 

Thats right,catch any train that stops at Reading,the fastest trains first stop is Reading journey time about 25 minutes.Tickets are no cheaper bought in advance but if you are buying your ticket from a Southeastern station make sure you book via Paddington & not Waterloo as different fares apply & there is also disruption on the Waterloo route.
  • @clive and co

Cheers
    Stuwall's cousin 

Same price.
  • A pleasure, as always.
  • edited August 2019
    A pleasure, as always.
    Your like the tommy driesen of the train thread world. Let someone do the hard actual work and try and take credit. 
  • A pleasure, as always.
    Your like the tommy driesen of the train thread world. Let someone do the hard actually work and try and take credit. 
    Where is that flag button?